Help with display case covers

Restoration how to's
Johnny Pimp

Help with display case covers

Post by Johnny Pimp »

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this but here goes...

I've recently bought a Superfast display case.

As you can see in the photos, the case itself is in reasonable nick but the cover has become tarnished through either sunlight or smoke damage. Personally, I believe it is beyond restoration but would like a second opinion before I pursue my other options which are: -

1) Produce my own replacement using a sheet of acetate or;
2) Commission a plastics vacuum company to replicate the originals (although I doubt this is feasible due to the likely cost).

Any suggestions welcomed, thanks.
John

Want Matchbox? Visit www.matchboxforsale.com !
matchboxtom

Re: Help with display case covers

Post by matchboxtom »

I have no answers but if you find a solution I have a couple of these myself...
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

It's amazing that these inexpensive displays have lasted this long. They were designed to be cheap and disposable.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

The covers for these wall displays are prone to both yellowing and cracking as a result of aging.
There are a significant number of such displays still around and I would have thought that many of the owners desperately want new covers. Since the shape is extremely simple (although admittedly on the large side), it may well be that the necessary tooling is relatively inexpensive.
If I were you, I would investigate the costs of having say 10 or 25 covers made and, at the same time, put out feelers amongst fellow collectors regarding who might be interested. It may well be that with the tooling costs spread over that number of units, the unit cost becomes low enough for the project to be viable. (Don't forget the expense of posting/shipping, although this can be negated by handing them over at toy fairs.)
Once the tooling has been paid for, any further covers become extremely cheap to manufacture and the postage costs therefore become less of a problem, thereby opening the door to e.g. Ebay sales.