From Nearlymint to Kwackers

Post photographs of your collection here!
DrJeep

Re: From Nearlymint to Kwackers

Post by DrJeep »

The coloured bases are really interesting. It seems like someone put careful thought into colour choice for the American cars only - the 27c Cadillac, the 31b Fairlane, 39b Pontiac convertible, 57b Chevrolet, and 75a Thunderbird. I think the only other vehicle from this era to have a range of base colours was the 74a canteen. I know others - like the 19b MGA, the 39a Zodiac convertible and the 29a Bedford milk float - also have coloured bases, but these colours are really for the visible interior. On the American cars the base was invisible until the toy was taken out of the box at home, so I wonder what the point was? They were certainly very disciplined at sticking to the designated colour - maroon then black on the 27c and 39b, black then maroon then black on the 31b, and two shades of blue then black on the other two.

For this anomalous 27c I’d like to think that a whole box (144?) of bases was accidentally sprayed the wrong colour before someone remembered to switch back to red. There would be no point in wasting them, once painted. That means there are some more out there to find...
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Another one I discussed with Dick, he would have loved this.
20a
20a
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Still having my big sort out and I have been moving this display around for a few years so I finally put it on the wall, nice to get some YY models on display. Now and then I will change the models just to get them all displayed at some time or another.
YY display
YY display
J
Nearlymint
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

Mines on the wall behind the door and still empty,some time soon hopefully.
They look like Pre Pros Jason ? very nice.
Gary.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Very nice J and if they are pre-pro's (knowing you they are!) there are some real treasures in there, thanks for showing them Jason.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

A lot of my other YY models have been sold , swapped and some I gave to the local school a couple of years back for the boot sale. I still have quite a few to go but the prepro models will stay with me for now.
Just nice to see them out for a change instead of stored in a box.
Thanks for the comments its nice to share these little pieces of history, most of the prepro models are quite common(they seemed to have made a few of some models).
J
Nearlymint
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

I had 3 of these displays at one time, and populated them as Jason has. The displays have moved on, but the prepros most certainly have not. There are some not-so-common prepros in there as I'm sure you know.
Bob