65a 3.4 litre jaguar

Is it genuine or is it fake?
brian

65a 3.4 litre jaguar

Post by brian »

i have only just joined the forum and this is my first post so it could all go wrong .i have only been collecting matchbox for a short while and i bought a few cars at auction in there boxes .the 65a was amongst them.i was wondering if any one can tell me if this is genuine as it has 3/ 8mm wheels and 1/ 9mm wheel that are grey plastic.the front offside is the 9mm wheel ,it is also 1mm wider than the other 3.the thing that bothers me the most is the riveted base, the inside of the car doesnt looked played about with looking at the rivet stems.but as you can see they have not been burred over to make a tight fit.i dont no what the stems look like before they are burred over ,can not find a picture of one to check.the car is a metallic blue. if any one could tell me it would be much appreciated.

thanks brian

nickjones
Site Admin

Re: 65a 3.4 litre jaguar

Post by nickjones »

Hi Brian.
Welcome to the forum,
We have seen these 'chisel cut' rivets before, They are usually found on colour trials or prototypes so it may well have been assembled by Jack Odell himself.
The base looks like it is flat or matt black which would tell us it is an early casting, Do you have another Jaguar to compare it with as it may be cast slightly different to the regular model, It's a nice find and one that we would all like to have.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
brian

Post by brian »

hi nick
thanks for the reply.i haven't got one to compare it with,but have found some on ebay with pictures of the under side to compare it to and none of them match.i only purchased it yesterday from the auction at bury st edmunds.
brian

Post by brian »

the base is shiney
motorman

Post by motorman »

Welcome Brian,

Thats a lovely model,

I note that the image looking front on to the car shows different tyre widths, the one on the right (as you look at the image) is noteably wider than the one on the left!!

If you are not happy with this Jag, i will happily give it a home :lol:
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Potentially very interesting with punched rather than spun rivets. As mentioned, if genuine, these would point to hand assembly. However, it's strange for it to be a hand-assembled model when there's a mismatched wheel (unless this model's purpose was to provide a comparison of the two different wheel sizes).
In the first picture, it looks like the paint has worn off the raised letters on the baseplate. Is this indeed the case or is it (as I suspect) simply an optical illusion?
brian

Post by brian »

thankyou for the replies.some off the raised letters on the baseplate have worn thin of paint.just looked on ebay at completed sales and found the same model,the only difference i can see is the rivets on the base.
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Hi Brian.
You would probably have to compare the inside of the car rather than the outside, There might be braces supporting the rivet posts, door pillars or behind the bumper/grill that are missing from your model.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
brian

Post by brian »

nickjones wrote:Hi Brian.
You would probably have to compare the inside of the car rather than the outside, There might be braces supporting the rivet posts, door pillars or behind the bumper/grill that are missing from your model.
hi nick
as you can tell not been collecting that long but i tried to take a picture of the rear of the car from inside,this is what i came up with,not very good.if i knew someone local i would take it round to them but i dont.i will try and get one from a toy fair when i next go to try and compare.

Image[/url]
numi

Post by numi »

This specimen is highly questionable in my books.
The baseplate with much larger rivet holes and with signs of being drilled sure looks like a donor with evidence of tampering and being in & out a few times. Quite amateurish i might add. The front wheel seems to be an oops.
Sorry,just my take.
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.