How do I fix this?

Restoration how to's
cody6268

How do I fix this?

Post by cody6268 »

Recently, I purchased a No. 6 Ford F-100 Pickup. It has some kind of stain on the front, possibly marker.

How do I get this gunk off without ruining it?
Attachments
0528141648-01.jpg
0528141648-01.jpg (66.98 KiB) Viewed 6588 times
fixer

Re: How do I fix this?

Post by fixer »

Try a cotton bud with methylated spirit, shouldn't do any damage
reg
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

The problem is that solvent-based marker ink often gets into the plastic rather than just sitting on the surface. (Whether it does or not depends on the combination of the plastic and the solvent used.) A mild solvent is always worth trying but, even if it comes off, I think you'll probably always see a shadow.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Idris wrote:The problem is that solvent-based marker ink often gets into the plastic rather than just sitting on the surface. (Whether it does or not depends on the combination of the plastic and the solvent used.) A mild solvent is always worth trying but, even if it comes off, I think you'll probably always see a shadow.
Cleaning plastics can be frustrating because of the variables involved and there are solvents and spirits that may work to different degrees but before trying anything harsh that may make things worse, I usually try something gentle first like warm soapy water and a cotton bud or wet wipes (baby style). I'm sure Tinman will be able to advise better than me but I've also had some luck with things like cif, Fairy Powerspray, wd-40, toothpaste, hairspray, etc. But I think with me it's more luck than judgement :D
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

If its nail varnish only acetone will dissolve it but that destroys plastic although soaking the car in hot water for 10 minutes should enable a finger nail to scrape nail varnish off plastic.If its lipstick then a good degreaser will remove it
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

johnboy wrote:
Idris wrote:The problem is that solvent-based marker ink often gets into the plastic rather than just sitting on the surface. (Whether it does or not depends on the combination of the plastic and the solvent used.) A mild solvent is always worth trying but, even if it comes off, I think you'll probably always see a shadow.
Cleaning plastics can be frustrating because of the variables involved and there are solvents and spirits that may work to different degrees but before trying anything harsh that may make things worse, I usually try something gentle first like warm soapy water and a cotton bud or wet wipes (baby style). I'm sure Tinman will be able to advise better than me but I've also had some luck with things like cif, Fairy Powerspray, wd-40, toothpaste, hairspray, etc. But I think with me it's more luck than judgement :D
I keep all the same stuff in my Handbag as well Johnboy...

Ghosty.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:
johnboy wrote:
I keep all the same stuff in my Handbag as well Johnboy...

Ghosty.
:lol: Manbag, not handbag :lol:
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
motorman

Post by motorman »

Johnybag?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
AJR

Post by AJR »

MER car polish is good.