Classic Super Kings Muscle Cars from Yesteryear toolings

Non UK made Matchbox toys 1983 on
francipe

Re: Classic Super Kings Muscle Cars from Yesteryear toolings

Post by francipe »

matchboxmarcel wrote:super detailled pictures of these models Peter.
You must have a good camera !
Many thanks for posting these.

marcel
Hi Marcel,
Thanks for the kind comments.
I've got a Google Pixel 2 phone which had probably the best camera on a mobile when I bought it 2 years ago. And it's easy to post things on the MOYBOYZ and VBD Forums using just the one device.
francipe

Post by francipe »

I've taken delivery of 3 more models this week.
The Chevelle SS 454 is another with a tampo printed rear registration plate.

It's the boxes on the other two models that caught my eye. There's usually two ¾ images of the car and so there is on these but...
The Challenger has what looks like a photo of the Barrett Jackson version, with the body stripe and Yesteryear issue wheels (YMC12 didn't have tampo printed tyres). Perhaps this is an attempt to display both colour options but most kids will be disappointed to discover the red version doesn't have the sexy body stripe and Goodyear tires. I am!

The blue Oldsmobile 442 comes with the much nicer white interior and a completely different design on the back of the box when compared with the Hershey Toy Show offering. Not only are the images in the alternative colour, the front end of the car has changed with a different grille and bumper.

I've tried Googling the car but didn't couldn't find a model year that had that straight wrap-around bumper with the repeater light above it.

This image from the web shows the reverse of the Chevelle boxes issued with each colour option and the standard lime green Oldsmobile model. They're on the way to me from California. :D

francipe

Post by francipe »

francipe wrote: The one thing here that I think is an improvement is the method of holding the model in the box. The plastic tabs are light years ahead of the plastic covered twisted wire arrangement previously used for years from the maroon boxes of the mid 80s

Be careful what you wish for. It took me ages to remove the recently arrived Oldsmobile 442 from the inner box with much cursing and tugging. I finally managed it without tearing the cardboard and discovered the cause. Pretty obvious really. Poor moulding of the plastic plugs, with one twisted so that it was difficult to line up correctly. Ho hum :evil:

francipe

Post by francipe »

francipe wrote:
I did notice one thing on the box artwork when I put the model back - the body stripe is shown along the length of the car in white and looks good. The 442 logo on the nose is another feature that failed to make the cut.

Whilst I noticed the body stripe it wasn't until I compared the box with the blue version above that I noticed the wheel trims on the Hershey model in contrast to the standard 'arch' issues. Then I remembered my Barrett Jackson models one of which the artist must have used as a model for his work.

cOO7rgi

Post by cOO7rgi »

That’s an excellent thread. Thank you for posting and showing these models!
francipe wrote:The blue Oldsmobile 442 comes with the much nicer white interior and a completely different design on the back of the box when compared with the Hershey Toy Show offering. Not only are the images in the alternative colour, the front end of the car has changed with a different grille and bumper.

I've tried Googling the car but didn't couldn't find a model year that had that straight wrap-around bumper with the repeater light above it.
The blue convertible “442” looks to be the blue Ford Mustang illustration, changed in Photoshop to create an Oldsmobile from it. There is still the distinctive 1970 Boss 302 side stripe. I guess this was the first attempt which looked so awful that the illustrator made a proper Olds 442 later.
francipe

Post by francipe »

I had a couple more deliveries this week.
The silver Dodge Challenger I got several weeks ago, nothing special here a fairly boring silver car but that's how I think about almost every silver car. The alternative colour choice is copper which is much more to my liking but also gets shown here because of the Dodge legend print on the rear ¾ panel. I've also shown the YMC12 release to show what Matchbox could do with the model.
Two Super Kings and the original Yesteryear
Two Super Kings and the original Yesteryear
The other delivery was from Australia and the seller marked it as a $2 trinket gift so I avoided import duty. The Pontiac GTO has been a favourite of mine since it appeared as the third model in the Matchbox Collectibles Yesteryear Muscle Cars Series. Great metallic light blue paint, a blue interior and vinyl roof and red line tyres plus stacked headlights. The Super Kings offering trump's it with a sumptuous metallic dark red that the photos just don't do justice to.
IMG_20200828_145828.jpg
IMG_20200828_145902.jpg
IMG_20200828_150237.jpg
This is another model given a tampo printed rear license plate which the Yesteryear didn't get.
IMG_20200828_145939.jpg
GTO License plate reads MAY (or MAN?) 2006
GTO License plate reads MAY (or MAN?) 2006
The Yesteryear interior once again trumps it's toy playmate with a detailed dashboard and centre console.
20200829_155252-COLLAGE.jpg
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

nice , Peter, great pictures.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
francipe

Post by francipe »

I had a package waiting for me when I returned from my Weekend Retreat on Monday evening. The eBay seller had helpfully bundled four models in one lot and used the Global Shipping Program. This saved me about £60 although I ended up with a duplicate yellow Chevelle (soon to be seen on an auction site near you).
I got the alternative colour choice Chevelle, a glorious metallic pink.
IMG_20200901_144305.jpg
IMG_20200901_144158.jpg
As you can see the pink version retains the tampo printed license plate.
IMG_20200901_040610.jpg
but from this photo I took more notice of the Chevelle legend, below which is a small black plate reading 'BY CHEVROLET'. Once I find where I've hidden the original YMC01 Yesteryear model I can check it out.
Screenshot_20200902-025632~2.png
I noticed previously that the copper coloured Plymouth Road Runner was fitted with yellow tinted windows and the metallic apple green version retains this feature, although it's less noticeable with the yellow seats
IMG_20200901_143539.jpg
IMG_20200901_143635.jpg
The other model was the lime green Oldsmobile with white seats, which enabled me to see the yellow tinted windows had been used here as well.
IMG_20200901_142943.jpg
This was less noticeable on the twin Hershey Toy Show model which has yellow seats. In checking this I noticed that the two cars are finished in slightly different shades of metallic lime green, the Hershey release being lighter.
IMG_20200902_132039.jpg
Now I've only the elusive Mustangs and the El Camino to get.
francipe

Post by francipe »

francipe wrote: As you can see the pink version retains the tampo printed license plate.
IMG_20200901_040136.jpg
but from this photo I took more notice of the Chevelle legend, below which is a small black plate reading 'BY CHEVROLET'. Once I find where I've hidden the original YMC01 Yesteryear model I can check it out.
Screenshot_20200902-025632~2.png
The original YMC01 Chevelle has tampo printed hood catches which would have been obliterated by the enlarged hood stripes.
The original Yesteryear model
The original Yesteryear model
The trunk decoration is more interesting. The Chevelle legend isn't underscored by the plate with the 'BY CHEVROLET' marking. This rather suggests that Mattel have gone to the expense of getting the tampo plate made just for a run of 40,000 models which somewhat goes against the grain. The plate also now includes black outline to the Chevelle legend. Here's the rather plain Yesteryear print.
The rather plain Yesteryear print
The rather plain Yesteryear print
The superior Super Kings offering
The superior Super Kings offering
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

superior close up pictures Peter.
Thanks for posting these very sharp photos.

marcel
matchboxmarcel