RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Dinky toys by Meccano
RSSierra

Re: RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Post by RSSierra »

This week saw a good group obtained from Australia for very decent prices, only one new model to the collection, but a few condition upgrades and another Regent Foden which I just couldn't go past for 48 quid, this one with the benefit of an OK box! Several repaints too, done by someone who knows what they were doing.

Big Bedford

Guy Snowplough

Regent Foden

Puegeot 404

Chrysler Saratoga (Original) - This is one of those castings I just cant pass up, maybe have 8 of these now in various colour variations

Repaint

Together

Citroen Break ID19

Studebaker President (Repaint)

Desoto Diplomat (repaint)

The only local arrival this week is a Duple Roadmaster Leyland Royal Tiger coach. Tyres were extremely discoloured so I picked up for less than 10 quid. A little time and energy with the acrylic thinner and they cleaned up nicely.

Final two items are pre war Light and Medium tanks in gloss green with green bases and white triangle identifiers.

Both have minor fatigue, but both are in much better condition than my other prewar versions.

Cheers

Dave
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Just picked this rarity up, bit of superglue required. More pics in due course

toysnz

Post by toysnz »

RSSierra wrote:Just picked this rarity up, bit of superglue required. More pics in due course
Do you use the superglue and baking soda trick?

Ian
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Hey Ian

Not aware of the baking soda component, please explain / enlighten.....

Ps this is another one of Maurice's models. I can only find pictures of 2 other yellow chassis tankers, with a minor reference to such an issue from the Richardsons.

Both other tankers I have found have blue smooth hubs, see link below on this and other 25d versions, this tin radiator version being the earliest, circa 1933-35.

http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/mes ... 1371993129

Cheers

Dave
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

RSSierra wrote:Hey Ian

Not aware of the baking soda component, please explain / enlighten.....

Ps this is another one of Maurice's models. I can only find pictures of 2 other yellow chassis tankers, with a minor reference to such an issue from the Richardsons.

Both other tankers I have found have blue smooth hubs, see link below on this and other 25d versions, this tin radiator version being the earliest, circa 1933-35.

http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/mes ... 1371993129

Cheers

Dave
Dave - take a look at Marty's Matchbox Makeovers on Youtube, particularly the pipe truck video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hnWuFxJrI0) - at about 6 minutes he shows how to use superglue and BAKING POWDER (not Baking soda as I previously mentioned)...

Ian
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

That is one extremely interesting thread. What a tragedy that the forum concerned now seems to be moribund.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Thanks Ian, will definitely try the baking powder on resto's but the additional cleaning up required makes the method out of the question on something with paint you want to preserve, and well out of the question on something as rare as this tanker. I've test fitted the two seperate pieces and when back individually the joins are nearly invisible, getting them both back in with as little glue as possible could be a challenge though.

Will try this weekend.

Hi Hugh, yep the TMT site is great for in depth knowledge and rare photo's the main site had all manufacturers at some point but no only seems to have the Dinky archive still accessible, hours of content is split between French, British, etc, then split again into pre war accessories, planes, commercials, cars. Well worth a look for those that are interested.

Lots of arrivals of various sorts over the last couple of weeks to be photographers and uploaded over the weekend too....

Cheers

Guys
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Another varied group of models arrived this week. Firstly I bought a set of regular wheels and Dublo Dinky's from an Australian, they've been sitting on a Railway layout for 50 years, the Dublos are here:

The last of the 1970's large Scale planes I needed in my collection, the Mitsubishi Zero Fighter, picked it up locally 1/10th the price of international. Repro Glazing and aerial. Very hard to find in this condition! Very happy to finally have one of these!

Likewise a cheap European Theatre F-4 Phantom, just need to locate one set of rear landing gear. This is a US only version and usually has eye watering prices.

Boxed Thunderbolt, Plastic cover was perfect when I bought it, but the seller was an amateur when it comes to packaging so what was mint for nearly 50 years got ruined in the post.

Police Parisienne

Late Model Foden Shell tanker, this version is very hard to find1

With its more common Burmah Cousin

Now to push the thread topic boundary a couple of Coronation Coaches (Lesney Prefect for Scale) bought from the same seller as the Pre War Shell BP Tanker above:

Crescent, which is a pretty simple casting with plastic horses / riders.

Versus the JoHilCo Version all Diecast and much more detailed and well painted plus slightly larger:

Plenty more to come tomorrow, ran out of time today.

Cheers

Dave
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Those planes are very nice and do look better with the glazing despite having to use replacement parts.

The damaged blister of the Thunderbolt packaging is really annoying and many sellers just don't think ahead. Unless you want a modern replacement it will take you some time to find another original and them the chances of finding just the blister is pretty remote!

Ghosthunter.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

A rainy old Auckland today so I got around to cleaning up and photographing some recent arrivals.

Firstly the Shell / BP tanker above, the side that had popped out is back in but the expansion is very noticeable and didn't want to remove any material so its not a great fit.

Bought this lot as the Comet racer looked like it was the gold version I didn't have that had been overpainted, a worthwhile punt an hour or so with acetone and i was proved right.

Tempest

A couple of the more rare Hawker Hurricane with Landing gear, both variations. One in the lot, the Camouflaged one bought singularly recently.

Several other later model planes bought as one lot.

SEPECAT Jaguar X 2

Messchersmitt BF109

Hawker Harrier

Junkers JU87 Stuka

Finally some wins from Vectis.

Group of Motorcycles

Civilian Motorcyclist

Pre War AA Motorcycle and Sidecar

Police Motorcycle and sidecar

Police Motorcyclist

39 series Chrysler

And finally a couple of 29 Series US only release 2 tone cars, these are unique as they were owned by Ed Force and appeared in his Dinky Book.

Still more to come if I have some free time tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave