Three-way Axle Crimps

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
DrJeep

Re: Three-way Axle Crimps

Post by DrJeep »

yellowfoden wrote:This is the latest we have seen so far time wise. It was released in January 1965 ( I can’t remember the day ) in Europe but had been released in November 1964 in USA. So the chances of finding a code1 with three way crimp in the UK would be somewhat lessened if the first off the assembly line went to the states, so a good find here.

Judging by the nice crisp condition of the wheel tread it looks to have seen little play miles but hub/boss is quite scored as though the crimp is quite aggressive. It also looks to have a flat end as apposed to slightly round. What does it look like from the side view and how does it compare to previous model photos please?
I take it is just the one wheel.
Yes, the end of the axle is quite flat and there's not much extra width.
IMG_7337.jpg
IMG_7337.jpg (338.59 KiB) Viewed 15802 times

I think it's very much like all the previous models. Interestingly the back wheel is like the Rolls Royce I posted earlier, with deep striations. This wheel has also worn around the axle, perhaps because the edge is quite sharp?
IMG_7335.jpg
IMG_7335.jpg (375.41 KiB) Viewed 15802 times
On both axles the other end is quite domed.
front axle
front axle
IMG_7334.jpg (255.77 KiB) Viewed 15802 times
back axle
back axle
IMG_7336.jpg (358.51 KiB) Viewed 15802 times
The Studebaker is notoriously difficult to photograph but I think this one shows the colour - as Nick's guide says, it's virtually identical to the Commer ice cream van, and much darker and less turquoise than the later models. The roof slide on this one is slightly darker than the body, I think because the body has a white undercoat (you may be able to see this in some of the pictures). I hadn't realised that the earliest models went to the USA. This one must have missed the boat!
IMG_7340.jpg
IMG_7340.jpg (252.46 KiB) Viewed 15802 times
Sebastian10

Post by Sebastian10 »

This one seems to have the 3 way crimp on one end of the front axle. :) It was sold on ebay last month

Sebastian :)
Attachments
resized Matchbox zephyr6 with 3 way front axle crimp.jpg
resized Matchbox zephyr6 with 3 way front axle crimp.jpg (102.23 KiB) Viewed 15460 times
SuperFast

Post by SuperFast »

The latest arrival was this Jaguar, I didn't see the axle end as I won this. But now as I hold this in my hands I can see this "axle end" on the front wheel.
RW65A_metblue.jpg
RW65A_metblue.jpg (436.96 KiB) Viewed 15273 times
RW65A_metblue_frontaxle.jpg
RW65A_metblue_frontaxle.jpg (266.4 KiB) Viewed 15273 times
Sven
Infected by Superfast
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Very nice Sven,

Thank you for adding another three way crimped example to this thread.
I will add this to the table earlier in the thread as we hunt for common factors about these axle ends.
A wonderful find.

Bert

table on page 6 updated
Sebastian10

Post by Sebastian10 »

Not sure if this one qualifies as a three way crimp as the grooves are a lot more shallow and not as well defined - to me it appears as if a three way crimp was attempted but didn't work out, but I thought I would post a photo anyway to see what others think

Sebastian :)
Attachments
20 Rear offside view of SPW with rear trim and red lights.jpg
20 Rear offside view of SPW with rear trim and red lights.jpg (110.92 KiB) Viewed 15198 times
20 Close up view of rear offside wheel.jpg
20 Close up view of rear offside wheel.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 15198 times
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Sebastian10 wrote:Not sure if this one qualifies as a three way crimp as the grooves are a lot more shallow and not as well defined - to me it appears as if a three way crimp was attempted but didn't work out, but I thought I would post a photo anyway to see what others think Sebastian :)
Hello Sebastian,

Yes, I would say that is the same as we are seeing as the ones on the table that I will continue to update. This also ties in with the period of all others. Thanks for posting the image of this one, it will be interesting to see if others pop up now.

However I think the one you posted earlier with front left wheel looks very similar to a couple of mine and think these are a different method of finishing.

Regards
Bert
paelzermaen

Post by paelzermaen »

Found this front axle 3way crimp on a 35 Marshall Horse Box.
The back axle is normal. I assume, that both of the axles are done in a consecutive process. Then the 3 way crimping would be a temporary malfunction of the crimping machine?
1-DSC00281.JPG
1-DSC00281.JPG (280.26 KiB) Viewed 11509 times
THOMAS
in Black Forest
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

paelzermaen wrote:The back axle is normal. I assume, that both of the axles are done in a consecutive process. Then the 3 way crimping would be a temporary malfunction of the crimping machine?
it's certainly looking that way, meaning that these three-way axle ends are by accident rather than design.