Cleaning/removing paint off of model...

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Cleaning/removing paint off of model...

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I don't mind a bit of stripping myself, but that's another story... ;)

Ghosty.
motorman

Post by motorman »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I don't mind a bit of stripping myself, but that's another story... ;)

Ghosty.
I think I am going to vomit!
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Its very satisfying ,you should try it and show us the results MOTORMAN.. :lol: :lol:
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
motorman

Post by motorman »

misterpop wrote:Its very satisfying ,you should try it and show us the results MOTORMAN.. :lol: :lol:
No one should ever see that!
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

motorman wrote:
misterpop wrote:Its very satisfying ,you should try it and show us the results MOTORMAN.. :lol: :lol:
No one should ever see that!
But just in case they do, try this...

#yesthisis.me

Ghosty.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

OK my much preferred method of removing paint is now set in stone.
For a few years before retiring I was working as a lacky at B&Q and in that period Nitromores changed there chemical recipe to a more user friendly base. Now for anyone trying to remove 60 year old baked on finishes from Dinky ,Corgi,Lesney to me there stuff just wasnt cutting it.Maybe I was expecting to much to quickly but a fast strip was no longer possible[IMHO] So a slower and CHEAPER product has now become my staple chemical..
..I hate to say this but B&Qs own that comes in a white plastic container given the time and a deep enough jug will shift most paints,its relatively cheap and doesnt smell to bad.Also no wheels where eaten . :D
I like to then give mine a quick wash in thinners {check Lldl for Baufix] thougher rinse in a bucket outside to get rid of the smell and then let it join the washing up indoors....Then the bit I like picking with a scalpel and a brass wire brush from Poundland.[Other cheap shops are available]...

Plastic goes in the tank today if I can find something with a bit of old paint on but I do know from past working that a certain oven cleaner works safely as I did a Pocher kit a few years ago and its still in one piece [Well a lot realy but thats another story ]
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Ahhh haa Found one...........This is how I like to buy them.
blackengine.jpg
blackengine.jpg (275.91 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
Sorry thats a new arrival this morning....

Here we go...HELP SAVE ME do I hear !!?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
blackroll.jpg
blackroll.jpg (173.76 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
blackside.jpg
blackside.jpg (225.33 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I take it the old Airfix Rolls-Royce is destined for a dunking to reveal the original plastic (bright Red in this case), underneath that high quality paint job by a previous owner!

This I must see...

Ghosty.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Now steady down Kevin..Not in a month of Aprils would I consign this fabulous hand crafted collectors item to a fate worse than death..No indeed the front half was purchased as a front end for a code 3 Rolls Royce I was thinking of constructing on the front of a General Bus...Rest assured that only the back end will be submerged in the deadly chemicals...As you will see tomorrow when I can get back to the shed......Updates on its progress will be broadcast when and however things do or dont materialise.....Night all.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

rollsdunk.jpg
rollsdunk.jpg (127.2 KiB) Viewed 2654 times

rollssink.jpg
rollssink.jpg (118.21 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
rollssunk.jpg
rollssunk.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
Help me help me !!!!

Can I hear Vincent Price calling?