A mix of recent additions

A place to show your latest finds
Maestro

Re: A mix of recent additions

Post by Maestro »

Finally, as promised the detailed pics of my BPW 73a RAF Pressure Refueller.

It responds exactly to Nick's code 9: a larger, round brace, open tanker air hole and closed rear bumper opening.
However... the wheels are not 10x24 but 9,5x20 and all 3 axles are a bit longer then they should be. The last axle is bent a little bit.
The axle-ends - compared with the two GPW ones I have, see pics - look fine to me, or do I miss something in my conclusion?

The seller was honest in his description: "...but axles are oversized - might be genuine - your choice".
Nothing in his advert indicated to me that he tried to sell a fake model. I had bought earlier times from him and his positive feedback is quite impressive.

To my opinion the model is played with in an honest way (not 'polished' in the notorious "E.J." way), the axle at the back is bent a little.
The only odd thing is that the wheels are 9,5x20. Factory error or not?

I hope the photos are detailed and close-up enough, I'm open to your opinions on the model.

"These may be toys, but this ain't child's play"
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Hi Maarten,
The axles just look far to long for me and the rear axle end just does not look right when looking from the side, for me I would have to say these have not been done in the factory.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

nearlymint wrote:The axles just look far to long for me and the rear axle end just does not look right when looking from the side, for me I would have to say these have not been done in the factory.
I have my reservations too. Some models do tend to have over-length axles (IIRC, the 15a is a case in point), but I don't think I've seen this problem on a 73a. Whilst I might accept it on the first casting, this is a much later version, which gives cause for concern. In addition, all three axles are too long by the same amount, and this, combined with the unusual wheels, is worrying. In addition, the peened ends look a little too flat for my liking.
All in all, I would not have this model in my display cabinet.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Sorry, Maarten - I don’t like it either. The non-peened end of the front axle looks like it’s been squashed by pliers, and the peened ends don’t look right either. Add the over-length axles and it looks home-made. Which country did it come from?
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I have to agree with Hugh and Glenn, it does not have enough plus points going for it and the details you want on a hard to find model, the wheels and axles, just do not do it any favours.

The only way I would be happy to have this on display is if another identicle example was found but not from the same source you got that from with the same length axles but Lesney factory finish axle-ends.

Keep it if it was cheap, sell it if it was expensive!
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Hello Maarten and all,

Axle, wheels and timelines are a pet subject of mine. I have an extensive record of where wheels and timeline fit into the Lesney era.

It is my belief that the 9.5x20 tread count bpw were not introduced until 1962 and long after a very, very short run of bpw in 1961 when this casting was in production.

The axle length on this model can vary over the life of this brace casting and as a rule axle lengths are between 21.88mm to 22.77mm for models with the roundish brace. Could you measure the three axles on yours please Maarten?
You may find all three axles are different lengths using a vernier calliper.

Thanks for showing this and allowing discussion and in particular taking the time to provide great quality photos.

My thoughts on the genuine 73a bpw version is that there are so few of these genuine examples in existence that the 10x24 bpw were used to finish the last of the round brace casting model. This may have only happened for a matter of hours on the assembly line. Then the last variation with the dies were altered for infill between pump box and tank were ready and production resumed using 9.5x20gpw again.
There is no known recording of a full infill code having bpw to indicate a crossover model.

I was initially drawn to this model when it was listed, not because of the black wheels ( although I did notice immediately the wheels were out of timeline) but because of the body colour shown in listing photos and the gap between the cab and the pump box. Whilst I have seen and studied models that are bent I had never seen it with a tapered gap between cab and pump box. So is the block deformed between the cab and pump box or have the walls of cab or pump box been pushed out of line?

If the bpw were added post factory I wonder if it was to rescue a model that had been stepped on. This could account for the bent area between the cab and pump box. The amount of force required to do this may have also bent axles and or damaged the gpw wheels.
This could then account for three new longer axles and 6 new 20 tread count bpw being fitted.
I would also suggest that the axle used for the middle axle is of a slightly different steel as it does not have the same patina and the axle end is not the same shape I consistently find on the roundish brace casting.

It is interesting that in 2021 we have now seen two 73a with bpw sold, one for 2500gbp on eBay and most recently another sell in the UK on February 5th 2021 for 1350gbp plus commission and vat. ( this was listed as having gpw :o )
Both models shown were described as mint and boxed.

This variation is faked on a regular basis with around 10 a year being sold. My folder on such examples is growing by the month.

Bert
Attachments
all axles measure the same length for each model
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Keep it if it was cheap, sell it if it was expensive!
Personally I would keep this model, it has interesting educational detail. I certainly would not put it back into circulation.

Bert
Maestro

Post by Maestro »

Bert,

I cannot measure the lenght of the exles for I do not have such a tool.

Thanks to you and all others for the comments.
The model nevertheless stays in my collection for it still intrigues me. And it's a special beauty!

It indeed was cheap, I paid some GBP 23 / € 27, so to me it was worth to take the gamble!

Maarten
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Maestro

Post by Maestro »

Wise words from a wise man Ghosthunter! :!: