Can't find new Matchboxes

Non UK made Matchbox toys 1983 on
misterpop

Re: Can't find new Matchboxes

Post by misterpop »

So the cars that where about when we where younger had a more interesting look and they where a new modern more aspiring thing to own .I never thought I would ever own a car but when I started railway modeling I could hunt down the vehicles I saw on the road and do with them whatever I liked[Sorry MB collectors] . Cars in the shop or elsewhere were my roar materials and I particularly loved American cars and trucks but they looked odd with my trains so one had to go...Now I only collect very little, mostly cars I have owned or like the look of,Rextoy,Oxford ,Vitesse that sort of thing but if Matchbox would make more realistic real cars I would definitely buy more than the handful I have picked up these last few years but what good is that going to do Mattel? They sell mainly to kids I would have thought..At least they have managed to keep the price down and when one I fancy pops up I can always afford to drop one in with the rest of my shopping.--------Oh Keep your eye on Sainsburys they usually have equal amounts of both range's..
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
Diecastmolester

Post by Diecastmolester »

First of all, a lot of adults collect Hot Wheels and Matchboxes, not just kids. Secondly, Matchbox currently makes a lot of very realistic looking cars and I would still be as keen a buyer as I used to be before they just disappeared from everywhere.
Sainsbury's don't carry Matchbox anymore, in the entire UK Tesco is now the only game in town. And a lot more of that stuff would casually slip into my shopping cart if they had any in stock! A bloody empty drawer in a huge supermarket just isn't good enough.
Cowydd O'Lochdown-Bragsitt
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Diecastmolester wrote:First of all, a lot of adults collect Hot Wheels and Matchboxes, not just kids. Secondly, Matchbox currently makes a lot of very realistic looking cars and I would still be as keen a buyer as I used to be before they just disappeared from everywhere.
Sainsbury's don't carry Matchbox anymore, in the entire UK Tesco is now the only game in town. And a lot more of that stuff would casually slip into my shopping cart if they had any in stock! A bloody empty drawer in a huge supermarket just isn't good enough.
Sorry no offence on the HotWheels front its just I think like you Matchbox should be better represented in our Super Shops...
Not been in Sainsburys big store since lockdown so did'nt know they had binned the Matchbox stuff I was just trying to help.

You are right they are doing some realistic cars again its just finding them -Ranchero,Cadillac,and a few more I now have and very good they are too and nice plain colours just suits me fine.
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
Diecastmolester

Hey, I'm not offended. And even if I were, it would be, contrary to a lot of people nowadays, my personal hobby.

What I am observing with Mattel, Barbie, Hot Wheels, Matchbox and all, is that there is a business run into the ground by some uni degree suits what with their good for nothing BA degrees won with marketing tinned soup. It's 1979 all over.

Ooh, them young folks aren't into toy cars anymore, jadda, jadda, rhubarb, old fart ranting here.
Well, they probably would be if there were any. Have you checked out the toy sections of those chain stores lately?
I would have been as appalled of what I see when I was a wee lad as I am now.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

I agree.This is why lockdown has reeled us in a bit,I am looking all over now for second hand stuff since theres been no Fairs and my only model shop within miles is only dealing from the front door or on line.His diecast is quite extensive and I always bought whenever I visited but his main thing is trains so he cant display all his second hand stuff. There is a wholesale model place somewhere in Manchester and if I knew which one I would be tempted to go and invest in a couple of Matchbox trade boxes,you never know what you might find or maybe there not available wholesale....Well off to bed now.Keep safe.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Diecastmolester wrote:It's 1979 all over.
Maybe even earlier; say 1973-1978. Back then, Lesney was producing some truly goofy models. A few years ago, the only Matchbox I could find on the pegs were in-house designs. In my opinion, that has never been a Matchbox strong suit. Worse yet, many of the models based on actual vehicles are poorly done these days.

It all boils down to cost-cutting. That's a subject better suited for an eventual entry in my blog.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

I went to Tesco last night to try and get Diecast Collector magazine [got it] and looked through the Matchbox and wonders 1933 Plymouth in blue..Gorgeous,makes me want to keep looking....Proper model car....Now to look for the Police version..
Diecastmolester

I picked up the five pack containing the maroon version with the black wings.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Nice one....Its a cracking little model hey?.....
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

OOhh..By the way---Whats first on the starting blocks for 2021......I just got a built Revell Mk2 Consul in the post this morning..I used to own one so its got to be misterpopyfied..

First job this year it gos in the tank tomorrow..Its a plastic kit so lets see what comes out after 3 days...B and Q s own paint stripper for this one ..

Then total rebuild and Monza red paint job.I got a Police version earlier last year but didnt have the heart to strip it....