RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Dinky toys by Meccano
RSSierra

Re: RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Post by RSSierra »

starni999 wrote:Hi Dave,
So glad you got them. What a weird story though? So did this seller buy them off the first one then relist? Strange.
They are all really nice mate, the 23a is in amazing condition.
Hope the last one turns up, again, weird.
Cheers
CW
Hey Chris

Yes, weird indeed. The first seller had over 3k feedback, the second just 30 with only 6 months experience. I believe the first sellers story to be true only as far as the selling on behalf. The second seller gave no further detail when I asked them about the duplicate listings. Bottom line is I'll never know.

Cheers
ogedei2

Post by ogedei2 »

looks like some nice bits in there sunshine, at least you got em in the end

and strangely enough both sellers use the same background pics on all their items......................... whats the chances of that...........
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

RSSierra wrote:The only other arrival this week is a long sought after Hong Kong Dinky Nash Rambler Classic Stationwagon.
Is that one of the Spot-On models that never were?
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

I hadn't noticed the same backgrounds between the two sellers. I was confused by exactly the same pictures and description between the 3 auctions. Glad we have a few detectives on here to spot that sort of detail!

I don't think it was a quick resale for profit either as the BIN prices for the three auctions were 399, 300 and 500 all US. It could have been a selling on behalf pricing dispute, but the commonality of listings makes me question that. The original seller didn't get negative feedback on the first sale cancellation, but definitely got it from me for the second.

Hi, Hugh I've heard the Spot On connection with the 6 HK models but can't recall the details. I'm sure someone will reconfirm.c

Cheers all

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

This may help...viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16&p=492#p1031

Ghosthunter.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Hi all,

I often wondered if Triang were originally going to push these cars more into the North American market. I don't think the Spot On range was very well known there, or even if they were widely sold? I can't image the original line up of Morris 1100's and Thames Traders etc being very popular with US kids.

I've had a few of the HK Dinkys over the years, and they are really nice models, the standard of finish can be dodgy though, even brand new they suffered from quality control issues not seen in either the Liverpool or Belfast made products. I read a few years ago that Triang ran at a loss with Spot On for many years, as they were just so costly to produce, probably explains why they were happy to farm them out to HK.

The Impala and Buick seem the most common these days, the Rambler and Corvair the hardest to find.
Cheers
CW.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

That Rambler is a superb looking model which really has the special Spot-On 'presence'.
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Some really good finds have turned up this weekend.

Firstly a lot of 6 from a local seller, I'd bought another lot shown a page or so back of similar condition models. The boxes are mostly complete, but several of the models seem to have had their windows removed. With very little other damage I wonder why this was done? The boxes all seem to be named so looks like a single owner collection from new.

Badly repainted Herald

The rest of this weeks arrivals

Mersey Tunnel Land Rover

Rolls

Finally the two best acquisitions

The one below I was initially dubious of being original as the wear pattern between the cab and the load bed is so different, the auction photos weren't the best and seemed to deliberately obscure the load bed rivet. I asked for an got some pictures of the rivet and after a little investigation bought it. The green on the load bed seems to be very hard wearing on both these red cab and the Beige cab versions with many pictures on the web showing such different wear. I didn't think I would ever be able to afford one of these so any condition is good for me. This completes my set of the Guy Warrior 4 Ton lorry's.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

Very strange about those missing windows. A previous owner was clearly not a fan of plastic glazing! That red and green Guy Warrior is a great find. As I'm sure you know, the red version can be distinguished by its Dinky Supertoys base, rather than the Dinky Toys base of the beige version and the flatbed. It seems that the red Guys must have been from the Heinz production run, hence the Supertoys base and black tow hook (i.e. added after painting, not before as was the norm).

I have a beige Warrior with a Supertoys base. However, this has no windows (and no spigot to fit them). All the Heinz van Warriors I have seen have windows, so where did this Supertoys base come from? Unlike the red ones I have seen (including yours), there is no clear mark around the panel where "GUY" is written, which was presumably due to the Snow Plough version. The engineers at Binns Road clearly had too much time on their hands, fiddling around with such unnecessary details. At least they didn't waste time changing the number 511 which can still be seen on the underside of the rear body. My example shows the same differential paint wear, with the beige badly chipped but the green surprisingly smart.
DSC00323.JPG
DSC00323.JPG (137.17 KiB) Viewed 900 times
DSC00319.JPG
DSC00319.JPG (107.53 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

Dave, I see you've just been hit by the same Photobucket problem I have - a real shame as it's now completely ruined this brilliant thread you've built up. :x

It seems that Photobucket have got greedy and now won't allow linking unless you pay $399 per year for the privilege. :o

See below a link to a helpful thread from Ghosty on how to avoid this problem by directly loading pictures onto the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6359#p70975