Classic Super Kings Muscle Cars from Yesteryear toolings

Non UK made Matchbox toys 1983 on
francipe

Re: Classic Super Kings Muscle Cars from Yesteryear toolings

Post by francipe »

This Monday I took delivery of a couple of Super Kings, an Oldsmobile convertible 442 which is a duplicate and one of the elusive Mustang Boss 302.
IMG_20201021_163807.jpg
There's the usual differences between this and the original Yesteryear Mustang Boss 429, not least the engine downgrade. The hood cowl has gone and tampo printed body stripes come in.
IMG_20201019_124110.jpg
The BOSS 429 legend on the front side panel is replaced by the stripe which includes an appropriate BOSS 302 legend.
IMG_20201019_124145.jpg
There's a lot of decoration missing on the trunk/back end
IMG_20201019_124311.jpg
As ever the interior isn't enhanced and looks particularly cheap in white plastic
20201021_165246-COLLAGE.jpg
There's much to see at the front, plain black grille, blue side lights not painted but the wiper arms are now silver
IMG_20201019_124408.jpg
It's worth a closer look. The Prancing Pony badge has changed
20201021_164831-COLLAGE.jpg
The red, white and blue has become more defined and blue, white and red, while what looks like an Airedale terrier is now definitely the Prancing Pony. Galloping even.

Two left to get.
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

more great pictures Peter, thank you.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
Squid

Post by Squid »

francipe wrote:There's the usual differences between this and the original Yesteryear Mustang Boss 429, not least the engine downgrade. The hood cowl has gone and tampo printed body stripes come in.
The scoop was eliminated because only Boss 429 Mustangs (and, I assume, the two Boss 429 Cougars) used that particular scoop. A 1969 Boss 302 Mustang could be had with a flat hood or a non-functional scoop. They were available with a shaker hood and scoop in 1970.

The only place I ever recall having seen these muscle cars in the wild was Big Lots. Never at Target, Wal-Mart, or Toys 'R Us...and I was an obsessed collector back then. Perhaps they would have sold better if they were fitted with rubber tires and period-correct mags. Otherwise, aside from being 1:43 scale, I have no idea why they tanked in a market they seemed tailor-made for.

Thanks for sharing!
francipe

Post by francipe »

Squid wrote: The scoop was eliminated because only Boss 429 Mustangs (and, I assume, the two Boss 429 Cougars) used that particular scoop. A 1969 Boss 302 Mustang could be had with a flat hood or a non-functional scoop. They were available with a shaker hood and scoop in 1970.

The only place I ever recall having seen these muscle cars in the wild was Big Lots. Never at Target, Wal-Mart, or Toys 'R Us...and I was an obsessed collector back then. Perhaps they would have sold better if they were fitted with rubber tires and period-correct mags. Otherwise, aside from being 1:43 scale, I have no idea why they tanked in a market they seemed tailor-made for.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Squid, I kinda like them too but Marcel takes some of the credit for this thread as without his knowledge I'd never have heard of these.

The wheels on the original Yesteryears are correct as far as I know. These Super Kings are fitted with the standard baseplate with suspension and Superfast (?) wheels.
I realised the hood scoop was for the larger engine but I highlight the differences because Mattel is all about the bottom line and here they are with new tampo plates etc.

This and another model from the same seller came from K-Mart marked $9.99.
IMG_20201022_114348.jpg
They were in the reduced price bin but the seller has removed the ticket. Probably $5.00
IMG_20201022_114348~2.jpg
If anyone out there is near a K-Mart store I still need the white Mustang Boss and the El Camino.

If my begging letter is against the rules my apologies.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Any begging has to be concessioned with the fact that any rewards from said begging have to be shared with the person writing this.

Oh, that's me then... :lol:

Ghosty.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

K-Mart & it's parent company have folded up shop and are long gone in my area. Most of the old Sears stores have been partitioned and now host several other business. Most of the former K-Marts have been torn down and something else exists on the sites. Those that were anchors in strip malls were quickly converted to something else. A couple of stand alone Super K-Marts are abandoned and in a state of disrepair so much so that demolition will be the most likely fate if the sites ever find a buyer. The last mentioned sites are all in dodgy/depressed parts of town and will probably sit for years more before finding a buyer for the land. One was recently demolished by the city because homeless had started a fire inside the building that caused structural damage. I recently read an article where the parent company, Sears, had attempted to include the bill for the demo costs in their bankruptcy. The city apparently just bypassed that and took the land by imminent domain.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the release of these something like ten years ago?
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
francipe

Post by francipe »

Tinman wrote:K-Mart & it's parent company have folded up shop and are long gone in my area.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the release of these something like ten years ago?
I think these were released about 15 years ago to go by the rear license plates on some of the models. I hadn't thought about that. Obviously people have been sitting on these for some time which means I'm going to be out of luck. Ho hum.
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Any begging has to be concessioned with the fact that any rewards from said begging have to be shared with the person writing this.

Oh, that's me then... :lol:

Ghosty.
Thank you kind Administrator for your selfless response. We're both out of luck.
Squid

Post by Squid »

francipe wrote:The wheels on the original Yesteryears are correct as far as I know. These Super Kings are fitted with the standard baseplate with suspension and Superfast (?) wheels.
I realised the hood scoop was for the larger engine but I highlight the differences because Mattel is all about the bottom line and here they are with new tampo plates etc.
The wheels on the Yesteryears versions of these models are correct. Though it would have added to the bottom line, period-correct mag wheels would have looked great on the Super Kings versions. I speculate that the Mustang became a Boss 302 for the latter release because that model is more recognizable. (As an aside, I'm pretty sure that Boss 429 Mustangs were not available with the slats and spoiler seen on the Yesteryear model, though they sure do look good.)
Tinman wrote:Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the release of these something like ten years ago?
As I only remember having seen them in Big Lots stores in 2007, that sounds about right.

I thought there was still an operational K-Mart in my area, but it's now closed. Oddly enough, they still have an operational store in Guam...
francipe

Post by francipe »

I found KMart has an online presence (and apparently some stores) so I searched for Matchbox cars.
Lots and lots there but their pricing looks way out in many cases. The only thing that I have any experience with is this Yesteryear based fire vehicle.
Screenshot_20201026-084747.png
It's overpriced compared with eBay. But other stuff looks like it might be cheap over uber expensive.
francipe

Post by francipe »

This arrived from the States just after the Holiday as a Christmas present to me from yours truly. It was the only model in this Super Kings set that wasn't originally released as a Model of Yesteryear. The K-206 1971 Chevy El Camino was difficult to find at a sensible price.
IMG_20201230_145644.jpg
IMG_20201230_145046.jpg
IMG_20201230_145058.jpg
It's a pity Tyco didn't use this casting in the Matchbox Collectibles Muscle Cars series, where the YMC07 1970 Plymouth GTX was little more than a repaint of the YMC05 1970 Plymouth Road Runner. Perhaps the model was part of the Mattel portfolio. Who knows, now it's just part of the 'if only' history of Yesteryears.