Re: THE DINKY COLLECTION

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

DY-33, 1957 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SL ROADSTER..JPG
DY-33, 1957 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SL ROADSTER..JPG (52.43 KiB) Viewed 9264 times
1995, made in China.
GHOSTHUNTER

DY-34, ???? ????????

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

So far I have shown 33 models in the range, we now come to model number 34, but a model was not released on this number, so for this item on 'The Dinky Collection' there is only 35 models on a 36 number-run and there is a gap at number 34!

However, I can show three models not released at all and it is very likely one of these was to have been number 34 (DY-34), two are just alternative versions of models already in the range, but the third is an entirely new casting based on a Chevrolet Impala.

The images are taken from 'Press pictures' and the quality is not perfect, but they do show the models as intended for release.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Attachments
CADILLAC COUPE DE VILLE, OPEN..jpg
CADILLAC COUPE DE VILLE, OPEN..jpg (74.99 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
FORD THUNDERBIRD, CLOSED..jpg
FORD THUNDERBIRD, CLOSED..jpg (74.07 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
CHEVROLET IMPALA..jpg
CHEVROLET IMPALA..jpg (66.27 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
GHOSTHUNTER

DY-35, 1968 KARMANN GHIA.

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

DY-35, 1968 KARMANN GHIA..jpg
DY-35, 1968 KARMANN GHIA..jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 9258 times
1995, made in China.
GHOSTHUNTER

DY-36, 1957 JAGUAR XK150 ROADSTER.

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

DY-36, 1957 JAGUAR XK150 DHC..jpg
DY-36, 1957 JAGUAR XK150 DHC..jpg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 9257 times
1995, made in China.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Model number DY-36, the Jaguar XK150 signals the last release in this range of "Matchbox" designed and made 'DINKY TOYS'. The next releases were not (as far as I am concerned), part of the 'Dinky Collection', some re-branding took place during 1993 and "Matchbox Collectibles" was developed and registered as the department handling models such as these. This move was clearly delayed slightly because the last couple of boxes for the Dinky Collection models, have the new 'Branding' name in capitol letters (MATCHBOX COLLECTIBLES), on the rear, as shown in my image below.

I will pop in and out of this thread with any further interesting info on 'The Dinky Collection' models, in the meantime, you can follow the new thread posted by Wolfie Ginsburg and follow his re-issue and 'Coded' versions of 'The Dinky Collection' models.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Attachments
MATCHBOX COLLECTIBLES Box.JPG
MATCHBOX COLLECTIBLES Box.JPG (113.59 KiB) Viewed 9254 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

This is interesting, the Chevrolet Impala released as number DYG09. This was a new casting when the original 'Dinky Collection' was running and it was one of three models that could have been released as number DY-34, but wasn't. I have re-posted the picture here from "Wolfie Ginsberg", I am sure he won't mind.

Ghosty.
Attachments
An Impala.jpg
An Impala.jpg (149.78 KiB) Viewed 9238 times
ChFalkensteiner

Re: DY-34, ???? ????????

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:So far I have shown 33 models in the range, we now come to model number 34, but a model was not released on this number, so for this item on 'The Dinky Collection' there is only 35 models on a 36 number-run and there is a gap at number 34!

However, I can show three models not released at all and it is very likely one of these was to have been number 34 (DY-34), two are just alternative versions of models already in the range, but the third is an entirely new casting based on a Chevrolet Impala.
I think I have mentioned this before: DY-34 was intended to be the Citroën H Van, which eventually ended up in the Models of Yesteryear range. This information was published in the model magazines at the time.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello Chfalkensteiner,

I believe the Citroen 'H' type van has 1993 on the baseplate and presumably with 'Models of Yesteryear' on the base, does fall outside the range of models featured in the thread. Strange that it was not made as and issued as a Dinky version then, when it was intended to be one on #DY-34, maybe some production problem or licencing issue at that time.

Welcome back to the forum, where have you been, apart from visiting some toy fairs in the UK! you seemed not to be appearing on the forum, we missed you.

GHOSTHUNTER.
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

As far as I know, the reason was simply the replacement of the traditional Models of Yesteryear range by the Matchbox Collectibles scheme of sub-series distributed by mail order.

The very first such sub-series created for Matchbox Collectibles was Taste of France, and for that they found the Citroën van casting suitable which was in development for the Dinky range at the time. At the same time the Dinky range was on hiatus, and it was not quite clear for a while if and how it would continue. I think that was the reason why that new casting was reassigned from Dinky to Yesteryear.

When they eventually decided to release the three other Dinky models which had been in development (i.e. DY-33, DY-35 and DY-36) in the same style as before, they just retained the numbers which had originally been allocated to them, leaving a gap at DY-34.

All of that was not too much different from what had happened a few years earlier at the start of the Dinky range, when the Jaguar E-Type, which had been planned as a new Model of Yesteryear, was reassigned to the new Dinky range and at the same time downsized to 1:43 scale. The same would have been done to the BMW 507, but that model's development had already progressed too far, so it was decided to go on and release that one as a Yesteryear in the larger scale.

I have been around, just been so busy that I was unable to find time for posting for some weeks. In March I attended the Retro-Classics fair in Stuttgart where I took a total of almost 2500 pictures (of real cars). Processing those kept me occupied during most of my spare time for about a month. Now I have had my UK trip including visits to four toy fairs and nine motor museums. This has resulted in some 150 models purchased and about 1100 pictures taken, all of which I will process over the coming weeks, so once I again I will remain very busy and left with way too little time for following the threads here and elsewhere, let alone replying to emails etc. I will try my best to stick around, but it will be tough. Somehow I wonder how others cope with this... :oops:
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello chfalkenstainer,

You just keep on doing it that way, it sounds very familiar to my approach to the hobby, too much to do, with very little time to do it!!!

Many thank's for the reply.

GHOSTHUNTER.