30c Faun 8-Wheeled Crane

one new model to be updated each week
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: 30c Faun 8-Wheeled Crane

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

DrJeep wrote:I'm tempted to get a really bad 30c and find out what happens when it's squeezed in a vice - I think something might break! But mine is odd - perhaps something has happened to it either in or after the factory.
A good idea to see if we can replicate the look on the wheel arches of your example...just make absolutely sure the model you choose is not another un-recorded variation, imagine trying to explain away the fact we damaged a rare version... :lol:

Ghosty.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:imagine trying to explain away the fact we damaged a rare version... :lol:
Just say it was a certain German collector! :D
Sebastian10

Post by Sebastian10 »

I now have an example of the thin brace/thick cab wall with the dull orange colour jib as per the attached lower picture :)

I have also discovered another mixed wheel variation - it is very playworn but an interesting find as it has thin wheels on the 4th axle as well as on the 3rd ( the other 2 mixed wheel versions I have shown previously have either 1 or 2 thin wheels just on the 3rd axle) :)

This one has the 2 minute casting pips on the inside of the cab - these are located at the middle section of the top of the rear cab wall where it meets the roof. It doesn't have the base protusion on the top side of the base between the 2 casting rings.

Picture of the mixed wheel variant as per below

Happy hunting :D

Sebastian
Attachments
copy of playworn crane with 4 thin wheels and 4 thick wheels base view.jpg
copy of playworn crane with 4 thin wheels and 4 thick wheels base view.jpg (130.28 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
a 8 wheel crane with dull orange jib nearside view.jpg
a 8 wheel crane with dull orange jib nearside view.jpg (105.41 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
paelzermaen

Post by paelzermaen »

Hi there !
Found some more casting differences at the boom.
There are booms with double casting ridges and single ridges at the lower part, as seen in the pics. The one with the single ridge must be the earlier one, as my crane without the base ridge has the single ridged boom.
Boom with double ridge line on left, single line on the right.
Boom with double ridge line on left, single line on the right.
5-DSC00035-001.JPG (176.78 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
Same on unpainted parts.
Same on unpainted parts.
1-DSC00047-001.JPG (161.38 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
More casting differences on the inside. But these ones are more "Schrödinger differences" (Schrödingers cat in the box, you know), as they cannot be detected at a intact model.
2-DSC00031-001.JPG
2-DSC00031-001.JPG (159.7 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
Here the comparison of thick cab ridge /thin cab wall on the left, thin cab ridge and thick cab wall on the right.
7-DSC00044-001.JPG
7-DSC00044-001.JPG (283.26 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
From the inside you can see a small casted triangel on the model with thin cab wall, which disappeared apparendly on the thick cab wall version.
4-DSC00034-001.JPG
4-DSC00034-001.JPG (137.96 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
And here my model without baseplate ridge, which I found a few weeks ago. Very happy about that. :D
6-DSC00037-001.JPG
6-DSC00037-001.JPG (131.29 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
THOMAS
in Black Forest
Pierkemimi

Post by Pierkemimi »

My two models with no brace : one with double casting ridges and one with single ridges at the lower part. Hardly to see but with my glasses and magnifying glass good to see. Thanks, another variation for the list.
Will check the rest later on.
Sebastian10

Post by Sebastian10 »

As there hasn't been any recent posts on this thread I thought I would post another model

This one is just slightly different in colour shading in that the body is a glossy green whilst the crane is a semi matt 'burnt' orange colour :)

Sebastian
Attachments
9. For forum a 8 wheel crane in gloss with semi matt orange boom near side view .jpg
9. For forum a 8 wheel crane in gloss with semi matt orange boom near side view .jpg (130.32 KiB) Viewed 5086 times
9. For forum a 8 wheel crane in gloss with semi matt orange boom off side view .jpg
9. For forum a 8 wheel crane in gloss with semi matt orange boom off side view .jpg (136.67 KiB) Viewed 5086 times
9. For forum a 8 wheel crane  in gloss with semi  matt orange boom front view.jpg
9. For forum a 8 wheel crane in gloss with semi matt orange boom front view.jpg (80.65 KiB) Viewed 5086 times
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

It's been a while, but I've had another go at the 30c listing.
30c Faun version 5
30c Faun version 5
30c Faun v5.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
What's new?
  • - I've acquired another couple of cranes with the thin cab wall. Both have the baseplate with a beam across the front axle, suggesting this was an early change. But I also have a thick-walled 30c with the baseplate with two plates, so the earlier plate was still around for a while.

- no-one has shown a turquoise / mint green 30c with the thick cab wall. I think this variant did not exist (unless someone has one, ideally play worn?)

- on the other hand, I think it's still possible that the turquoise crane could come with the beam base, because both bases were in use on the thin walled 30c, so I've left this one in, just in case one turns up.

- we've seen that some crane jibs have double casting ridges. Kurt (Pierkemimi) has both on the braceless early 30c, so it seems that there were two mouldings for the jib throughout production.

- we've also seen some internal changes to the jib, beautifully illustrated by Paelzermaen. I've assumed that these are co-incident with the thicker bearing surface but this may not be right.
I've assumed here that the thicker jib bearing surface is also linked to the unpainted rivet, but it's easily possible that there are cranes with unpainted rivets and thin bearings. The unpainted rivet obviously reflects a change in the painting process, with the inside of the jib also having a thinner coat.

Apart from the turquoise crane with the beam base, the only variation we haven't seen is the tow-guided final version with thick wheels and a red hook. Hooks are easily changed, but as this version is listed in early catalogues it seems highly likely to be a factory-produced variation.

I haven't included different shades of orange, though the colour does vary. The orange is also prone to fading. I haven't included the casting protrusion in the inside of the base because I don't know which variations it's on - I don't have one with this. I've removed my suspect wider wheel arch version until someone finds another (my new braceless crane has normal wheel arches).
30c Faun cranes. First and last bases on the boxes.
30c Faun cranes. First and last bases on the boxes.
IMG_6141.jpg (287.85 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
Sebastian10

Post by Sebastian10 »

This one has a semi matt green finish - I don't think this is paint fade as the colour is consistent all over including the base :) :)

Happy collecting :D

Sebastian
Attachments
1. a 8 wheel crane in semi matt finish base view.jpg
1. a 8 wheel crane in semi matt finish base view.jpg (154.24 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
1. a 8 wheel crane in semi matt finish front view.jpg
1. a 8 wheel crane in semi matt finish front view.jpg (91.49 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
1. a 8 wheel crane semi matt finish near side view.jpg
1. a 8 wheel crane semi matt finish near side view.jpg (164.98 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
1. a 8 wheel crane in semi matt finish off side view.jpg
1. a 8 wheel crane in semi matt finish off side view.jpg (161.26 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Do we know why axles 2 and 3 run through elongated holes in the housing while axles 1 and 4 run through holes.

I have taken a detail of Sebastian's fine image and added yellow highlights to indicate what I mean.

Put some sponge above these axles and you a little bit of suspension!

Ghosthunter.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Do we know why axles 2 and 3 run through elongated holes in the housing while axles 1 and 4 run through holes.
Good question! I think it’s just to keep all four axles on the ground while allowing for manufacturing tolerances, especially as the axles are attached to two separate castings that are riveted together.

The 17d Hoveringham is similar: it started with plastic springs on the central axles but these were soon dropped, presumably to save money and when someone realised that gravity performs much the same function at zero cost. The Hoveringham was released in 1963 so this had all worked through by the 1965 launch of the Faun.