My collection of vintage vehicles

Post photographs of your collection here!
Teals1

Re: My collection of vintage vehicles

Post by Teals1 »

This set of three models comes on one wooden plinth. Produced by Dinky (#DY903). In order the models are1956 Austin Healey 100 BN2, a1965 Triumph TR4A-IRS, and a 1967 Jaguar E Type Mk 1½.

GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Just to clarify...
DeVille connected to a cars body style (Coupe deville and Sedanca deville), dates back to 1908.

DeVille connected to Cdillac was originally a level of trim applied to the body which became standardised and turned into a body style used by Cadillac as the Cadillac Coupe deVille and what a fine looking late 40's 'Muscle Car' it looks to be, absolutely stunning!

Ghosthunter.
Squid

Post by Squid »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:What a fine looking late 40's 'Muscle Car'
I don't recall reading about how any '49 Cadillac performed when new. The closest thing to a muscle car (a term of 1960s origin, which most correctly refers to intermediate-size cars with big-block engines) in 1949 was the Oldsmobile "Rocket 88."
Teals1

Post by Teals1 »

A couple of cars for today, similar being just a year difference. The first is a 1932 Ford Coupe made by Motor Max American Classic. The second 1933 Ford Coupe was produced by Carlectibles. I got the second one for a very cheap price as it is missing the two front hubcaps. These I will have to either find a supplier for or make up a couple of my own.

GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I would be interested in how you would make those hub caps.

Ghosthunter.
Teals1

Post by Teals1 »

I was thinking as a last resort to taking measurements off those hubcaps still there, drawing up a 3D image, have them 3D printed and then paint them. I know, it's not the same, but would look better than without them. Picked up another Matchbox model yesterday - photo to follow soon. Was in a second-hand dealers store where there were a large number of Matchbox models on sale, all in boxes. Most were trucks.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

My method for making those hub caps would be to press very tightly some thin 'BacoFoil' over one of the rear caps to make an impression which then needs some epoxy resin glue placing behind to give it strength. When set hard, just cut around the hub cap to leave a pretty good copy and replacement. You can now trim this until it is a nice snug fit into the centre of the front wheel. Make it too small then add some 'Pritstick' paper glue to secure it.

I used this method on the 12th scale Airfix Bentley to reposition the grille badge where Airfix moulded it in the wrong place so I made a foil impression of the badge, cut off the moulded Airfix badge and stuck on my foil badge in the correct place, works a treat!

Try it out on a coin first to get the feel of what I am explaining.

Ghosthunter.
Teals1

Post by Teals1 »

That's a great tip Ghosthunter. I'll certainly give that a go. Today is a holiday so what better time! :)
Teals1

Post by Teals1 »

A model that I collected when purchasing a kids lot for the grandkids - and for Grandpa! :D This one is a 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900 by Newray - #48483

Teals1

Post by Teals1 »

Picked this one up from an antique shop while passing through a small town. The Matchbox Y-28 model is a 1906 Unic taxi. The box was a little worse for wear but at least it was there. The blurb on the box says, "In October 1906 a town carriage competition was held in London. Among the taxis exhibited was a Unic Motorcab made by Richard-Brasier of Paris. It excelled above the competition as the best for bodywork, smooth braking and gear change, easy access and comfort for passengers, and smooth running. Such was its achievement that the Unic served the London Cab trade for 25 years." I was struck by the similarity of design to the 1909 Itala 35-45 HP (Dugu #1-43 N6) that also sits in my collection.