ultimate matchbox grizzly Vectis auction

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
numi

Re: ultimate matchbox grizzly Vectis auction

Post by numi »

One had to have been overwhelmed by the very rare sightings of such a rare array of Mb's at the show.
I could not view the live auctions due to computer probs.Anyway,congratulations to Vectis & Mr Ralph for the successful outcome although there were quite a fair amount of boo-boos on the part of Vectis.Its not about end-prices but about total integrity to all concerned.Vectis was the ultimate winner here!
There were some absolutely nice variations to be had for keen prices too! The key to wise-buys in auctions of this magnitude and hype is to allow the bigger fish to silly-fight each other on special finds and while thats happening u then snatch and merrily walk away with the sweet crumbs at a steal.The Golden Ferrari was the highlight for me as well.

Perhaps some furore is abound with Vectis mal-siding this auction but hopefully things would be corrected in the forthcoming SF auctions.
Just my take here: I would never had allowed Vectis or any other auction houses to remove my collection from their initial place of storage/premises esp after they had been photographed & catalogued.The initial risks alone were too high when they were being removed from the Grizzly premises to the Vectis premises and cannot understand why Vectis would further jeopardize this prized collection or perhaps im wrong about this esp if permission was granted.
Anything could have gone wrong during further handling,transit & display at the "outdoor" show.What if there was an accident with the transport vehicle or any fires? What if there was fire or damages,theft etc at the show due to any unforseen circumstances? Insurance does not help in situations like these.Vectis could have easily proposed virtuals of the Grizzly collection or by screening on large TV's at the show for the public to view without any handling or hitches similar to what Mr Ralph had done on Youtube.On the other hand i acknowledge that they needed exposure thru this canvass.

I would also never have allowed Vectis to string up my models with rubber bands irrespective if they are to be sold cos i am still the owner until paid-for and any or all attachments are still mine.
Rubber bands actually causes pin-heads (micro chips) and other blemishes to the paintwork and also damages the boxes.Dont talk about more handling and added wear to the (Grizzly) models & boxes condition after already being catalogued.I am sure that most of these displayed rare models & boxes to a certain degree did have added wear & added blemishes after this show-display but hope that im wrong for Grizzly's sake and the new owners.
Evidently,nMint-Mint Mb's esp rares almost always turn themselves into great investments.
numi
Last edited by numi on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Dr Jazz wrote:but BP tanker with decal more than 300£ ?? :-)
That was one I thought was a foolish price. The model is only somewhat hard to find but far from rare as plenty of them are about. Mostly, they are simply overlooked. Must have had two people who wanted it and didn't mind paying through the nose for one.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Idris wrote:
SMS88 wrote:Amazing results - those tan cranes fetching so much more than the red Victor or the gold Berlinetta which for my money are much more desirable!
Based on my personal observations of Ebay auctions, there are considerably more red Victors around than there are tan-bodies cranes.
I have to agree, the tan cranes are far more rare. I was bidding one one of these in an auction a few years back (tan & orange). I bailed when bidding exceeded $3,000 USD and it sold for $4,500. Both of Ralph's cranes reached top prices (especially considering the exchange rate), but I expected them to go for a premium.

I also disagree about the perception of the red Victor. I think the tan Morris even stands above the red Victor as being more desirable. One thing I'm sure about, rare trucks (especially wreckers and cranes) always reach higher prices and are more sought after than autos.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
numi

Post by numi »

motorman wrote:Numi,

Whilst I certainly note your concerns about the way certain lots have been described by Vectis, I feel that we should be right behind Grizzly on this one, for anyone to sell up after collecting for over 40 years is a momentous decision and Grizzly is somewhat in the Hands of the auction house now that he has committed to sell. There are bound to be a few anomolies in the catalogue description with so many variations for sale.

It is still going to be quite an event and with such a vast aray of variations to pick from i suspect it will be a very succesful auction despite any reservations you may have.
Was i not well behaved MM ? ;) ;)
numi
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Numi, you have exquisite etiquette skills ....quite faultless. :D
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Just a question I went and viewed the auctions, and noticed a lot of the models did not sale. Was this to them being a more common model or because
they had a too higher reserve price on them please?

Looking at the prices that some of the models variations and boxes fetched I think that I might get my girls to send my 1-75 collection of Regular Wheels to VECTIS when the time comes for me when I leave this world.

Congratulations Ralph on the sale, It must have been a bit of heart rendering to let those fine models go, what will you collect now? :( :cry:

George T.
petethesweet1

Post by petethesweet1 »

Hi George I was at the sale for two days, really too many items to take in, in one go. I had my shopping list & intended to stick it but one dose wander off. The reserve price is normally half the bottom end. There were some very nice boxes there just like shop stock. I don't know how many did not sell but I was very happy with what I won . Looking forward to the November auction I am looking for a few superfast Pete
petethesweet1

Post by petethesweet1 »

Hi George & all just checked Vectis results at auction Day 1 40 not sold Day 2 73 not sold I would think that some of the bits nobody wanted & some had to high reserve. They may put these on a later sale or on the end of the Superfast Pete