Feeling somewhat alienated in the 2014 Matchbox market.

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
scmcollection

Re: Feeling somewhat alienated in the 2014 Matchbox market.

Post by scmcollection »

As I say I am not a web savvy chap. It has been done, one post in the Superfast forum and another in the Regular forum. Thoughts and opinions are welcome and encouraged.

Some names I can’t give but the resellers / creators I am more than HAPPY to pass on when the time comes, this will only be when you have the background and are happy with the report, doing this prematurely would be potentially disastrous & just turn into a mud slinging contest, not my sport sorry.

A point to consider is that if a person is capable of making a decal fake then by that rationale they are capable of considering making any fake, thus decal fakes would likely be the tip of the “fakers” iceberg. Being a military policeman’s son I have a nose for these things.

SCM
Martin Avis

Post by Martin Avis »

I think you'll find most of us on the same page. Most people here hate fakes and fakers and many have gone the extra mile in trying to educate buyers in the many ways fakes can be spotted.

You only have to spend a short time reading threads on the forum to see that a lot of them are about this very subject and a lot of online auctions with suspect pieces are outed.

My problem with your earlier posts was your assumption - which was actually an accusation - that members of this forum are somehow complicit in putting dodgy variations into Nick's variation guide. That couldn't be further from the truth and is a gross affront.

Nick is one man, with limited time, who has taken on the Herculean task of documenting every regular wheel (and now Superfast) variations. As far as the RW listings were concerned he had the earlier printed works to build upon, but even they had errors. Are the online listings perfect? Of course not! Nick is only human and can only go on information that is available. When major errors are pointed out, in the correct way, he is always happy to make amendments to the listing - usually after a degree of debate has gone on in the forum to make sure the new facts are correct.

Over time the listings will get better, but given the time it all takes, it isn't going to happen overnight. We should be grateful that someone - Nick - is prepared to curate this ever-growing list and be willing to help out in verifying certain listings if need be.

The most helpful way to do that is to create new threads, clearly titled with model number and name, in the appropriate forum to raise your concerns and questions.

That way we can work together and not fight over real or imagined tones of voice. Your alienation might then turn into a new form of engagement.

My dad was a Redcap too - many moons ago!

Martin
scmcollection

Post by scmcollection »

Hello Martin, all understood.

To be crystal clear, I am not saying all members here are complicit in deception, I promise you something interesting will be brought to the fore but only at the right time. For now please let’s talk about Scorpions in the SF forum & Pickfords vans (blue or green) in the regular wheel forum.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Come on SCMCollection now you have decided to come to the surface for air, i think enough of the cloak and dagger. Lets hear your big disclosure that's going to shake the Matchbox collecting community to the core. I would like to say that we cant wait, unfortunately we have been waiting ever since you joined this forum. Time to enlighten us with your untold wisdom. Now i am off to bed!!
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I think the 'Big Reveal' will be something like..."Scmcollection" is a former member of staff at Lesney (and will tell us fakes came out of the factories), and was a very close friend or working partner to Mr Ken Wetton (he still has some of Ken's models), so the revelation will not be as Earth Shattering as expected.

The level of 'Fakery' coming out of any toy or model factory is always of a low percentage and accepted by the managment as "No harm is being done, we make toys not Russian Easter eggs" and they turn a blind eye towards it.

Owning some of Mr Ken Wetton's models is pretty widespread, I have some myself, I was involved with a retail shop at the time he left Lesney and the retail shop Mr Ken Wetton worked for as a freelance model maker and I have seen many strange and unusual models directly obtained from Lesney by Ken, as some sort of underhand self-payment connected to why Ken left Lesney!

If none of the above has anything to do with the 'Big Reveal', then come on mate, please let us know, we won't hate you for it and we might be a little shocked, but you are not helping yourself by holding back information you are dying to tell us, but end up only teasing us!

GHOSTHUNTER.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

There is a hidden agenda here.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."