Casting #16

A showcase of !-75 reg wheel models, a new model every week
kerbside

Casting #16

Post by kerbside »

16a Transporter Trailer, issued 1955, length 74mm, with ramp down 80mm, box type B.
16b Super Atlantic Trailer, issued 1960, length 78mm, box types B-C and D.
16c Scammell Snow Plough, issued 1963, length 74mm, box types D and E.
16d Case Tractor (Bulldozer), issued 1969, length 64mm, box type F and G.

The open and closed steps variations.

The two different plastic parts to take the tipper pin in place.

George T.
Brad Pittiful

Re: Casting #16

Post by Brad Pittiful »

open/closed step

open steps with hole in base

Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
matchbox_n_molars

Post by matchbox_n_molars »

I'm not sure if I've shared a photo of this model in the past or not. It seems to be a transition between the open step 16c snow plow and the model Dan has shown with the open steps on the left side of the cab and closed on the right.
With this model of mine the left side steps are open and the right side steps are MOSTLY closed. There is a small void in both the top and bottom window of the right side steps.

Greg in Cincinnati
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

matchbox_n_molars wrote:I'm not sure if I've shared a photo of this model in the past or not. It seems to be a transition between the open step 16c snow plow and the model Dan has shown with the open steps on the left side of the cab and closed on the right.
With this model of mine the left side steps are open and the right side steps are MOSTLY closed. There is a small void in both the top and bottom window of the right side steps.
This indicates to me that the step infill is the result of flashing over (i.e. tool wear) rather than a deliberate casting modification.
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

Idris wrote:This indicates to me that the step infill is the result of flashing over (i.e. tool wear) rather than a deliberate casting modification.
i dont know...i have two of these and they both look like the both closed steps variation...no real uneven spots...both look even and smooth
Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
matchbox_n_molars

Simple logic tells me that what Idris has postulated makes good sense. I can't understand why the folks at Lesney would have intentionally created an asymmetric model. It makes sense to me that the tool/die would have slowly degraded with use and some of these with flash over the steps would have been manufactured before they got around to repairing or replacing the die.
Greg in Cincinnati
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

Greg i just checked mine...mine look like the closed steps model...the front and back is smooth and doesnt look messy at all...would a bad mold leave flashing that perfectly smooth like the closed steps model
matchbox_n_molars

Boy Dan, the honest answer is "I don't know".
It seems one of two things happened here.
1. Lesney at some point intentionally modified one of the snow plow molds so that the steps on the right side of the cab would remain closed.
2. With use over time one of the snow plow molds began to wear a bit allowing for molten metal to seep into these small step holes on the right side of the cab where it wasn't supposed to seep.

If Lesney intentionally modified the mold then the model I've shared here would be an example of an incomplete casting where the metal didn't fully flow into the closed step mold. I think the more likely explanation is that my model is from the early stages of the mold beginning to fail, during which some metal, a "flash" got past the mold, but not enough to completely fill the steps. In time as the mold got more leaky the steps came out like your examples with a flash of metal totally covering the step cut outs. Without seeing how the two halves of the mold related it's hard to say if it makes sense that a flash layer could be as smooth and perfect as the examples you've got.

I guess the bottom line for me is I can't understand why Lesney would have intentionally modified only one side of the mold.
Greg in Cincinnati
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

im just going by the way the closed steps look on later models with the crisp detail when you look at the step...i could think the flash was there is it was messy looking for lack of better term...but the two closed step model looks the same as the open/closed step model as far and crisp step detail...im sure others know more of the flash over looks than i do...just stating my observation as an amateur!
matchbox_n_molars

Yes, I would agree Dan that you would think that non-intentional flash would not typically have a nice sharp uniform appearance. We'll probably never know for sure what happened here.
Greg in Cincinnati