New variation SF19 F1 Lotus

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Idris
Site Admin

Re: New variation SF19 F1 Lotus

Post by Idris »

Hard to believe, but I've found two more: one with undercoat and one seemingly without. (see photographs below). Although sourced from within the UK, they were apparently bought new in 1970 or 1971 on a family holiday in Denmark (which, of course, is where Mick's example turned up).
YY-1.jpg
YY-1.jpg (201.33 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
YY-2.jpg
YY-2.jpg (68.77 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
YY-3.jpg
YY-3.jpg (66.37 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
This brings the total number of known examples to seven. Now, if we ignore the four that came up at auction on the grounds that they had (probably) been been together since they were made, perhaps in the hands of a Lesney employee, that leaves three. Double that for models in sleeper/non-Internet collections gives six, and assume 10 - 15% survival rate yields a total run of about 48. That's 4 dozen in old money, which feels about right for something prepared by R&D as a special order but, to my mind, too many for a simple trial (c.f. the promotional 10c Sugar Container where 30 were produced).
It is tempting to say that, following the collapse of the promotional deal (whatever that might have been), the remaining models (40-ish?) were simply boxed up and sent out with normal retail stock, ending up in Denmark.(Typical 'waste not, want not' Lesney approach.)
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Nice find Hugh, must admit not something I have looked for but will keep
An eye out for one .
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Very nice! It was good to read through the old thread too. I'll be looking too but I expect Jason will get there first!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

There is some sort of saying...

Somewhere out there, there is a bullit with your name on it''

with Jason its matchbox models :D

Ghosty.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Excellent finds Hugh, I can't believe it's five years since this thread started. Is that remnants of sticker glue on the right hand model in your first photo?
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
motorman

Post by motorman »

Superb to see more of these turn up. Well done Hugh.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

johnboy wrote:Is that remnants of sticker glue on the right hand model in your first photo?
Yes, it is, but there does not seem to be any at all on the other one. (Could this be something to do with when the sticker parted company with the car?)
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I think there are two interesting points here:
1) We now know that at least two, possibly three, of the known examples were purchased in a normal retail outlet, and
2) A significant number of models were made. (N.B.This statement can be disputed since we are talking statistics here, and it is always possible that this model simply has an unusually high proportion of survivors.)
The above points raise a number of questions:
Why did R&D produce so many models? If it was indeed several dozen, that's more than you would need for a proof-of-concept or simply to show to the client. It's more like a small order. Why dis Lesney agree to it? Small orders of this type were only entertained very, very rarely, and surely the Company was still putting all it's resources into low-friction wheel conversions, recolouring existing models, and tooling up new, fantasy vehicles for launch. Also, given the seemingly special nature of the order, why were the models not passed on? The only thing I can think of is that, whatever event or launch they were for, it was cancelled and so the models were never sent/picked up. Even so, I find it surprising that the Company apparently simply boxed them up and sent them out with normal production rather than simply throwing them away or selling them off in the Company shop. To me, this supports the idea of there having been a significant number of models to dispose of and therefore money to be recouped.
racer X

Post by racer X »

The angle of the axis of the steering wheel is diffrent. more horizontal in the repainted one.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

racer X wrote:The angle of the axis of the steering wheel is diffrent. more horizontal in the repainted one.
I'll check what's going on there, but I think it's probably because the driver has ended up slightly further forward on that model, so causing the steering wheel to be pushed down.
Incidentally, it's not been repainted as such, it has received two coats of paint at the factory.