A warm welcome to the VBD forum

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
Michael-D

Re: A warm welcome to the VBD forum

Post by Michael-D »

Hi. I've only just joined and managed to log on. First shock. I didn't realise the forum was Matchbox specific! I assumed it was diecast in general. Oh well. My mistake.
I'm Mike. 71 years old. After almost a lifetime of living in London. Two years ago I moved to Central Scotland with my daughter.
My area of specific interest is 1/76 buses Mainly EFE. After an initial impulse buy of a couple of buses at a car boot sale. It was then that I decided to concentrate on pre privatisation London Transport buses. So that is what most of my collection is about. Apart from a local celebrity route. "The Trossachs Trundler". Operated with a Bedford OB coach.
When I lived in London I used to commute twice a day past the Lesney factory in Hackney. Before it was demolished and houses built on the site.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Welcome to the forum Michael. Firstly the forum is not exclusively matchbox, if you take a little time to familiarise yourself with the various threads you will see we have a large membership with many diverse interests in many different manufacturers and I am sure there will be a few members glad to see another bus enthusiast posting. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We would also love to see some images of the buses you have collected. But most of all please enjoy your time here, you are amongst friends.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Michael-D

Post by Michael-D »

Many thanks Motorman and thanks for the welcome. I see that you're not too far from my neck of the woods.
I look forward to chatting with other bus enthusiasts. I will get some pictures of my stuff on soon as possible.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Welcome Mike from Ontario Canada
I am not here enough, but when I am I concentrate on Dinky and Corgi and 1/43 scale. I have quite a few smaller scale Matchbox and Lesney but like you they are not my primary interest. However, I still love this forum. Lots of great collectors here to share your stuff with and learn from.
Play with toys and be forever young!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello Mike, welcome to the forum. I think the earliest 'EFE' models do now qualify for this forum don't they, maybe you can tell us by starting a section for 'EFE' in here...viewforum.php?f=16 and give us a little background story.

Ghosthunter.
Michael-D

Post by Michael-D »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Hello Mike, welcome to the forum. I think the earliest 'EFE' models do now qualify for this forum don't they, maybe you can tell us by starting a section for 'EFE' in here...viewforum.php?f=16 and give us a little background story.

Ghosthunter.

Maybe once again I've misinterpreted the aims of the forum. My buses, whilst perhaps not being vintage in manufacture, do represent London buses from the 1940's to the 1970's. There are no Leyland, Volvo or Scania rear engined mobile 'biscuit tins' in my collection! I have also always been a tad OCD about the essence and character of a model as well as the overall condition. Modern manufacturing methods have enabled them to create stunningly realistic examples of their 1/1 counterparts with flush windows and rear view mirrors.
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Hi Michael.
I like to think that this forum is more about the friendships formed between toy collectors than what brand of toys we collect. Some of us have been chatting online for 15 years or more. And I hope we will be able to say the same in 15 years time. Welcome to the forum.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
daz28

Post by daz28 »

Hi Mike welcome to the forum
A great bunch of collectors on here, I wish I had more time to join in .
I like any old cars/lorry's and busses and look forward to seeing your collection :D
Kev68

Post by Kev68 »

Hi I'm new to the forum my interests are stationery toy steam engines and collecting dinky cars, I have recently acquired a Standard Vanguard Saloon car No 153 by Dinky and can't wait to expand my interests within the forum. :D
Fred7A

Post by Fred7A »

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum. I collect 1/76 London buses too, so it would be great to see some of your collection.

Below is a picture of a simple modification I made to an EFE STL to represent the final prewar 15STL16 version, using the radiator and wheels from a 10T10.
DSC00180a.jpg
DSC00180a.jpg (172.23 KiB) Viewed 14925 times
Ghosty, I agree with having a new topic for EFEs where you have said (although of course they aren't made in the UK!), but I would suggest that it also includes other similar bus models, to keep them all together. I haven't been on here much lately, so I will need to make more of an effort...