Re: Removing paint

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

motorman wrote:And it is lemon scented........which is nice :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ghosty.
KennewickMan

Post by KennewickMan »

I am certain it is covered here, but here are two from my own (original) collection. I apparently thought I could enhance the beauty of these once upon a time and decided they all needed red taillights and silver trim. Of course, I have ALWAYS thought my artistic vision far exceeded my ability to deliver... ;)
20160530_001_D300(small).jpg
20160530_001_D300(small).jpg (330.92 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
20160530_002_D300(small).jpg
20160530_002_D300(small).jpg (263.76 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
20160530_003_D300(small).jpg
20160530_003_D300(small).jpg (179.9 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
I think the offending material is/was Tester's model paint...late 60s or early 70s vintage.

So, there are really two questions here - I'm planning on listing these and their family - am I worrying too much about removing my artwork? I would classify nothing in my collection above a 7+ or 8-

If I were to try and remove the paint, what method?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
"Obsessed?"
"No, just VERY focused"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hi KenwicMman.

Have you read the posts in the earlier pages of this thread, because I think you will find some answers within. If the Testors paint you used was for the average hobbyist, I assume it was enamel based, meaning it dries to a hard enough finish to not require oven baking. If this is the case, then some of the liquids mentioned in the earlier posts should help remove the paint without damaging the model's original baked paint.

Please do read the earlier posts and come back with any further questions.

Ghosthunter.
KennewickMan

Post by KennewickMan »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Hi KenwicMman.

Have you read the posts in the earlier pages of this thread, because I think you will find some answers within. If the Testors paint you used was for the average hobbyist, I assume it was enamel based, meaning it dries to a hard enough finish to not require oven baking. If this is the case, then some of the liquids mentioned in the earlier posts should help remove the paint without damaging the model's original baked paint.

Please do read the earlier posts and come back with any further questions.

Ghosthunter.
Thank you, sir...looks like I'll try the brake fluid option. That being said, is there much point, market-wise, in cleaning these kinds of models up?
"Obsessed?"
"No, just VERY focused"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

From my own personal viewpoint no, unless the models in question can be found to be scarce issues, which looking at them in your pictures I don't think they are, they appear to be fairly common issues, but do please show us both baseplates for a bit more assessment of them, thank's.

Ghosthunter.
KennewickMan

Post by KennewickMan »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:From my own personal viewpoint no, unless the models in question can be found to be scarce issues, which looking at them in your pictures I don't think they are, they appear to be fairly common issues, but do please show us both baseplates for a bit more assessment of them, thank's.

Ghosthunter.

No real need there - nothing of particular interest or value (other than they were *MY* toys). I have incorporated a yellow 41C (call it a C6+) and a red 52C (a C6) into the collection, though.

Thanks for the interest and responses - my go-to gang!
"Obsessed?"
"No, just VERY focused"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

"my go-to gang" we are the gang, got our fingers on the pulse of collecting!! :lol:

Ghosty.
A-Man-Called-Bwian

Post by A-Man-Called-Bwian »

It would be ironic if my post on paint removing was removed....
I'm using 'Nitro Mors' (ethyl acetate acetone methanol) to try and remove the orange paint from a kingsize cement mixer lorry. I'm on my third attempt - that ol' paint don't wanna go!
All my collection is absolutely mint, sage and onion condition
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Nitomors isn't the paint stripper it once was. It originally contained dichloromethane (aka methylene dichloride) as the active ingredient but, alas, no more.