Reddy brown wheel axle clips

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Johnny Pimp

Re: Reddy brown wheel axle clips

Post by Johnny Pimp »

Idris wrote:
fixer wrote:Never seen any in white double or single...
I've never even heard of the existence of white axle clips!
I do know that Vectis sold a pre-production blue Land Rover safari with white clips back in April 2008 (can't find a picture unfortunately).

The lack of a 'PAT APP' mark on Jason's Greyhound would suggest it's a pre-production too.

The only other 'F' box Superfast model that used clips was the 35 Merryweather Fire Engine, so I guess there's a chance one of those will turn up in time. Probably via Jason!
John

Want Matchbox? Visit www.matchboxforsale.com !
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

I can confirm seeing the plastic granules, as pictured by Joe, On the road by the entrance to the loading bay in Lee Con road circa 1975, It was here that all of the components were brought together for assembly and my favourite hunting spot for collecting raw unassembled Lesney components.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
motorman

Post by motorman »

Johnny Pimp wrote:
Idris wrote:
fixer wrote:Never seen any in white double or single...
I've never even heard of the existence of white axle clips!
I do know that Vectis sold a pre-production blue Land Rover safari with white clips back in April 2008 (can't find a picture unfortunately).

The lack of a 'PAT APP' mark on Jason's Greyhound would suggest it's a pre-production too.

The only other 'F' box Superfast model that used clips was the 35 Merryweather Fire Engine, so I guess there's a chance one of those will turn up in time. Probably via Jason!
Great to see you posting again JP. I have sent you an e mail.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Sir_Matchbox_96

Post by Sir_Matchbox_96 »

Hi all,
I've followed this thread since it started and find it a very interesting subject. Weekend befor last I found a #66 Greyhound with reddy brown axle clips (base looks a bit damaged on the pictures but thats just a bit plasticine and dirt) and motorman linked me at this thread, thanks for that MM!
I took some time, going through my models and checked which Sf's have axle clips in general and which one have the red/reddy brown one. My Sf basic castings collection isn't complete and because of that I miss some for sure (Sf Land Rover...etc.) but as you will all know, the axle clips were mainly used on lorries or larger vehicles. And a large number has the same size, for better comparisson I call it the "Greyhound" size: #1 Mercedes Truck, #7 Refuse Truck, #28 Dump Truck, #63 Dodge Crane Truck, #11 Mercedes Scaffolding Truck, #49 Mercedes unimog, #44 Refrigorator Truck, #74 Daimler Bus and I be sure there are some more. Except for the white axle clips Jason found on a Greyhound bus or Johnny Pimp seen on a Vectris Land Rover (Which are a level higher than the red/reddy brown ones I think) it is certainly that they made the red/ reddy brown ones just or mainly for that axle clip size. Or are there larger axle clip sizes as used on e.g. #29 Fire Pumper or #42 Iron Fairy Crane in red/ reddy brown we know?
I wondered a lot why Lesney would use an extra plastic colour just for a small run of axle clips. So I started searching exaclty this reddy brown colour on other plastic parts made for models by Lesney at this time and made a find in my Sf' spare parts/ Sf graveyard box :D . In my opinion it's the same plastic colour as used for the plastic suspension on smaller Sf models, in this case on a Lamborghini Miura.
Considering how small a proportion of production these red clips are, they could just be one batch of plastic clips made when they had no black dye -perhaps it took 1 day, a few days or a week to use up that dye.
I think this is a reasonable assessment and that was my first thought, too.

I can't imagine that they made axle clips for a special marked. I think boys in this age (not as us large boys[excluding me :D ]) would not pay much attention to axle clips and they don't care if they are red or black. A special colour, non-standart wheel types or homeland brands (e.g. Germany-Aral) were more effective for realeasing models for a special marked.
But that's just my opinion, I'am looking forward to your assessments and ideas!

Greetings,
Linus
Attachments
DSC_1926.JPG
DSC_1926.JPG (154.48 KiB) Viewed 223 times
DSC_1923.JPG
DSC_1923.JPG (205.77 KiB) Viewed 223 times
DSC_1924.JPG
DSC_1924.JPG (153.76 KiB) Viewed 223 times