General Toy Product (GTP) Plane

Morestone, Benbros, Charbens, DCMT, Kemlows & Moko.
McCarthyMR

General Toy Product (GTP) Plane

Post by McCarthyMR »

I know it's a plane but it's still a diecast vehicle and it has wheels which go round so it's sorta the right place.

I've found Information on this and GTP in general is extremely limited so if anyone has any insights or web links to try, it'd be greatly appreciated. :)

GHOSTHUNTER

Re: General Toy Product (GTP) Plane

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

This is unusual, if it is diecast, because they have made no attempt to make separate engines, just cast a slight raised area and painted them on the wings. It does look similar to a Douglas DC-3 Airliner, but as to who made it is unclear. Any markings at all on the underside you can show us, anything may help, plus pictures of the wheels etc may help.

Ghosty.
McCarthyMR

Post by McCarthyMR »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:This is unusual, if it is diecast, because they have made no attempt to make separate engines, just cast a slight raised area and painted them on the wings. It does look similar to a Douglas DC-3 Airliner, but as to who made it is unclear. Any markings at all on the underside you can show us, anything may help, plus pictures of the wheels etc may help.

Ghosty.
There's nothing underneath I'm afraid. It's tin to my basic knowledge.

By fluke I found other GTP products with numbers. This brought me to a page which mentioned that General Toy Product of Canada. Apparently, they always put GTP on the toys they made, the number corresponding to the product number.

GTP no longer exist and I have not been able to find either a dedicated page or online catalogue. Although I've found the odd product online, this is not one I've found. :(
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

There's a few tinplate models on the web eg (GTP Red Toy Car 571 Made in England & GTP 538 Speedboat Made in Gt Britain) and some other cars/trains with numbers in a similar range, one or two mention Glam Toy Products. But if there's no inscription maybe that's a red herring.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Nice one Johnboy, now I know who they are.

Glam Toy Products, sometimes called 'GLAMTOY' are from the early 1950's are tinplate construction in general, but other toys have been sourced from elsewhere, so not everything made by 'GTP' was tinplate.

They were made in the UK and they are more well known for making a series of 4 cars based on emergency vehicles like Fire, Police and Ambulance cars, all based on similar toys made in the USA.

Shown below is an example of one of the 'GTP' cars and note the MADE IN GT BRITAIN printing on the back, just above the rear bumper.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Attachments
GLAMTOYS.JPG
GLAMTOYS.JPG (47.76 KiB) Viewed 7673 times
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

I'm late to this thread... still catching up on a lot of forums - Glam Toy Products appear to have operated out of WALES and they marked their toys "Made In GT Britain" - this was in the 1950s. I'd love to see in more detail what is marked on the rear left side of the toy, just in front of the tail assembly - does this say "Made in Gt Britain"??

GTP made Locomotives, Service vehicles, Garages, boat and planes as well as the cars in various liveries and colours (Ambulance, Fire, Police and blue, red and green) - all the toys I have seen carry a GTP 5xx number on them (including the boats).

[EDIT] I just found this comment on http://www.miniatureaircraftcollectors. ... 3&start=60 not attributed to any specific UK manufacturer.

Airliner, Jet:
Twin-Jet Airliner, small, friction, swept wings, red jet engines lithographed atop wings, light blue, white upper fuselage, red markings, French roundels on wings, “GTP 541” in red on wings and in black on tail fin.

Ian
Last edited by toysnz on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:This is unusual, if it is diecast, because they have made no attempt to make separate engines, just cast a slight raised area and painted them on the wings...
That simply reflects the original British design for jet aeroplanes (e.g. De Havilland Comet, Gloster Meteor), with the engines incorporated into the wing structure. It was the Americans who came up with the ugly (but rather more practical) design of separate, uspended engine pods.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Idris wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:This is unusual, if it is diecast, because they have made no attempt to make separate engines, just cast a slight raised area and painted them on the wings...
That simply reflects the original British design for jet aeroplanes (e.g. De Havilland Comet, Gloster Meteor), with the engines incorporated into the wing structure. It was the Americans who came up with the ugly (but rather more practical) design of separate, uspended engine pods.
I was trying to point out that the 'GTP' model above would most likely have had a better representation of an engine if it were of diecast metal, but because it is of 'Tinplate' (which itself is still wrong, these are mild steel), it only has a mere suggestion of an engine pod, as dictated by the method of production and construction and it's intended market target, cheap so-called 'Penny Toys' sold on open markets and novelty shops etc.

GHOSTHUNTER.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

You have a pm Ghosty.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

Pages on Glam Toys at http://toysnz.com/GlamToyProducts based on my research so far and items in my collection..

KEVIN where did you get the photo of the GTP 535 Fire Chief?... its the only one I've seen so far that has "Made in GT. Britain" on its rear... all mine have "Made in England"...

Ian