What's happened to the forum?

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
francipe

Re: What's happened to the forum?

Post by francipe »

[quote="DrJeep"]On my iPad I can add pictures but I have to do it before entering the text. Previewing the post reveals the attachment area again though it seems like the option to place images in the body of the text has gone and they can only be at the end.

[/quote]

I've been able to add photos in place by submitting the message and then editing it. I then found the captions I had added were placed under the wrong photos so had to edit these and put the wrong caption under each photo. On a minor point the text of the message shows the details of the photo filenames. This can be seen in Bob Tutt's Walker's Bread Van post in the Yesteryear thread.

[quote="LUFF"]Thankyou for the update , in the corgi vintage bus lines topic some of the replys have disappeared just the empty reply box left also one picture.
[/quote]
You can view the message in the 'empty' Reply boxes by selecting the Quote option at the top of the post.

Another nail in the coffin - as can be seen, the Quote facility isn't working properly. Ho hum.
AJR

Post by AJR »

So, what is actually the problem here?
Most forums are built on a hosting platform ... in which case THEY should be sorting things out for the user.
Some forums can be tweaked by the user ... in which case the user has tweaked beyond the platform capabilities.
Not that I know owt about the technical side of things but after almost two weeks of down time, a text only forum isn't looking good.
Yes we can add photos in a convoluted way but for every photo added, I lose the text and have to keep cutting, saving and pasting.
francipe

Post by francipe »

[quote="AJR"]So, what is actually the problem here?
Most forums are built on a hosting platform ... in which case THEY should be sorting things out for the user.
Some forums can be tweaked by the user ... in which case the user has tweaked beyond the platform capabilities.
Not that I know owt about the technical side of things but after almost two weeks of down time, a text only forum isn't looking good.
Yes we can add photos in a convoluted way but for every photo added, I lose the text and have to keep cutting, saving and pasting.[/quote]

I can't say what might be wrong with the software providing the Forum. I expect Nick and Co are doing the best they can.

I found I was losing text when using Preview but realised I hadn't checked the parsing box at the bottom of the screen. Having worked in mainframe computing for 30 years I am familiar with the backup process before making a change. Here this consists of copying the text before pressing Preview or Submit. Sometimes I even remember to do it.
jsherwood

Post by jsherwood »

Hope the forum is fixed soon -
I still can't post photos despite the previous advice

Cheers
John
francipe

Post by francipe »

[quote="jsherwood"]Hope the forum is fixed soon -
I still can't post photos despite the previous advice

Cheers
John[/quote]

Here goes
Screenshot_20210315-113126.png
This is a test I did using the following steps.
I had some trouble using Preview which returned a blank entry screen but not every time, so I decided just to post an initial message.
Then edit to add the photo.
Then edit to place inline.
Then edit to add this step by step detail.
Which results in the photo dropping to the end of the post, although the filename is shown in the correct position. So I guess this could be replaced with text saying see Photo # below.

There's other variables to take into consideration.
I'm using a Google Pixel 2 phone on Android.
I use the Brave search tool (have done since Android ceased to allow multiple Google windows with any ease, long story).
There's a lot a variables which might bring different results, but it mostly works for me. Just tedious and annoying.
Moyboy

Post by Moyboy »

The host service does not provide maintenance or repairs to a program running on it as it has nothing to do with the hosting. I had a few probs on Moyboyz as not conversant in PHP I got a guy off Airtasker who did it for a very reasonable amount.
It is basically a glitch in the program to be sorted out as php is run along lines of text that revert to other lines and back again. Someone posting a wrong thing can cause it or it maybe a bug in the program itself that just sets it off even after all this time.
If you know little of PHP programming I suggest Nick finds someone online as all he has to do is provide access and password to the Cpanel bit on the host platform to allow access to the files.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM YOUR SITE ADMIN AND MODS:

The problems with VBD began in the late afternoon/early evening of Wednesday 3rd March. I contacted Nick via Facebook Messenger about 7:30 p.m. to notify him both of the issues and of my suggested solution. He promised to take action.
Alex (Motorman) contacted him on Friday 5th March, and Nick denied there were any problems with the Forum. Subsequently he acknowledged that there were and said they would be fixed on Monday 8th. (They weren’t.)
Kevin (Ghosty) then managed to speak to him twice on Zoom/FaceTime-type call and, once again, received an assurance that the Forum would be fixed “…in a few days…”. (It wasn’t.)
So, here we are, almost a fortnight in, and the Forum is still broken.
My tentative analysis of the error messages is that the hosting company has updated some of the files on their server and that this has created an incompatibility with one or more Forum files. (The Forum runs under a program called phpbb, which seems to consist of both forum-specific and host-specific files.) Furthermore, the Forum’s Administration Control Panel carries (and has carried for over a year) a warning that the site is running an outdated version of phpbb.
It would appear that, in order to fix the Forum, all that is required is for a number of files on the server to be updated with the latest version. However, neither I nor any of the Mods can do this because we do not have the website access codes. (I have requested them from Nick many, many times over the course of the last twelve months, but have always been ignored.) Nick has them, but is unwilling to release them either to me or to a Mod in spite of the fact that he is apparently unable to resolve the issues himself.
Rest assured that the Mods and I are beavering away in the background to get the Forum back up and running but, realistically, our hands are tied by the fact that we cannot access the server-side files, which is where we believe the problem lies. Without those access codes, all we can do is lobby Nick to take action.
We are also working on a Plan B, should the current impasse continue for very much longer (but more of that as and when it becomes necessary).

Hugh/Idris
Site Admin., VBD
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I am assuming the passwords and / or codes you use Mick will not work for here!!
AJR

Post by AJR »

Thanks Idris for the update. I was going to suggest that all posts from 3rd March be deteted (with notice given to back up a thread if need be), but from what you have said, that isn't going to work because if the host has changed a piece of code, that problem could be anywhere.
Might it be the change that was made to auto-reduce photos a few months back that is now suddenly incompatible?
I don't know ... just a suggestion.
In the meantime, instead of posting a sheaf of photos one at a time, I made a montage on my own computer and posted that as one photo instead.
That may be a bit of a task for mobile phone posters though.
Moyboy

Post by Moyboy »

"I am assuming the passwords and / or codes you use Mick will not work for here!!"
Correct Kevin. here is a shot of my CPanel and Nick's would be much the same. There are updates to phpbb3 program and if not done we get to where the site is now. Trouble is if you have modified the program in any way like adding in things such as advertising, birthdays etc then it needs to be done a certain way or will not work. Unless you really understand php it is no point trying to fix it as you will probably crash the lot. Far better to let a proffessional sort it out for less than a 100 bucks and be done with it. Mine was fixed within 3 days of getting the guy online. You have to give them the site Cpanel link and password plus the database password in some cases so he can access but you can change these after they have finished. It's not exactly anything valuable in the files like bank details etc so all should be ok as just basically a hobby site.only relevant to those who use it so I don't see why the problem here.
Cpanel.jpg