Help, have I done the right thing, new UK Collector

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
smudger

Re: Help, have I done the right thing, new UK Collector

Post by smudger »

Good day everyone,

I hope you are all keeping safe and well, I have attached photos of the 49a. With regards crimpled axis, they all have them less the black wheel versions (x2).

I will show my naivety here and have to ask what's the best way to identify if the rollers/wheels are plastic, I don't want to take the rubber off. I am really sorry for having to ask but I am hoping there is a simple method that I have not been able to identify on the internet!

I may be able to find out more but with data protection and the UK 4 week lockdown, this may take some time and they may say no to my request.

There were a total of 12 available in total and there were no other car related lots.

please do ask if you would like anything else, living the lockdown dream :D
Attachments
49a - 22.jpeg
49a - 21.jpeg
49a - 20.jpeg
49a - 19.jpeg
49a - 18.jpeg
49a - 17.jpeg
49a - 16.jpeg
49a - 15.jpeg
49a - 14.jpeg
49a - 13.jpeg
49a - 12.jpeg
49a - 11.jpeg
49a - 10.jpeg
49a - 9.jpeg
49a - 8.jpeg
49a - 7.jpeg
49a - 6.jpeg
49a - 5.jpeg
49a - 4.jpeg
49a - 3.jpeg
49a - 2.jpeg
49a - 1.jpeg
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Evening Adam,

The metal rollers are grey and have a texture the same as the front metal wheels.
grey plastic are shiny and smooth and can be dark or light grey.
The black rollers you show are plastic which are shiny and smooth.
Under normal circumstances all crimped axles are paired with metal rollers but it pays to check all just in case an unlisted variation shows up and this is where the fun comes in with so many to check.

Here is a picture of a grey plastic roller on this model to give you an idea of how the difference shows up in a photo along with metal and black plastic for comparison.

By the way I think it is a very good practice that whenever showing a model always show a picture of the axle free end. The free end is the end that is either crimped or riveted (sometimes referred to as rounded.) My belief here is that it instantly shows to the audience there is nothing to hide and it takes the guesswork out of any scrutiny. Your images are nice quality which is also important and how they are shown is perfect.

In my composite pic I have deliberately put a metal wheel and metal roller (your pic) at the top showing crimped side.
In the middle is a gpw front with grey plastic rollers with dome head showing on axles.
The bottom is bpw with black plastic rollers and I have selected the free end as riveted ends visible.

The 49a also comes with silver plastic rollers so I will snap an image and compare for you when it is daylight.

Hope that helps

Bert

Edit. I have added a second pic showing the two sizes and profiles of the black plastic rollers found on the 49a. A close look will also show how riveted axle ends can vary on the same model.
Attachments
49a roller black plastic.JPG
roller metal grey plastic and black plastic.jpg
Last edited by yellowfoden on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

An easy (if somewhat unhygienic) way of telling metal wheels/rollers from plastic ones is simply to touch them with your tongue. Metal ones will feel cold.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

except for the two with black plastic wheels and rollers, all the others in these pictures have metal wheels and metal rollers. As Bert says, that means they span the whole period of production from 1958 to 1967.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Thanks very much everyone, I really appreciate you all sharing your knowledge (and tips, mouthwash at the ready for the metal plastic test :D)
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

I use my lower lip for the metal/plastic temperature test - slightly more hygienic but still looks odd if done in front of others!
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I used to tap the wheel on a front tooth. That no longer works with fake teeth :roll:
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
smudger

Post by smudger »

Haha, I can only imagine the looks! Looks like the Super Atlantic 16b GPW is going on eBay, fingers crossed it’s going to go to a good home. Any advice? Should I put it in the market place here or just let the eBay market decide? I’ve read the eBay thread and that’s really informative and have learnt how it should be properly packaged.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Tinman wrote:I used to tap the wheel on a front tooth. That no longer works with fake teeth :roll:
...or fake wheels!!

Ghosty.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

smudger wrote:Looks like the Super Atlantic 16b GPW is going on eBay, fingers crossed it’s going to go to a good home. Any advice?
These are often faked by changing the wheels, so any purchaser will want really clear pictures of the peened side of the axles, which is the left side on yours. If you know how much you want for it you could try on the Marketplace here. Beware of low offers from members - there's no reason to assume that all people here are equally scrupulous! It would fetch a good price on eBay. I'd like it to stay with its original box, but you might get more from selling them separately.

But if you are serious about starting a collection, keep it! You'll never get another in this condition. Most of the others you've got are not at all hard to find. Sell most of them, and keep the GPW 16b instead.