Post by SMS88 »

Mail sent to Yum Yum :)
Attachments
2014-03 119.jpg
2014-03 119.jpg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
nearlymint

Re: New variation SF19 F1 Lotus

Post by nearlymint »

Hi Mick, I would buy the Y1 as it looks like it is a textured roof.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

nearlymint wrote:Hi Mick, I would buy the Y1 as it looks like it is a textured roof.
J
Make an offer including postage from Denmark and I maybe i can get it for you if its still for sale. I know the seller but he lives 40 miles away, I meet him some saturday mornings at flea markets where we both buy. And put a circle around the exact Y1 that you want !
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Hi Mick,
This is the one I am interested in.
y1
y1
y1.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
PM sent
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Paint on the Lotus is a perfect match for the #12 Setra,both bright over white primer.#34 racer is an enamel that doesnt require primer and is the same shade but not as bright as the Setra + Lotus -also yellow SF34 wasnt in production as early as 1970-71
Attachments
2014-03 124.jpg
2014-03 124.jpg (115.29 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Dr Jazz

Post by Dr Jazz »

The color does look spot on :-)

The label we can not put much in. I remember my red Mini with Cooper decals was very fast judged by you Mick to be something a kid did. As a said then it is to soon just to rule something out with some kid did it. Maybe this is a one of and maybe this was a presentation piece. Logic was different 40 years ago, so today logic about branding, using formule 1 car in US and so on, are worthless as argument now. Maybe it does not add up in our oppinion, but if we dont do as Mick has done and research we will lose a lot of knowledge on these rare cars.

Was there no compani in the london area back in 71 called Yum Yum? Some candy? some food stuff?

Jazz
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Dr Jazz wrote:The color does look spot on :-)

The label we can not put much in. I remember my red Mini with Cooper decals was very fast judged by you Mick to be something a kid did. As a said then it is to soon just to rule something out with some kid did it. Maybe this is a one of and maybe this was a presentation piece. Logic was different 40 years ago, so today logic about branding, using formule 1 car in US and so on, are worthless as argument now. Maybe it does not add up in our oppinion, but if we dont do as Mick has done and research we will lose a lot of knowledge on these rare cars.

Was there no compani in the london area back in 71 called Yum Yum? Some candy? some food stuff?

Jazz
No London YUM YUM that I was ever aware of and i grew up there!There was an Asian competitor to chocolate milk market leader Milo called ´´Yumbo´´ with the advertising slogan YUM YUM YUMBO -only time in my childhood i ever came across anything similar ! This tape looks like security tape that a kid has started picking at but lettering is perfect so it is unlikely that this tape was removed from anything else of the lettering would be crazed.Very common in 1970s to print stuff onto clear tape as an alternative to paper stickers or waterslide decals.This Lotus may have come to Denmark in a giftset or a #19 box -like your red tanker it will be interesting to see if we can find anymore of these if they were not one offs brought here by sales people (toy collectors would never let kids get their hands on these and this yellow Lotus shows signs of being handled)
Dr Jazz

Post by Dr Jazz »

That the yellow paint comes original is now 100% a fact. Mick knows his paint and he would see if it had been repainted.

Could it be that someone in the Lesney factory, lets say a newbee got confused between the 19d Lotus and the 34d Formule 1 (I know he must be blind:)) and painted it yellow and it got in to a G4 gift set in 1973?

This way it could be a one of!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Brad Pittiful wrote:cool find...i like the gpw rolls too!
Same here Brad..Grey Plastic wheels on the #44b Rolls-Royce are nice.

Ghosty.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Over the years, Lesney must have been approached by many companies asking for promotional models to...'Promote' their products, food, services etc, etc. Lesney would not want to interupt their planned full production run, just for a few hundred 'promo' models for a small company, in a colour not currently being used,they would however supply any surplus models left over from said production run and top-up to a useful quantity with slight seconds and colour trial models, remembering that those actual models are now promoting a food product and not a "Matchbox" toy, so the colours are not too important and any decoration is easier and cheaper to apply by an outside company or persons on behalf of that company.

A major promotion is a different story, anything over a thousand models would be painted in a matching colour for a company and the decoration would be handled by Lesney themselves, in a professional manner, making those models pretty close to standard catalogued models.

GHOSTHUNTER.