Re: Anomalous Trim Colour

Post by Idris »

36a and 43a with gold instead of silver trim:
Attachments
3G.jpg
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

All of this trim color discussion and concerns of promoting fraud is probably not warranted. There are not many castings that one would pay a premium for a different trim color and I doubt anyone would pay a premium for a mixed color trim example.

It also brings up a sad memory for me. Before I sold off my main collection, I enjoyed having many visitors over to show and share the collection. In all those years, I never had anything go missing ... except for one item: A 20a ERF stake truck in dark red with no brace and gold trim. The model was C9+ condition. I didn't notice it was missing for about 10 days, but I distinctly remember the last person to visit and him commenting on the model. They took the model right off the top of the box in my display and carefully placed another loose model on the box. This was a person who was well known on the old MCCH forums. I wrestled over how to deal with the issue and decided to let it go as best as I could (since I didn't have any concrete proof). However, when forced to deal with him with regard to forum business, I found it difficult and tended to be very biased in my views and opinions concerning him. Sorry to go off topic.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

That’s a sad story and a very scarce variation too!

I think it’s good to share information about these trim colours - otherwise, how would anyone learn? But there is definitely a premium market for anomalous trim colours - this Wolseley with gold trim sold for over $100, which is a lot more than a silver trim version would fetch. My experience is that in the UK it’s as easy to find the silvery gold trimmed Wolseley as the silver version.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

My understanding is that an "anomalous trim color" would be the mixing of gold and silver in amounts of various content of either.

I would not use anomalous to describe a model normally found with silver trim having gold trim (or the reverse).  Since these hand applied (by brush) trims are a deliberate application. A person would have done many, many models (perhaps hundreds) before being corrected.  They have become a valid variation since they are not a one off production and were deliberately created, in good conscience, and placed in boxes and sold along side other models. They turn up often enough to have been made in large enough numbers that allows there to be quite a few survivors.

With regard to paying a premium for a model that is commonly found with silver - having gold trim (or the reverse), one needs to evaluate the seller and know that in seconds one can remove the trim (without damage to the base paint color) and then apply the reverse color trim. Are you paying an extra $100 for the different color trim added in 1958 or 2020?  
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."