58c DAF Girder Truck

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

58c DAF Girder Truck

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (first edition) has two unlisted variations: I would suggest that 58-1a is a pre-production model since it features a green plastic grille/baseplate and tan girders, but 58-1b (no rivet or stud holding the window insert in place but otherwise as Nick's code 1) is plausible as a pre-production body casting included in the initial model release and, if confirmed, would become the new code 1. A distinction is made between cream and off-white body colours, the former occurring on Nick's variation codes 1, 2 and 3, whilst the later is only found on code 3.
The AIM “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) has no unlisted variations and merely states "body colour subject to shades".
Neither Houghton nor Stannard contain any unlisted variations, and U.K. Matchbox did not cover the model.
kwakers

Re: 58c DAF Girder Truck

Post by kwakers »

In the second NAMC Lesney Guide, Bob dropped both of these suspected pre-pro models to pare down to 4 basic variations now covered by Nick's listings.
I myself will now look for the version without roof pin or rivet for our collection thanks to your Post on Bob's early listings. I believe the flat inside roof may eventually be found to be either a very short initial run before the pre-production dies were changed to 'hold' the glaze with a rivet, or perhaps a small 'flat' trial run just after the roof rivet, but before the second pin style glaze holder was introduced to eliminate the time spent in spinning the early roof rivet.
Another casting detail found on the 47 Tipper Truck front plastic base that Harold Colpitts mentioned was two different tow guide widths used during the very late 'regular wheel era'. I believe this plastic base was also shared/ used on this 58C, and has either the earlier 7.1 mm outer width tow guide that matches the license plate, or a later 'small tow slot' with a 6.2 mm outer width which is visibly much narrower than the front license plate. Both widths were listed in the AIM Guide on the last regular wheel 47C Tipper with rear bumper cast, so maybe they could also both be found on the last run of these 58C DAF Girder trucks. kwakers
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

There are a couple of casting variations on the 58c DAF. Most 58cs have a gentle convex curve at the back of their cab, but I have one that has a straight cab wall. The same 58c has thinner supports on the vertical wall of the bed - measure at the bottom, they're around 0.9 mm compared to 1.3 mm on later models. This model has no tow guide and a chiselled rivet holding the glazing in place. It's mould 1 (the number is on the base just behind the cab). I have two others without tow guides: one has an unchiselled rivet and the other has either a very short rivet or no rivet at all. Both have the curved cab wall and thick bed wall supports.
Attachments
straight cab wall on right, curved on left
straight cab wall on right, curved on left
IMG_5610.jpg (358.84 KiB) Viewed 6523 times
thin bed wall supports on left
thin bed wall supports on left
IMG_5614.jpg (326.71 KiB) Viewed 6523 times
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

There are some more unlisted variations. Slightly different posts on the side of the load bed.
Attachments
DSCN6323.JPG
DSCN6323.JPG (20.75 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
Last edited by Diecast on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

different axle braces:
a) small braces
b) large braces
Antonin
Attachments
DSCN6324.JPG
DSCN6324.JPG (21.03 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
DSCN6325.JPG
DSCN6325.JPG (21.12 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

a) cream
b) off white
Attachments
DSCN6326.JPG
DSCN6326.JPG (18.79 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

a) with roof/window step
b) no roof/window step
Attachments
DSCN6328.JPG
DSCN6328.JPG (32.07 KiB) Viewed 6490 times
DSCN6327.JPG
DSCN6327.JPG (30.1 KiB) Viewed 6490 times
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Some great information that I will need to check.
I have noted the roof rivet pressed and unpressed, I do have a model without the rivet or pin listed in my notes.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Diecast wrote:a) cream
b) off white
I have three distinct shades - cream, off-white and bright white (the left example in my first picture)
nearlymint wrote:I have noted the roof rivet pressed and unpressed, I do have a model without the rivet or pin listed in my notes.
J
Thanks, Jason. I think the one without the roof rivet is, as Kwakers suggested, between the riveted and pinned versions. If I’m right yours should have the curved cab wall (like mine) and could have a tow guide.

Glenn
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Hi there Hugh, Dick, Glenn, Antonin, Jason and all,

Nice reference photos Antonin and Glenn and some very good detail.

Here are four of my main variations. The letter at the end is my label reference so I can keep track as codes alter.

Mould 1 straight cab, roof rivet spread, no tow guide, light red base plate, small brace ...... A

Mould 2 curved cab rear, roof rivet UN-spread, no tow guide, light red base plate, small brace ...... D

Mould 2 curved cab rear, roof stud, no tow guide, light red base plate, small brace ....... C

Mould 1 curved cab rear, roof stud, tow guide 7.3mm, dark red base plate, large brace ...... B

The brace refers to the bracing alongside the axle supports

My records indicate I have two un-pressed roof rivets but 1 is hiding from me at present.
The 58c with the roof rivet that I can show has not been pressed and for some reason has not allowed the window plastic to sit home; this in turn has not allowed the grille/base plate to take its correct position.
While it may be an oops it counts in my collection because of the roof rivet type finish.
An added touch is the silver trim to the 4 head lights, indicator lights and the DAF letters. Under magnification it looks like spray or possibly sponge applied, but not brush applied.
How it was done and when it was done is unknown but it has been done very neatly and looks very cool. 8-) :)
In the images by directing some light into the window plastic you can see the full shape of the rivet.
Note by adding some led light to pic on the right I have given myself a new window colour. :o :)

My image labelled B is to show the axle support large taller brace on mould 1 to show that both moulds were modified. Antonin has shown same modification to mould 2.
I expect all these larger braces to coincide with models having tow guides.

The variation that has my attention is where mould 1 labelled A has a straight cab and model labelled B which is about the last code also mould 1 has a curved cab. Each of my mould 2 has curved cab.

It was when I put a straight edge to the back of the cabs did I notice the vertical board directly behind cab can have smooth or ridged edges and this could be the same as drjeep mentions above with image number 5614.
It would appear this mould was modified to become a curved back on the cab like mould 2. I have taken the photo from the other direction to that taken by Glenn.
Refer to image titled “straight and curved cabs.”

Does anyone have the model with straight cab with mould 2 please?

Whilst trying to see what was obstructing the window plastic from being in the home position I noticed there were different number cast onto the inside of the base plate. Not the easiest thing to see without extra light but may prove useful with reference to tow guides

Interestingly 3 of the base plates have ref number 4904/102 and one just has a single reference or mould number. This is how they fit into my details above. This may be useful in narrowing down detail with 47c and 58c base plate time lines

4904/102 7 no tow guide..... D
4904/102 2 no tow guide..... C
4904/102 5 yes tow guide 7.3mm..... B
4 no tow guide.... A

It would appear the base plates are numbered from 1 to 8.

47c examples
4904/102 8 tow guide
4904/102 2 no tow guide
4904/102 2 tow guide
4904/102 1 tow guide
Unreadable
I am thinking there may be more than 8 given the two different size tow guides.

For reference my body colours of the 58c are:
A dark cream
D off white
C light cream
B light cream

If you require any other pics let us know.

Bert
Attachments
Un-pressed roof rivet
Un-pressed roof rivet
1 unpressed roof rivet.jpg (95.75 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
Late axle support braces
Late axle support braces
2 late axle support braces.JPG (55.71 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
Straight and curved cab with SAME mould number
Straight and curved cab with SAME mould number
3 straight and curved cab.jpg (82.26 KiB) Viewed 6437 times