Three-way Axle Crimps

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
DrJeep

Re: Three-way Axle Crimps

Post by DrJeep »

Idris wrote:I think of the peening tool as being something like an inverted hollow cone (which would be self-centring). The cone rotated, generating heat by friction when it was forced into contact with the axle end. The softened metal then flowed, resulting in a mushroomed axle end.
On the other hand, peened ends often display grooves, running from the centre to the outer edge. These are difficult to explain with the rotating cone theory unless the inside of the cone was ridged (and hardened) and the cone became stationary at the end of the downward (peening) stroke.
I don’t think that the axle could be heated enough for the metal to flow - the melting point of steel is 1500C and I’m sure the wheels would melt at a much lower temperature than this. I imagine it’s pressure that shapes the end, rather like peening with a hammer. I think the cone still works, though - a single strike would be enough to make the end plastic and probably give the typical grooves too. A single hammer strike would be enough to flatten the end of an axle (that’s how fakes are done) so a well-designed tool would do this easily. I must add that I really don’t know much about metals so I could be completely wrong!
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

So where can i put it in Nicks code :?:
Gary
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

ClOwY wrote:So where can i put it in Nicks code :?:
Gary
It will be the last code in the series as the codes are now fixed and we are not going back in between existing codes.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

OK thanks
Gary
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Either these are more common than we thought, or I have been very lucky.
I have just found a 63a with a three-way crimp rear axle (Nick Jones variation code 4) for my own collection:
Attachments
My 63a-1 (enlargement).jpg
My 63a-1 (enlargement).jpg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 9656 times
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Idris wrote:Either these are more common than we thought, or I have been very lucky
lucky anyway, I think. Even if more turn up they're not going to be really common. Interesting that it's another 63a. Is it only on one axle?
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Perhaps these are more common. This is the first model I picked up and it has this crimp on the rear right, the front is peened normally on the left.
Attachments
IMG_8796.JPG
IMG_8796.JPG (114.2 KiB) Viewed 9636 times
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Another 63a! Is there a pattern?
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

DrJeep wrote:
Idris wrote:Either these are more common than we thought, or I have been very lucky
lucky anyway, I think. Even if more turn up they're not going to be really common. Interesting that it's another 63a. Is it only on one axle?
Yes, rear offside (as per all the others).
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

What and how many models do we have at the moment?
Gary