Three-way Axle Crimps

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Three-way Axle Crimps

Post by Idris »

I believe the tally is currently as follows:
- yellow 31b, both axles: 1 (ClOwY)
- green 31b, rear axle only: 1 (Yellowfoden)
- 63a, rear axle only: 4 (Kerbside, Mike, Idris, Johnboy)
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

Thanks
Gary
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

I'm still intrigued that they've only been found on the 31b and the 63a. Perhaps that's because they're on others but no-one's noticed? I've searched through some of mine, and this is the closest I've found so far, on the rear wheel of a 44b Rolls Royce:
44b Rolls Royce
44b Rolls Royce
IMG_6471.jpg (398.58 KiB) Viewed 12537 times
The front wheel is a perfect example of a normal peen with typical striations.
front
front
IMG_6472.jpg (253.4 KiB) Viewed 12537 times
This Rolls just looks like it's suffered from a rather heavy-handed hit on the rear wheel. Is this relevant to the three-way crimps? Probably not.
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

with the crimps which year/s are we talking about?
Gary
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

1959 or 1960 for your 31b - it’s not the very first because they had a black base. Bert’s would be a little later as it’s green (but this might only be a week or two). Somewhere around 1959 to 1961 for most of the 63as but the one with the 11x45 wheels would be 1963, at the end of production.
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

Thanks very much
Gary
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

DrJeep wrote:I'm still intrigued that they've only been found on the 31b and the 63a. Perhaps that's because they're on others but no-one's noticed? I've searched through some of mine, and this is the closest I've found so far, on the rear wheel of a 44b Rolls Royce:.
My guess is that, in the fullness of time, we will discover a small number of other models which have these trial axles. That 'small number' might be one or it might be half a dozen, but I don't seen any way that it can possibly be all 75 models or even a significant number of them.
I have also found an axle head very similar to that on Glenn's 44b which set me wondering too. However, I don't (yet) see how the three-way finish can be reconciled with the standard mushroomed ends.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I also have the same axle-end on a #44b as Glenn shows above. I never considered this as an alternative finish to the end, just bad setting of the tool used for the slight flaring to keep the wheel on.

It is on an example with the last thin front bumper. That is the back edge of the bumper does not overlap the lower sections of the air-vents under the headlamps. All versions after this have the thick front bumper where the back edge does overlap into the air-vents.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I'm somewhat surprised at the way this thread has come to an abrupt halt. At one stage it looked like these three-way crimps were relatively common, but with the total stuck stubbornly on six know examples, the pendulum now appears to be swinging the other way.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Here's another, on a 41b.
IMG_7264.jpg
IMG_7264.jpg (392.37 KiB) Viewed 12054 times
The back wheel is normal.