Lone Star Rolls Royce

Morestone, Benbros, Charbens, DCMT, Kemlows & Moko.
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Lone Star Rolls Royce

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Yes Gerrit, that's the plastic box I did not take a picture of, an exact copy of the type used by 'NOREV' for their Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow.

As regards the rear side window design, I think the Lone-Star is a result of some bad tool making. I have looked at the Lone-Star in detail to try and find a model it may have been based on and it seems to be a miniature version of the 'HUBLEY' friction powered toy, which also has a rather more rounded side window profile than it should be.

What a shame that Silver Cloud is in that condition, there are supposed to be no more than 25 examples of the standard wheelbase car made to design 'SC 10', it needs saving...!

GHOSTHUNTER.
Ecclesley

Post by Ecclesley »

Got this one in the mail today. It is in a reasonable condition, but as usual it is missing front and rear bumpers. Somebody should do something about that.
I haven't decided what to with it, maybe an open version or what?

The quickest way to end a war? Lose it!
See (part of) my collection here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/broadcaster/
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Yes, make it a DHC and give it single headlights. I would also file away the door lines (this is a 4 door car anyway), and add copper wire for the new door lines making it a nice 2 door Drop Head Coupe.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Ecclesley

Post by Ecclesley »

On 2nd and 3rd thought I will keep it as it is. The car (left) has a slighter darker hue of blue and that is quite all right.

jeff f

Post by jeff f »

hi, yes i like the lonestar rolls alot as well, can i ask, did you once post on a french rolls royce site ? if so was it yourself who converted a solido renault reinastella into a rolls ?, if you are any chance of a picture or two of it please ,jeff
Ecclesley

Post by Ecclesley »

jeff f wrote:hi, yes i like the lonestar rolls alot as well, can i ask, did you once post on a french rolls royce site ? if so was it yourself who converted a solido renault reinastella into a rolls ?, if you are any chance of a picture or two of it please ,jeff
Yes that could have been me, the French site Caradisiac.
I have made 3 of these Reinastella conversions in the meantime, I will post some pictures in the European and Far East made toys thread, right now.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Here are some of the smaller circa Matchbox size Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III models.
DSC06508 - Copy.JPG
DSC06508 - Copy.JPG (84.28 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
The first model on the left is an 'IMPY' version, used here for comparisen, the rest are 'FLYERS' versions.
DSC06509.JPG
DSC06509.JPG (77.24 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
As an 'IMPY' model, it has Black plastic tyres on metal wheel rims and 'Jewelled' headlamps. These were marketed in simple Window boxes.
DSC06510.JPG
DSC06510.JPG (88.24 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
When the range was converted to 'FLYERS' with low friction wheel and axle components, #22 Rolls-Royce was in a new colour of dark Metallic Red, the 'Jewelled' headlamps have gone, the 'IMPY' name on the base was blanked-out and the box did not have the window section applied, it also had a large sticker proclaiming the model as a new flyers model.

The example shown above is the first version of a 'FLYERS' model with the Steel Spring suspension system.
DSC06511.JPG
DSC06511.JPG (90.66 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
This is the modified version with the plastic suspension system and while there is no visible difference from the outside...
DSC06519.JPG
DSC06519.JPG (126.89 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
...turn the model over and all is plain to see.
DSC06517.JPG
DSC06517.JPG (199.23 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
This picture shows the blanking plate over the area previously used for the 'IMPY' name.

Another change happened to the model's specification, when the design of the wheels changed from the nice metal inserts seen on the first Flyer model, to a 'Hot Foiled' design similar to what was used on the Matchbox 'Superfast' models.
DSC06512.JPG
DSC06512.JPG (109.65 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
In real life this design is classed as 'Ro Style' and was very popular on many British cars during the early 1970'S.

With the new wheels and additional colours, the models were put into slightly larger fully closed boxes.
DSC06513.JPG
DSC06513.JPG (111.23 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
This example in White can a have Satin or Gloss finish baseplate.
DSC06514.JPG
DSC06514.JPG (121.05 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
Deep metallic Blue.
DSC06515.JPG
DSC06515.JPG (122.35 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
Non-metallic medium Red.
DSC06521.JPG
DSC06521.JPG (87.45 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
The models here are essentially the cross-over models with the left 'IMPY' model having the flat floor behind the front seats, the next 'IMPY' model has the angled floor and the first 'FLYERS' model also has the angled floor behind the front seats.

One final detail change for the later Flyers, the front edge of the baseplate has a little notch added ahead of the base fixing screw, no idea why this was done!
DSC06516.JPG
DSC06516.JPG (296.73 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
Early and later 'FLYERS' baseplates.

I have to thank Reg ("Fixer"), for the supplying of Two of the models from above to help me move nearer to completing my 'LONE-STAR' Rolls-Royce collection, Reg, despite what the others say about you, you are an Angel at Heart for doing what you did for me and that other model is still safe and sound.

GHOSTHUNTER.
fixer

Post by fixer »

It's a pleasure Kev as I have said before some models fit better in certain collections and they do look good alongside their siblings ,
Is this a start to a lone star listing as you know I may have a couple to show
reg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Thank's Reg.

No, I won't add general Lone-Star to this, I much rather add it to one of the threads already created, yourself, "Ewan" and "Viewfield" have already created Lone-Star topics, so I will continue with one of those and put links to the others, if that's OK.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:One final detail change for the later Flyers, the front edge of the baseplate has a little notch added ahead of the base fixing screw, no idea why this was done!
It would have helped in correctly locating the baseplate during assembly, thereby speeding up production.