Casting #14

A showcase of !-75 reg wheel models, a new model every week
kerbside

Casting #14

Post by kerbside »

14a Daimler Ambulance, issued 1955, length 49mm, box type B.
14b Daimler Ambulance, issued 1958, length 59mm, box types B and C.
14c lomas Ambulance, issued 1962, length 66mm, box types C-D and E.
14d Iso-Grifo, issued 1968, length 76mm, box types E and F. Stannards Book only lists the type E box.

The three (3) different types of wheels.

The three (3) different types of wheels.

Try to sort out the colours.

Three (3) very different colours, only two (2) are listed on Nicks variation site.

George T.
fintail

Re: Casting #14

Post by fintail »

Some 14s:

MatchboxFreak

Post by MatchboxFreak »

Thank you for the great photos and descriptions.

Since the 14a and 14b are models of the same vehicle, were produced in the same colors and were both sold in type B boxes, I find it difficult to tell the A series apart from the B series models in photographs.

Short of having a graphic scale in the photo, a view of the bottom or having the model in the hand, are there any distinguishing features between the 14a and 14b?

Thank you
Kurt
Happy hunting!
Kurt
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

Hello Kurt! The 14A's front door handles are very close to the rear door line, while the 14Bs have quite a bit of space between the back edge of the door and the handles.
The easiest way I know of telling the difference quickly Kurt is the fact that the 14A's wheels are very tiny, unrealistic, and look lost in the wheel wells of that smaller casting. The 14B's wheels really fill up their wheelwells, and look much more realistic than the 14A's....... kwakers
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Easy if you have the models in hand, The 14a has no baseplate and the 14b has a baseplate.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

Sometimes there is no photo of the base plate. Then the best is to compare the details of the handle and the position of the inscription "AMBULANCE"
Antonin
Attachments
DSCN5324.JPG
DSCN5324.JPG (56.38 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Antonin beat me to it :D There will also be a baseplate tongue visible through the rear doors for the larger version. The bottom line of the side doors can help too. Also as Dick mentioned, the wheels are quite different.
Attachments
IMG_6443.JPG
IMG_6443.JPG (78.68 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Hello Kurt, looks as though many of the collectors jumped in before me, As being in Australia we are too far ahead in time. But you should be all clued up by the responces. But the easy difference is as Nick says the 14b model has a base plate fitted, if only a picture is shown then ask the seller for a picture of the base? Also as kwakers says the wheels on the 14a model look very small metal wheels are 7 x 18 as on the 14b the metal wheels are 8.5 x 18.

George T.
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

johnboy wrote:Antonin beat me to it :D There will also be a baseplate tongue visible through the rear doors for the larger version. The bottom line of the side doors can help too. Also as Dick mentioned, the wheels are quite different.
You are right, there are so many details (mentioned by Dick, Nick, George and you) by which you can certainly determine 14a and 14b.
Antonin
fixer

Post by fixer »

checking Nicks listing on the 14c to see which codes my 2 fell into I noticed the footnote about the casting differences to the roof and Nick saying that more details were needed for coding , the first is a code 7 but has only 1 red cross to 1 side this has the recess to the roof of the cab , the second is code 19 without the recessed roof
reg