Some finds!!

An area in which to discuss the Matchbox models painted and assembled in Brazil
johnboy

Re: Some finds!!

Post by johnboy »

I read that after a year or two Roly couldn't cope with the demand and complications with creating the moulds so imported models from Lesney. I had an old link talking about this but it's dead now unfortunately.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
leonty24

Post by leonty24 »

As regards the date it puts the connection into the RW era with Lesney were any RW models ever produced.

On the Pontiac box is there a sticker on the face covering the model no as it does on the end ifso then maybe they were just
using any box to put models in as previously.

The Silva Spider box i have has the manufacturer as Imbrina
hudson-assis

Post by hudson-assis »

I was born in 1970 and am collecting matchbox inbrima a few years because they were part of my childhood so I do not have total knowledge, said that I only know 5 boxes of the era superfast 1-75 which is what I collect since I search inbrimas, I have one Friend who collects much more time and is older than me, and also has never seen other boxes, and of course everything for a determining time was made in Brazil, boxes, blister, sets .... I do not speak English correctly so I guess I will not post Text more, not to cause problems, these links have history of inbrima written by Brazilian collectors thanks !!!

http://www.dccvm.com/histmarcadiecast08.html
http://mundomatchbox.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -toys.html
http://mundomatchbox.blogspot.com/2008/03/imbrima.html

pista.jpg
pista.jpg (487.38 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
pista2.jpg
pista2.jpg (247.37 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
pi2.jpg
pi2.jpg (72.39 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
hudson-assis

Post by hudson-assis »

leonty24 wrote:As regards the date it puts the connection into the RW era with Lesney were any RW models ever produced.

On the Pontiac box is there a sticker on the face covering the model no as it does on the end ifso then maybe they were just

on the box "siva spyder" collectors here believe art not a spyder but an art created here using it as a reference ..
leonty24

Post by leonty24 »

Hudson do not worry about your English input greatly appreciated as information on the Brazilian
released models is very scarce.

So please continue to post.
leonty24

Post by leonty24 »

hudson-assis wrote:
leonty24 wrote:As regards the date it puts the connection into the RW era with Lesney were any RW models ever produced.

on the box "siva spyder" collectors here believe art not a spyder but an art created here using it as a reference ..
Yes i would agree on that as box artwork is simaler to the orignal but not as exact.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Jump forward to the late 1960's and we start to see Matchbox models originating from a factory in Brazil. These models are produced from Lesney tooling, not copies and it is these models (usually with Black baseplates), connecting the Matchbox name to the Roly Toys name because early issues have the 'ROLY TOYS' name printed on a label applied to the baseplate, none of the original 'ROLY TOYS' models in my little list above can be said to be Matchbox. Model #4, the Scania Vabis truck has a tipper moulding that does look like the one used on the Lesney Euclid and model #5, the VW Beetle will of course look like the Lesney original but until the Two models are placed side by side it is difficult to say weather it is based on or copied from the Lesney model.

The Jeep does have a resemblance to the Matchbox model, but the Centurian Tank (not on my list but does exist), is more likely a copy of the Dinky Toys issue.

Only 11 original models are known from the Roly Toys range not including trim variations such as Fire, Police and Ambulance etc with only 1 model not appearing on the listing which is unclear to it's source, a Chevrolet Camaro 2door coupe with opening bonnet.

These models were in production up to at least 1969 when an article about them was published in a model magazine for Portuguese speaking collectors. This is taking us past the point (1964-65), when we know the factory has an agreement with Lesney UK for sourcing models or components for local manufacture.

The advert below includes a 'Models of Yesteryear' (Y-7 1912 Rolls-Royce), we know was introduced during 1968 so possibly the original Roly models were not far from being dropped from production as that magazine article went to press and with the introduction of proper Matchbox model production it was natural to ad the 'ROLY TOYS' name to the bases (even if it was only as a paper label!).
c1968-69.jpg
c1968-69.jpg (144.96 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

hudson-assis wrote:I do not speak English correctly so I guess I will not post Text more, not to cause problems...
There is absolutely nothing wrong with your written English, so please continue to post. If it is easier for you, feel free to post in Portuguese with a Google Translate translation into English.
Like this/como isso:
Não há absolutamente nada de errado com o seu Inglês escrito, por isso, continue a postar. Se for mais fácil para você, sinta-se à vontade para postar em português com uma tradução do Google Translate para o inglês.
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Jump forward to the late 1960's and we start to see Matchbox models originating from a factory in Brazil. These models are produced from Lesney tooling, not copies and it is these models (usually with Black baseplates), connecting the Matchbox name to the Roly Toys name
More specifically, the diecast metal and plastic parts were produced by Lesney in England, then shipped to Brazil and painted and assembled there. It was like CKD production in the realm of real cars. In my experience baseplates are not usually black, but most often just the same as on the English made versions, although there are numerous exceptions.

I am still not sure at which date this operation actually started, as there is conflicting information from different sources, and the abundance of fakes (which may well include earlier models not originally assembled in Brazil at all) makes it very difficult to find out the absolute truth.
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The advert below includes a 'Models of Yesteryear' (Y-7 1912 Rolls-Royce), we know was introduced during 1968 so possibly the original Roly models were not far from being dropped from production as that magazine article went to press and with the introduction of proper Matchbox model production it was natural to ad the 'ROLY TOYS' name to the bases (even if it was only as a paper label!).
That ad is definitely from 1969, which you can tell from the 46c Mercedes being depicted in blue. It is the oldest Brazilian Matchbox ad I am aware of.

As the ad says that collecting Matchbox models is "the new wave", we can assume that the business relationship between Roly Toys and Lesney had not started much earlier than when that ad was issued. Also the models are depicted in their original colours as made in England, which seems to indicate that at the time Roly Toys only imported the complete models from England, and Brazilian assembly had not started yet.

Finally, it is noteworthy that a Yesteryear model is included in the ad, for Models of Yesteryear are the only Matchbox diecast models from that era which were never assembled in Brazil. So it seems they imported the range initially, but they were not allowed to assemble it thereafter.
vetrad

Post by vetrad »

I think the ad from the comic book I posted earlier is interesting because it seems to show a mix of England painted models and Brazil colors. To me that suggests a probable transition time Roly took over painting the castings themselves. This also fits with the castings I see with the playworn models found 'in the wild'.

All the earlier models and packaging I have seen are Lesney assembled with the boxes marked with import tape/stickers.

edit (added picture):