Introduction to Beginners' Corner

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Introduction to Beginners' Corner

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Having looked at the Cougar base again in an enhanced version of the picture, I have to agree there is some issue with the surface and as Glen seems to have noticed, some evidence of the previous 'PATENT' text near the edge of the baseplate towards the bottom of the picture below.

Is this model genuine or not. Perhaps Rainer can expand on this.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

It's interesting to note that raham2001 last logged in at 9 p.m. on 23rd April (i.e. after the above post from Ghosty), but did not leave a response to any of the concerns raised about his models.
raham2001

Post by raham2001 »

Hello Ghosthunter,
if the cougar has had a pat. number, why should it have been removed then, is there a plausible explanation for that? What would be the advantage for this effort?
raham2001

Post by raham2001 »

Hi Idris,
Since I'm working in the field, I'm only today to respond to your feedback.
Is it possible to change the interior without opening the base plate? Did the interior design of the pre model look different? Would be nice if you could give me some more information about that.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

raham2001 wrote:Is it possible to change the interior without opening the base plate? Did the interior design of the pre model look different? Would be nice if you could give me some more information about that.
The Miura is known for having generally poor, easy-to-release baseplate rivets, presumably because the rivet posts are fractionally too short. (The SF23 VW Camper is another example of this.)
As regards the two interiors, the early one has an approximately 1mm x 1mm bead between the side of the transmission tunnel and the floor forward of the seats. This is missing on later mouldings (and so provides a good way of telling whether a white-interior RW Miura is the genuine article).

It would be interesting to know how you came by these three models.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

raham2001 wrote: if the cougar has had a pat. number, why should it have been removed then, is there a plausible explanation for that? What would be the advantage for this effort?
I think there’s a well-known prepro of the Cougar without the patent numbers. Someone may have wanted a replica of this for their collection. Or if it’s a fake, the maker may not have realised that the cream Cougar can also be found with patent numbers. I’m pretty certain this one isn’t original - the remains of the number prove this.
raham2001

Post by raham2001 »

Hi Idris ,
I have the 3 models bought by the wife of a deceased toy collector from the Ruhr area.
raham2001

Post by raham2001 »

Idris,
thanks for explanation of the differences.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

raham2001 wrote:I have the 3 models bought by the wife of a deceased toy collector from the Ruhr area.
We'll almost certainly never know where they came from. It's a shame because it looks as though one or more people were feeding him questionable models. Unfortunately, a quick look at Ebay shows that a great many collectors do not do their research before bidding either on obvious fakes or with known fakers.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:The Miura is known for having generally poor, easy-to-release baseplate rivets, presumably because the rivet posts are fractionally too short. (The SF23 VW Camper is another example of this.)
...or could it be that, because Lesney used two rivets instead of one, they are smaller in diameter and therefore easier to loosen?