DY13 1955 Bentley "R" TYpe Contnental

For all Matchbox made Dinky toys
Wolfie Ginsburg

DY13 1955 Bentley "R" TYpe Contnental

Post by Wolfie Ginsburg »

A graceful Bentley - strange that as they had the licence for this superb car this one didn't feature in the miniature range

A beautiful blue first

I collect Matchbox Toys - big and small

GHOSTHUNTER

Re: DY13 1955 Bentley "R" TYpe Contnental

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I need to just make it clear that the two Bentley models shown by "Wolfie" are...the steel blue one was the first issue and then the darker blue was the later issue, not as implied by the order of the two images.

GHOSTHUNTER.
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

This is my favourite casting in the range.Not many of these made 1:1 however a retired neighbour back in the late 1970s owned a pair,one in maroon,one in medium blue.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Those Bentleys are beautiful!
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

motorman wrote:Those Bentleys are beautiful!
The Bentley 'R' Type 'Continental' is a beautiful car in real life, with only 208 examples made, not all were fitted with the H.J. Mulliner body, only 193 as modelled by 'Matchbox/Dinky'.

It was the fastest production car in the World when new and today, a competent owner could still scare a few modern hot hatches!

For such a wonderful car, there were very few models made of it, the first being by Tri-Ang as part of the small 'Push and Go' range (around "Matchbox" size) during the mid-50's, but the first 43rd scale model (same size as the 'Matchbox/Dinky' above), was not made until the mid-70's by 'Mikansue' as part of the 'Gran Tourismo' series and is now very hard to find.

The 'Matchbox/Dink'y version has captured the flowing body lines really well and as one Henry Royce once said..."If it looks right, it is right"...

GHOSTUNTER.
motorman

Post by motorman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:
motorman wrote:Those Bentleys are beautiful!
"If it looks right, it is right"...

GHOSTUNTER.
It's without doubt right IMHO!!
MOTORMAN

GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

SOME NOTES ON THIS FABULOUS MODEL...

October 1990, the model went on sale in all the main markets, including the UK, for £6.75. This first version was painted in what Matchbox called 'Aluminium blue' with dark blue interior, the first examples have a gloss finish main body, then later examples have a satin finish main body. The first examples have 'Hot Foiled' side window frames. In September 1992, the body colour was changed to a dark blue with a cream interior.

The dark blue version also has the registration finished in black with white letters, a finish that should have been done on the first version, but changed due to cost, instead the letters and number, were moulded onto the index plates. Some examples from late 1992, have the side window frames 'Hot Foiled' to represent 'Chrome' frames.

The index is "KWT 1" an actual registration used on Ivor Gordon's 1954 car (Ivor Gordon is a car dealer), but his car in real life was painted black, but Matchbox rather wisely chose the two different blues for the model.

So the model is based on the real car with chassis number...BC 19D.

GHOSTHUNTER.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Thanks Kevin lots of info mate, greatly appreciated.
MOTORMAN

SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Interesting details from GHOSTHUNTER -does he know the registrations of the blue + maroon pair owned by an elderly resident of Stanmore, Middlesex, 1977- mid 1980s? Blue car was still on the road when I moved away but maroon car either was stored in garage or sold off circa 1980, both having what looked like original 1950s big silver lettering on black plates.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

SMS88 wrote:Interesting details from GHOSTHUNTER -does he know the registrations of the blue + maroon pair owned by an elderly resident of Stanmore, Middlesex, 1977- mid 1980s? Blue car was still on the road when I moved away but maroon car either was stored in garage or sold off circa 1980, both having what looked like original 1950s big silver lettering on black plates.
Hello SMS88.
I will look on my 'R-type 'Continental' register when I can get back home, I don't have it with me at my Father's house. If those two cars are in their original colours, it should be possible to track them down, if I do find them I will post the details here on this thread.

Ghosthunter.