66b Harley Davidson & Sidecar

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

66b Harley Davidson & Sidecar

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (first edition) differentiates between "bronze" and "very dark bronze or copper", whilst the AIM “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) notes "metallic body colour subject to shades of light, dark or appears to be gold".
Stannard has no variations not already listed by Nick, and U.K. Matchbox only ever covered the model in a space-filler kind of way (vol. 6, no. 6 (Feb. 1983), p207) together with the 4c and 36b.
Houghton has an interesting variation listed as 66b-2: metallic light blue. This appears to be the 66b with the 4c paint, and the listing is accompanied by a photograph. Unfortunately he does not catalogue the brace variation and so it is impossible to determine the timeline for this variant. Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this model in metallic pale blue?

Please note that in Nick's catalogue listing the two variations are in the wrong order: it would be nonsensical for the strengthening brace to have been deleted later in the model's life.
nickjones
Site Admin

Re: 66b

Post by nickjones »

I saw a light green 66b harley colour trial at one of the picketts lock toyfairs around 1999.
drooooool
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
nickjones
Site Admin

Re: 66b Harley Davidson & Sidecar

Post by nickjones »

The 66b Harley Davidson page has been updated, George's (Kerbside) casting mod has been added and also George's photo, Thanks George.
Nick Jones.
Tinman

Re: 66b

Post by Tinman »

nickjones wrote:I saw a light green 66b harley colour trial at one of the picketts lock toyfairs around 1999.
drooooool
What color green?
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Hi Joe.
I saw it inside a glass fronted display cabinet so did not get to handle it, The seller was busy talking, It was heavily playworn but still in one piece.
The colour was a light green similar or possibly the same as the common light green singer van. I saw it about 20 years ago at the Picketts Lock toyfair so my memory of it is not that good, As I remember it was light green gloss but it might possibly have been light green metallic.
Nick Jones.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

Even though the green color trial 66 Motorcycle looked heavily playworn Nick, it was very common for these first casting models to then be used in the factory prototype shop to 'Stress Test' the brand new castings. Being that the handlebars are so brittle on this cycle, it is amazing that the one you saw was still in one piece and unbroken. Chances are good that the cycle went home with someone straight out of the factory, but of course there were always the children of the factory workers who may have had some fun with it.......LOL
I have a pre-pro color trial from Joe Stone's collection that came out of the factory 'very playworn'. Joe was somehow able to buy quite a few of these well used factory 'specials' on one of his trips to the Lesney factory in England, and they all remained in his own collection for quite some time until it was sold complete 20+ years ago. kwakers
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

After reading my Post again, I have to clarify that my color trial that I mentioned is NOT a 66B Harley Motorcycle from 1962, but a 43C Pony Trailer in blue from 1968. Interestingly, it has an unpainted chassis, and only a single (prototype shop) crimped axle on it, even from that late in the regular wheel era.......kwakers
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Just a note that the rear corner on the base can have a sharp corner or a small curve.
66b
66b
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

66b bases 480x421-003.JPG
66b bases 480x421-003.JPG (40.09 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
This my photo that was on Nicks variation site, as you can see that one corner is a direct triangle not a curve.
This variation was placed on Nicks site back in 1914.
George T.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Hi George
I am looking at the rear brace.
Cheers J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home