Toy fair news

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
kwakers

Re: Toy fair news

Post by kwakers »

For we Yanks, is a 'Motor' a hand held Drill? Also, a couple of ponies brought by nuckle Duster Nick to trade may look funny riding in the back seat of that BMW with his new suspension rubbers.
We had a commercial here in the U.S. that shows a fellow in the back seat of a Rolls Royce asking another similar owner if 'he has any Grey Poupon?', which is a very upper class Mustard mix sold in our stores. I now envision Ghosty passing his Gray Poupon around for his 'picnic Guests', along with the Champagne when Marmaduke wakes up......... :D kwakers
shockwavediecast

BEAULIEU AUTOJUMBLE

Post by shockwavediecast »

Its The Massive Beaulieu Spring AutoJumble this weekend. Is anyone going?
I'll be pitching up in RED field, stalls 64 & 65 if anyone wants to say Hello!!
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

It's a bit of a drive, I might have a trip to the Yeldham Transport Museum Open Day at Toppesfield Road, Gt Yeldham, Essex, CO9 4HD, it's on Sunday 18th may and not very far from me. The last few events have been fairly good, lots of old buses, coaches, cars and trucks and a smallish toyfair too, not to mention the railway layouts and full size railway carriages being restored, its usually a good day out,
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

If you're looking for a great outing in the sun with all types of transport, try here

http://www.fawleyhill.co.uk/
Bob
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

I was planning a trip to the quarterly (?) Great Yeldham toy fair and vehicle show which is 40 miles away but decided to go to to a car show at Weeley which is on the outskirts of Clacton on sea so only two miles from home.
I stopped in at a boot fair on the way hoping to buy a sunhat because painting my boat in the sun is not healthy without a hat. So I walked all around the boot fair, could not find any suitable hats but did find a few common superfasts in decent condition and for 33p each I had to buy them.
I got a sf 9 boat and trailer, a 40 Horsebox and a 38(?) Stingeroo chopper for a pound the lot, Then I came across a playworn Yesteryear Daimler. it still had the seats but I did not buy it, Then I came across another Daimler, This one was chrome plated but the seats were missing and it was attached to an ashtray, so I picked it up and looked at the base of the ashtray. It had a label (see pictures)
So I bought it for a pound and quickly nipped back to where the first Daimler was and bought that one, also a pound. (I was trained by Alex)
So, feeling very cheery I went on to the car show hoping to increase my bag and judging by the amount of toy sellers on site I was very hopeful, But I walked around the whole of the site without finding a single Matchbox toy worth buying, But I did find a nice hat on the RNLI (Royal Naval Lifeboat Institute) fundraising stall with the RNLI logo embroidered on it, I told the stallkeeper I had just bought a boat and jokingly said I hoped I would never need their services.
So, It was a beautiful day and pretty pleased with how my day went I headed home to clean up my finds, Only to find the boat, which was held on the trailer with an elastic band, had a big lump of the hull fall out once I took it off the trailer......
Oh yes, The ashtray is not the usual wade, it is embossed with made in england - Lesney.
Attachments
DSCF8457.JPG
DSCF8457.JPG (128.93 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
DSCF8456.JPG
DSCF8456.JPG (172.44 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
DSCF8457a.JPG
DSCF8457a.JPG (180.23 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
Nick Jones.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Nick, that ashtray could be a very unique piece, if it was one of the individual ashtrays given to board members as the label suggests, what a great find!!!! and i am glad my training has paid off!........now repeat after me "Never pay no more than £1, Never pay more than £1......." :D
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

I think these were presented to all of the employees of the company so there was probably somewhere around 5000-7000 made, How many still survive is anybody's guess.
In 1966 there were a total of 3,639 employees working for Lesney at Lee Conservancy rd, Homerton rd and the Eastway complex. To this you would have to add the staff at the Chingford, Rochford and Rayleigh(?) factories.
I spoke to the seller of the ashtray, He said his aunt was presented with it in 1968 and she worked at the Chingford factory.
Nick Jones.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Mmmmnn it would have helped if i had read the label correctly. I thought it read that the ashtrays were gifted to the board members alone!!!! Silly me..........Should have gone to Specsavers!!! :roll:
MOTORMAN

johnboy

Post by johnboy »

motorman wrote:Mmmmnn it would have helped if i had read the label correctly. I thought it read that the ashtrays were gifted to the board members alone!!!! Silly me..........Should have gone to Specsavers!!! :roll:
It costs more than a £1 at Specsavers :D
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
motorman

Post by motorman »

johnboy wrote:
motorman wrote:Mmmmnn it would have helped if i had read the label correctly. I thought it read that the ashtrays were gifted to the board members alone!!!! Silly me..........Should have gone to Specsavers!!! :roll:
It costs more than a £1 at Specsavers :D
Well they won't be getting my business JB!!!! :lol:
MOTORMAN