Vintage bus lines

Corgi & Husky toys by Mettoy
LUFF

Re: Vintage bus lines

Post by LUFF »

Hi Idris

Thankyou for pointing out the reference library I had not found that page ,if it is the Corgi Classic price guide I will add pictures of it with pleasure.

Bill
I can see that I was right about the influence of Reeves ( page 94 ),
I only have one question about 1:1 real buses, that is the TTC fishbowls are the only operator to have a NONE sliding window (rear sidewalk window)??
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

LUFF wrote:Hi Idris

Thank you for pointing out the reference library I had not found that page ,if it is the Corgi Classic price guide I will add pictures of it with pleasure.
Thank you!
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

LUFF wrote: Bill
I can see that I was right about the influence of Reeves ( page 94 ),
I only have one question about 1:1 real buses, that is the TTC fishbowls are the only operator to have a NONE sliding window (rear sidewalk window)??
The real GMC Fishbowls (New Look) buses were built in many different lengths (between 25ft and 40ft), and two different widths! Some had the standee windows above the main windows, some did not. Some had the mid-side exit door, some did not. Opening side windows (sliding sideways) was standard, but could be deleted for fixed windows. Also the big a/c lump over the back window was not there on non a/c buses. (HOT in the summer!) They were used as city transit buses, charter buses and inter-city buses. One city (Dayton, Ohio) also has some converted to electric trackless trolleys.

I have been in many Fishbowls growing up in Baltimore, and photographed many more. Few are left now, as they would all be considered antiques.
Attachments
BONANZA6521.jpg
2934.jpg
908.jpg
2905e.jpg
2905b.jpg
2905.jpg
2227G_NIS.jpg
0158.jpg
DowntownBus427_mb.jpg
At the beach, counting down to retirement.
LUFF

Post by LUFF »

The TTC had fishbowl trackless trolly buses that were from Edmonton .

The lower picture shows the rear window common to ALL buses the other 7 are sliders?

There is two reasons that fishbowls are not used now
1 Emissions
2 they are not disable friendly low floor.
Attachments
TTC (leased to edmonton transit 1992).jpg
ttc wilson yard 1987.jpg
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

LUFF wrote:The TTC had fishbowl trackless trolly buses that were from Edmonton .

The lower picture shows the rear window common to ALL buses the other 7 are sliders?

There is two reasons that fishbowls are not used now
1 Emissions
2 they are not disable friendly low floor.
Very true. Calgary kept them going until they were forced to take them off of the road.

Still occasionally see a privately owned Fishbowl converted into a motor home. That used to be a fad here.
LUFF

Post by LUFF »

The Corgi vintage bus line liverys were taken from real bus companys .
ALL except #us54018 GM4503 "CORGI CITY " issued in 2003,this one is painted in Red White and Blue with Corgi City Stages
down the sides ,a small corgi logo ,the fleet number 2003 and destination of 3 WEST ERIE it was also being retired in the year.

The address of the Corgi Collectors Club in America was "430 west erie ,suit 205 ,Chicago,IL.????
Attachments
P1000544.JPG
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

LUFF wrote:The Corgi vintage bus line liverys were taken from real bus companys .
ALL except #us54018 GM4503 "CORGI CITY " issued in 2003,this one is painted in Red White and Blue with Corgi City Stages
down the sides ,a small corgi logo ,the fleet number 2003 and destination of 3 WEST ERIE it was also being retired in the year.

The address of the Corgi Collectors Club in America was "430 west erie ,suit 205 ,Chicago,IL.????
Back in the day, yes.
LUFF

Post by LUFF »

In 1992 the Motor Coach Industries (M.C.I) bus manufacturer up dated their models from MC.B and C to a more modern inter city bus MCI 102-dl3 with wheelchair lift (option) and a larger engine .

As most collectors know it can take upto two years from idea to production for a diecast model to enter the market ( before C.A.D ) so i think that Corgi must have been given access to the factory plans to produce the 1994 catalogue with models to be produced that year .

Produced in 1994 were a Demo bus and two for "Peter Pan" Buses of Springfield in two formes a collectors model and a Bus Bank.
I am not sure if because of the complex design or that production was the only way to make them but Corgi/Mattel used
water slide decals NOT Tampo ????
Eary production models were wrapped in tissue but it was found that when the Decal dried it flaked off rubbing on the box so later models were shrink wrapped in plastic (decal now very fragile after 27 years).
Attachments
P1010871.JPG
P1010873.JPG
P1010876.JPG
P1010877.JPG
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

I was wondering if you were interested in the MCI coaches too. They are nice models.
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Do you have this one?

It's from almost 20 years ago, so I doubt the address is still good.
Attachments
nmmm2.jpg
nmmm1.jpg