Saving the old material...

A new model to be featured every week
18power

Saving the old material...

Post by 18power »

Hello all, as most of you know it has been a hard few weeks for the VBD forum.. I am sure Nick has had tons of things to do and has really kept it together with lots of hard work and a terrible situation.. I for one think he handled it very well and made the right choice... Now let's all try and help out somehow cause it is a huge task for him and the admins... On my part I tried saving some of the old stuff and would like to start with the old casting show from the old (2nd site).. I don't know how much this will work cause I have had trouble saving some of the picture links. It had to be done one at a time in the right order and right page number etc.. . So if a link has no picture that means it was lost and could not be retrieved. Most I was able to save, however unfortunately some members lost all their pictures such as nearlymint.. The funny thing about his picture links is that they opened but gave completely wrong pictures.. Most of the time I would get pictures of an RW display case! Another member sadly is motorman, all his picture links gave "This page can not be displayed"... So please be patient as I try to get those pages back up.. It takes a huge amount of time to fix all those links...

There are three types of pictures to work on.. First the ones that have a hyper link connecting it to an online storage site such as photobucket .. These have to be rerouted and pasted in here.. The 2nd type are the ones that have been uploaded and still had an unbroken link on lefora, these have to be downloaded from the saved page by opening the thread in a program like MS word or other, saving them on my computer then uploading them as an attachment at the exact place in the reproduced thread here.. The third type are the pictures that were displayed only by hyper links on Lefora.. These have to be downloaded directly from Lefora and then uploaded here again at the correct place...It takes a lot of stitching work!.. Too many broken links that have to be patched up to keep the integrity of the text and pictures connecting the words. One by one.... but I reckon I can manage one or two pages a day.

PS: PLEASE VERY IMPORTANT!
Please do not remove or change the locations of your images from storage sites like Photobucket etc... Thinking oh well now that all has been saved I might as well save space and delete or remove them.. The reason for this is that in most situations I have tried keeping and using the storage site hyper links and have not physically saved them... (I had to save them for a few members only)... So if you move, delete or change the location of your pictures there will just be a lot of dead links..
Thanks!

Cheers
Last edited by 18power on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Naji (The Lebanon)
motorman

Re: Saving the old material...

Post by motorman »

I have PM'd you mate
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Johnny Pimp

Post by Johnny Pimp »

Great work, Naji.

I was going to suggest starting over but this is much better option.

Thanks for your efforts.
John

Want Matchbox? Visit www.matchboxforsale.com !
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Hi Naji,
Not sure how to help with adding the pictures?
Regards jAson
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
18power

Post by 18power »

nearlymint wrote:Hi Naji,
Not sure how to help with adding the pictures?
Regards jAson
Hi Jason, at this point I don't know if you could help cause you would need to upload images to an online storage site and give me the hyper link (Not very practical I guess)... But it would be great if you can repost them yourself either as an attachment or hyperlink... Each time I finish recreating and rebuilding a complete "old" casting post, I right "The end" so all members that want to repost broken linked pictures or new ones for that matter can.. The show must go on! ;)
Naji (The Lebanon)
18power

Post by 18power »

Johnny Pimp wrote:Great work, Naji.

I was going to suggest starting over but this is much better option.

Thanks for your efforts.
Thanks John, I think you guys should continue new threads starting and including #25... It will take some time for me to catch up.. Trying to manage one or two castings a day..

Cheers
Naji (The Lebanon)
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello Guys, I have been asked by Hugh (Idris) and Alex (Motorman) to try and re-post as many of the old 'Lefora' based 'Superfast' Casting Show threads as possible here on our current site.

Naji (18 Power), had done some of these already from #1 to #4 (maybe others, I have not checked his total), and he took great pains to save all the comments and views attached to pictures in those postings I.E. the material that makes up the thread we all read and the way he achieved this was a very time consuming method ("a lot of stitching together" he said), so I have re-posted one thread so far, but it does not contain the comments and views attached to those pictures, sorry for that, but I could not see an easier way of doing it against the way Naji was doing it.

My first attempt needs editing to put the pictures in an order (not difficult, just needs a little time), and I will try and make sure the following re-posts are in order, but at least the pictures will be available for viewing again.

Unfortunately, some pictures have been lost indefinitely because of the way the old 'Lefora' site was messed-up with the wrong pictures appearing with a members post and many pictures suffering a broken link.

I have re-saved all the threads from the old site and I could put a link to them, but I now know many forum members are unable to use a link back to that site to see those threads for themselves, so for now the above method will sufice.

GHOSTHUNTER.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Ghosty a big thank you for your attempts to retrieve as much as you can from the old forum.

Your efforts are very much appreciated mate.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

motorman wrote:Ghosty a big thank you for your attempts to retrieve as much as you can from the old forum.

Your efforts are very much appreciated mate.
I'll second that, Cheers Ghostie,
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK