Three-way Axle Crimps

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Sebastian10

Re: Three-way Axle Crimps

Post by Sebastian10 »

yellowfoden wrote:
A quick check of each of the axle ends we have to date of the three way type could reveal that the dome end will either have or not have tool marks caused by gripping the dome to allow axle to be held stationary.
In the case of my 31b the dome head does not have these tool marks and I noted this in an image number 3 earlier in the thread.

Bert
I can confirm that using a magnifying glass on my 47b Ice cream van the dome end of the three way axle does not seem to have any tool marks. The dome is very rounded and has only a very small flat area whereas the other axle has a marked flat spot on the dome end. I will check it again in the daylight just to be absolutely sure.

Sebastian :)
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Hello Sebastian,

Thank you for checking your 47b. It will be interesting to see if more of these turn up and if the smooth dome is consistent.

Bert
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I've had a look at the domed axle ends on my 63a. Unfortunately, they're rather corroded. However, the one on the three-way axle has a series of stepped ridges, as if it has been spun and scored by being pressed against something hard. In my opinion, the marks are consistent with what might be expected were the axle to have rotated with the peening tool rather than remaining stationary.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

I've looked at my 63a too. The opposite end of the three-way crimp has a dome with a smaller central flat area compared to the normal front axle, there are no scores or marks on the dome and it looks quite clean. It also has what looks like a small but noticeable step in it (the profile is little like a British tin hat shape!) It might be a red herring, but the other thing I noticed was the fact that the axle is around 2mm longer than the normal front axle, I don't know whether this is common with any of the other models found so far. Would these machines be set by axle length? If they were, perhaps that may be a factor.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

johnboy wrote:I've looked at my 63a too. The opposite end of the three-way crimp has a dome with a smaller central flat area compared to the normal front axle, there are no scores or marks on the dome and it looks quite clean. It also has what looks like a small but noticeable step in it (the profile is little like a British tin hat shape!) It might be a red herring, but the other thing I noticed was the fact that the axle is around 2mm longer than the normal front axle, I don't know whether this is common with any of the other models found so far. Would these machines be set by axle length? If they were, perhaps that may be a factor.
Thanks John and Hugh for checking the 63a’s.

John I have seen this tin hat type effect before and will do some checks to see if there is anything in common with the model it is on.

John, I believe the machines would have had a stop or depth of throw set on them for efficiency and consistency. This shows up on some model with more than two axles where the axle ends were done at a different times and we see different finishes on the axle ends on the same model.
I checked two of my 63a with rounded ends and they come in with the following sizes.
Rear axle 24.16mm on two models
Front axle 22.35mm and 23.34mm on two models

The axle is longer to allow for the extra thickness of axle supports on the rear.

I wonder in the case of the three way crimp if machine was set to do front axle the machine would be set for a longer distance of travel and by trying to do the longer rear axle it would engage the axle end sooner before the dome was gripped and in turn create the three way crimp :idea: .

Bert
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Here are the axles from my 41b. The front - which has the three-way crimp on the other side - has a notably brighter section and is perhaps it little more domed
front axle - opposite end has 3-way crimp
front axle - opposite end has 3-way crimp
IMG_7283.jpg (314.96 KiB) Viewed 13855 times
The rear is more corroded and has a flatter top section.
rear
rear
IMG_7284.jpg (287.3 KiB) Viewed 13855 times
John might be onto something with the axle length - this one is about 2 mm longer than my other wire-wheeled 41b.
axle length
axle length
IMG_7285.jpg (319.73 KiB) Viewed 13855 times
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Here's another, on a 42b Studebaker. It's Nick's code 1, in the darker blue with the sliding roof in the same colour (it looks lighter in this picture because I exposed it to show the axle).
IMG_7332.jpg
IMG_7332.jpg (258.5 KiB) Viewed 13770 times
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Very nice Glenn.

This is the latest we have seen so far time wise. It was released in January 1965 ( I can’t remember the day :) ) in Europe but had been released in November 1964 in USA. So the chances of finding a code1 with three way crimp in the UK would be somewhat lessened if the first off the assembly line went to the states, so a good find here.

Judging by the nice crisp condition of the wheel tread it looks to have seen little play miles but hub/boss is quite scored as though the crimp is quite aggressive. It also looks to have a flat end as apposed to slightly round. What does it look like from the side view and how does it compare to previous model photos please?
I take it is just the one wheel.

I have added it to the list on page 6 of this thread.

Bert
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I have made this topic ''Sticky'' so will always be near the top of the index listing and easy to find.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

yellowfoden wrote:This is the latest we have seen so far time wise. It was released in January 1965 ( I can’t remember the day :) ) in Europe but had been released in November 1964 in USA.
Odd then that the pale blue 42b (which I have assumed is a very late pre-production run released to market) should be concentrated in The Netherlands.