RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Dinky toys by Meccano
RSSierra

Re: RSSierra's Dinky Additions

Post by RSSierra »

Thanks for the comments guys. I think it will be sometime before I top this lot if ever.

Kevin

Photos of boot floor below:

Chris, I found another "Beatle" in the bag of figures. He it is with all on board:

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Thank's Dave for the extra Phantom V picture and how deceiving pictures can be because while the rear lights seem Orange in your earlier picture, they are now Red! both colours were used on these lights, Orange first then Red. Red lights and floor in the boot define your example as a slightly later issue than I first suggested, on my current listing there are a few earlier versions than yours, but you still have a very good example.

This model went through many casting modifications. It was also made in kit form in 1971. Re-issued in 1977 as number 124, with some rather clumsy re-tooling to close off the opening bonnet and rear doors!

Production ceased during 1979 becoming one of the longest running Dinky models in production and still catalogued up to the closure of the Liverpool factory in November 1979. I have a White painted #124 body casting, rescued from the fiasco during the time the receivers went in to sort things out!
White number 124 from 1979..JPG
White number 124 from 1979..JPG (2.8 KiB) Viewed 767 times
Ghosthunter.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Hi all,
I've always thought that two of the worst Dinky models for shop window sunfade were the yellow 101 and the light yellow Mk1 Cortina. It's quite common to take one out of it's cellophane fronted box only to find that it's a completely different colour on the inside!
Cheers
CW
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Chris, your expertise please mate....

I just picked up the 40g / 159 Morris Oxford below, cheap as chips as it has been stood on and suffered A pillar damage, I can't find reference to or photo's of a blue with blue hubs. Blue with grey hubs is the usual. Looks OK, but will have to wait until it arrives.

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Dave,
I really hope that that is original. If it is it's the rarest of all the 40 series cars.
Lets keep our fingers crossed mate!
Chris Warr.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Hi Dave,

Just had a quick look at the lists. I've only ever seen one blue Oxford in my hand, the shade was the same as the Vanguard / Triumph in this series.
The only concerns with yours are it looks a bit dark, and the handles / hubs look like they've had a bit of touching up.
Never know though, lets see what it looks like when it arrives!
Hope it's real mate.
CW.

PS...Keep an eye out for all cream oxfords with green hubs, they are 159's that didn't get the two tone green sprayed on.
I've never seen one, but by the same logic a brown with cream hubs might exist as well?
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Hey Chris thanks for the quick response. You've confirmed my thoughts, thanks. The door handles, axle ends, grill and headlights have all been embellishments shed with silver paint and it looks like the same paint has been applied to the baseplate too. Worth a punt for 15 quid.

Whilst editing the original photo's above I've become dubious of this one being totally original, other than the silver paint mentioned above.

Post auction I got a fixed price offer as I had this item on my watch list and it hadn't sold. The Price was right, wear looked consistent, the seller I have purchased from before and I thought I could remove the silver with acetone or similar. 10-15 seconds assessment, Purchased it and uploaded the photo here a little later. Totally missed the small amount of blue paint on the baseplate, that ain't factory, and possible lack of blue paint on the interior of the body she'll. Looks like I have a white elephant, if a fake I will need to have a word to the seller.....and be less impulsive with my buying....

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by RSSierra on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Totally agree with the findings so far on the Blue Oxford. I don't think the previous owner was intending to create a fake model, or he would not have been so enthusiastic with the Silver paint! I think he wanted to be a bit nearer an original Blue model by painting a played with example to look similar.

Ghosthunter.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Hi Dave,
Even if you strip it and repaint it blue it's worth that.
Funny, I've seen lots of fake maroon Vanguards, a few fake black Triumphs, but never a fake blue Oxford. Maybe it's just not that known about.
The only one I ever saw was real, but I lacked the £1500.00 to add it!
CW.
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Here's what we're on about....
To me, unlike the maroon Vanguard and black Triumph, which were deliberate choices of finish, the blue Oxford is simply a body that was intended to be brown / grey, hence the hubs, which was sprayed in this colour because it followed a lot of Vanguards / Triumphs down the line, and there was paint left in the guns.
Wish I had one though...
CW