Black Forest Customs

Any brand, any year, show us your projects.
Tinman

Re: Black Forest Customs

Post by Tinman »

paelzermaen wrote:Thank you Tinman for this kind words.
Actually, the idea with the bigger wheels on the Unimog I got from your creations.
I do my best, and maybe, one day, I will come close to your level of work.
I hate it when people think I'm a better person than I am. In this case, a better craftsman than I am :oops: :lol:
paelzermaen wrote:But I will never reach the frequency of your restaurations :o ;)
What's the old saying about Quality VS Quantity? I'll take quality over quantity any day and you're work has quality to the tenth power!
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
paelzermaen

Post by paelzermaen »

Here´s another crane.
DSC00041.JPG
DSC00042.JPG
DSC00040.JPG
For the missing window I tried this time some Plexiglas, custom-fit for the crane window. Then coloured with some translucent glas laquer.
DSC_4085.JPG
DSC_4086.JPG
THOMAS
in Black Forest
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Fantastic!!! I love that you've removed the generator compartment (not needed for the self powered crane assembly) and shortened the cab to a simple crew cab. The very labor intensive work to create the new window insert is brilliant. The added decals are perfect.

The 30c is a great starting point for many customs. One comes with every lot sale of old models, so they are plentiful.
30c.jpg
I've done a few customs based on the eight wheel crane but nothing as involved and labor intensive as this (or as well done). Here's the four most recent ones.
Attachments
30c poster.jpg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I would not cut up this version if you have it, these are quite hard to come by.
DSC07080.JPG
No brace above the rear axle.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I would not cut up this version if you have it, these are quite hard to come by.
DSC07080.JPG
No brace above the rear axle.
How many 30C's have we flipped over searching for that variation? I know I'm not alone in doing that.
Squid

Post by Squid »

I, too, have scrutinized many a 30C in hopes of finding one without the brace. Thus far, I've not been successful.
paelzermaen

Post by paelzermaen »

Today I show you impala, just a simple paint job.
DSC00088.JPG
DSC00114.JPG
THOMAS
in Black Forest
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

... And how nice it is !!!! Too bad Lesney didn't do more with this one. So, I guess it's up to us to exploit the casting to it's fullest potential.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

When I was a child having Matchbox models brought for me, I hardly ever chose an American car and thinking back I don't remember owning a single model of one and if I did, they would have been presents from other members of my family.

Looking at the example above and in that colour scheme has attracted my attention and I can see how crisp the casting is and I would be very happy these days to included such American subjects in my collection.

A really nice neat job Thomas.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Thomas, ever the perfectionist, has labored over the small details of the job. He's done such a great job that few probably notice that the decal guidelines are gone from the bonnet or hood of the car. When you click on the thumb nail and get that big full page close up, you are seeing the model in detail that is far greater than if you were holding it in your hand and seeing it in person. This is the point in time that separates the casual rattle-can monochromatic repaint from a real restoration/custom. Notice how good the model looks in this highly magnified view: The level smooth paint work, the crisp edges of the silver trim and nice separation of the two tone paint. Consider how well the two colors work with each other. The devil is truly in the details.

Best of all, the humble creator comments in his post; "just a simple paint job!"