VBD Members ebay sales

Anything eBay, Tell us your story, win lose or warn!
DrJeep

Re: VBD Members ebay sales

Post by DrJeep »

yes, I thought they were cheap too, given that the going rate for a red 45a seems to be around £4k, and some recent 45as have been very unconvincing.

I think that the person who put in a load of bids on 20 February may have put others off - presumably the objective of this strategy of multiple bids rather than just a single maximum.
Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 19.38.33.jpg
Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 19.38.33.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 7026 times
From this I think we can reasonably assume that the highest of the bids was around £10k or even more. This person was certainly determined to win!

What do others think about private listings? Does that make a difference, I wonder?

Anyway, I'd really like to thank Mal for sharing the very detailed pictures of these amazing historic Lesneys.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Private listings tend to put me off, because I cannot see any reason for them since Ebay started anonymising bidders identities (although, as we well know, the resultant name contains clues which, with luck and perseverance, can be used to reveal the Ebay ID). However, in this case I'm convinced that everything was above board, and I assume that Mal was just doing his best to ensure that his customers' identities were well and truly protected.
The point about the going price of red 45a Victors is well made, but I have the impression that many collectors only aspire to catalogued variations of released models, with the result that non-standard items (such as these) often struggle to reach their full potential.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Idris wrote: The point about the going price of red 45a Victors is well made, but I have the impression that many collectors only aspire to catalogued variations of released models, with the result that non-standard items (such as these) often struggle to reach their full potential.
I agree with this.

Take 30 examples of #24 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow models to auction which the owner knows contains many unlisted variations and they will likely be lumped together in maybe just two lots, hiding the hard to find variation models so they go for the going rate of known recorded common models, far from their true potential.

Ghosthunter.
roger the dodger

Post by roger the dodger »

Please search my item number 313015062121 for sale.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

roger the dodger wrote:Please search my item number <a href="tel:313015062121">313015062121</a> for sale.
Here’s the direct link. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matchbox-Sup ... 3015062121
Not my area, but a fascinating item. What’s the story behind this one?
roger the dodger

Post by roger the dodger »

I made a small bit of info available about this model on thread title (Model fire engine. Rare. V Large. K-94) Under--- eBay heading sales section. Thanks.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Reverse color wrecker "filler" and a Custom Tribute to the 51a based on a 44c. Now on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/tinman1332/m.h ... 7675.l2562
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Viewfield

Post by Viewfield »

Tinman wrote:Reverse color wrecker "filler" Now on ebay.
Is there anyway this model has been marked as a “modified model” ? I accept that the description definitely says it is but what prevents it being offered by some unscrupulous reseller as the original when it’s been perfectly made to represent the original.

Rod
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

For me the BP labels do not look anything like as good quality as originals and I would imagine the base rivets now do not look original.

Ghosthunter.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Viewfield wrote:
Tinman wrote:what prevents it being offered by some unscrupulous reseller as the original when it’s been perfectly made to represent the original.
Other than conscience, ethics, respect for other human beings and laws, there is nothing to stop anyone from telling a lie about anyone or anything and saying it's something it's not.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."