Bulgarian Mercedes with Dinky base

For all Matchbox made Dinky toys
Kiwi78

Bulgarian Mercedes with Dinky base

Post by Kiwi78 »

Here is a little oddity that I haven't found much information about. Thought I'd share it and see what comes up. :)

matchboxkiwi

Re: Bulgarian Mercedes with Dinky base

Post by matchboxkiwi »

Wow! Never seen anything like that. I'll be interested to see what comments come through about this too!
Where did you get it from?

Cheers Steve
Matchboxkiwi
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Between the end of 1979 and 1981, the Dinky 'Brand' name was in termoil and was in danger of disappearing from the World of toys and models. To secure the name, various small Matchbox sized toys were sourced from a other companies who already had models of this size in their product lines, so several were marketed as 'DINKY' toys, thereby keeping the 'Brand' alive.

Ghosty.
Kiwi78

Post by Kiwi78 »

matchboxkiwi wrote:Wow! Never seen anything like that. I'll be interested to see what comments come through about this too!
Where did you get it from?

Cheers Steve
Matchboxkiwi

Trademe of course, where I buy most of my Matchbox and related cars (the Tomica come from overseas). I didn't know what I was getting at the time, only that I wanted to grab a few Bulgarians. This has made me wonder ever since because it would probably mean that the die/mold would have been modified in the UK before it was given to Mikro. I am aware of the line of Matchbox which were sold on Dinky cards but still kept Matchbox on the base (!). That's what throws me off with this one because it's an exception but then not even part of the line below... Maybe there were other plans which were then shelved before the casting was shipped to Bulgaria.

matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

I'm with you on this one Kiwi78. I have red carded models as you show but I thought that was it!
I've not seen your green one.
I'd like more information on this if anyone has any.

Cheers Steve
Matchboxkiwi
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

The six examples shown above were the first of two distinct ranges of '3-inchers' to be marketed under the 'DINKY' name and were just basically re-packaged models from other parties in a hurry to get the 'DINKY' name back into retail markets.

The second set of six models were intended to be specifically marked as 'DINKY' on the bases, and released a Year later, but were not released, for reasons I'll have to go away and check in the Dinky book, unless someone here has one to check, but those second set of models subjects are not that well known regards the subjects chosen, but some models from Bulgaria were chosen for this treatment, the Mercedes-Benz is looking like a candidate intended for this second set.

It is so fascinating to see such obscure models such as this turning-up in collectors circles, any Dinky experts want to come forward and explain more!

GHOSTHUNTER.
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

Looks like you have a keeper there Kiwi78. Well done.

Cheers Steve
Matchboxkiwi
Kiwi78

Post by Kiwi78 »

Thanks Ghosthunter, I didn't know anything about the second wave. So this makes sense then and the wave was shelved after the base modification similar to what I assumed. You've helped a lot, thank you.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

One model I do know was destined for the second set, was a BMW Turbo with a blister card catalogue number 107 and these later cards were orange with the model lying flat on the card, I.E. it sits on it's wheels and not on one side of it's body like the first set on red blister cards.

The second set would have, should have, or could have been marketed during 1981, but in this year, the parent company of Meccano at this time, 'AIRFIX', went bust themselves and all contracts with outside companies were stopped or cancelled, leaving the second set in limbo, waiting to be sold-off through outlets of unknown status.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Lummox

Post by Lummox »

Glad for you, my friend.
Looks like you really found something highly unique!
MoKo~LoCo