My 2014 Superfast finds

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Johnny Pimp

Re: My 2014 Superfast finds

Post by Johnny Pimp »

motorman wrote:Nice additions JP, and a very warm welcome to the clipped label #32 tanker club I wonder if yours was made during the same production run as i note the label is in the same position as mine. Can you confirm if your tanker has the gray plastic baseplate?.

Well that takes the membership up to 2 unless any other members have other examples?
It's a good club Alex and yes, it does have a grey base. For your info, it's a small PAT APP base and the hollow wheels are all from the 'M' mould. From my experience, the majority of grey base tankers have the labels centred, whilst the chrome models mostly have labels nearer the cab. If these were applied by machine, it would suggest a change to the tooling during the back half of production.

I wonder if the use of clipped labels on the tanker resulted in the eventual need to stick Esso labels on the 13d Dodge?

Grey base tankers have really come down in value recently, so I didn't fancy spending what the seller wanted for this one. After pointing out the variation, he agreed to do a swap for a standard label grey base tanker, plus a little tickle for his trouble. Which was nice.
John

Want Matchbox? Visit www.matchboxforsale.com !
motorman

Post by motorman »

Thats great JP good to see mine is not a one off!! I dont have mine to hand to check the wheel moulds but will do so when i get the chance. Nice one mate!
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

John I would have to agree about the 31 box without TM, still need that one. Must admit I do not pay premium for boxes, just keep waiting for the right price or deal.
Nice to see one though.
All the best
Jason
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
Johnny Pimp

Post by Johnny Pimp »

nearlymint wrote:John I would have to agree about the 31 box without TM, still need that one. Must admit I do not pay premium for boxes, just keep waiting for the right price or deal.
Nice to see one though.
All the best
Jason
Hi Jason,

If you're not too fussy about condition, I've got one that needs both end flaps reattaching.

PM me your address and you can have it.

Cheers
John

Johnny Pimp

Post by Johnny Pimp »

Chalked off one of my most wanted at long last: -

Lime green with colourless windows (and incorrectly placed label!).

I can't see this listed with a pink base but the variation tables may refer to this colour as yellow-green metallic.

The Group 6 is a fun model to collect with numerous variations. I'm still on the lookout for a dark lime metallic with colourless windows, though I suspect that this will actually turn out to be a green metallic with a very thin application of the emerald top coat.
John

nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

They look superb John, I do like this model a lot. I have never found or seen these variations as yet with the clear and amber windows swapped over. Nice one. J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

I am also still looking for these window variations - must be a tiny proportion of production of this very common model which I find is one of the most interesting SF ever made
motorman

Post by motorman »

Congratulations JP that is a very nice example of a rare variation.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Johnny Pimp

Post by Johnny Pimp »

I'm blowing the cobwebs off this thread for a 2016 update!

With an ever-decreasing pool of missing Superfast variations for me to collect, I've only managed to add the following over the past few months: -

A second clear window / lime green metallic 45-c Ford Group 6, this time with a gloss black base: -

Not one I've been holding my breath for but another ticked off the list in any case - 45-c Ford group 6 in darker magenta metallic and turquoise base: -

68-c Porsche 910 with '45' label and French promotional 'Elf' box and another Porsche, this time with clear windows and '45' label: -

A couple of pink metallic 36-d Draguars with harder to find clear domes, ivory and light yellow interiors: -

Dark orange 42-c Iron Fairy Crane with scarce thin slot 4-spoke wheels: -

Early 2-d Mercedes Trailer with 'A' casting (2 lines, no reinforcement): -

John

GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Superb additions to your collection Johnny with those hard to find models.

Ghosthunter.