Prototype Chassis

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Prototype Chassis

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

That blue prototype posted by Mr Mokosex (fabulous username by the way!) looks a bit like the Vauxhall Guildsman...is it?
MOKOSEX

Post by MOKOSEX »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:That blue prototype posted by Mr Mokosex (fabulous username by the way!) looks a bit like the Vauxhall Guildsman...is it?
These are the saved auction photos of the bodies :D
i don,t think its a guildsman but not sure
dave
Attachments
540x360 (28).jpg
540x360 (17).jpg
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

DrJeep wrote:Christian has a picture of a prepro VW camper with regular wheels, implying that it was around before the Superfast launch.
Yes, that's an intriguing photograph. I just wish there was a baseplate shot to accompany it. However, that's not quite what I meant by my comment. Let me try again.
If we accept that the wheels on the prototype chassis are prototype disc wheels, then that means that the chassis (bearing the number 23 and therefore seemingly destined for the 23e VW Camper) pre-dates the well-known disc-wheeled Lotus,Lamborghini, and BMC. However, I am not aware of any examples of the three sports cars with those prototype disc wheels, and similarly I have never seen a photograph of a 23e Camper with disc wheels. This suggests to me that priorities may have changed within Lesney as the Superfast project progressed, with the development of a not very interesting camper being sidelined in favour of other, more exciting models to act as the flagship designs for the new concept.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

I have a early VW unpressed, this is the chassis compared to the prototype one.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I tend to go along with what Hugh is getting at and if I could find my Superfast article on the forum it may add something to the mystery.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Idris wrote: If we accept that the wheels on the prototype chassis are prototype disc wheels, then that means that the chassis (bearing the number 23 and therefore seemingly destined for the 23e VW Camper) pre-dates the well-known disc-wheeled Lotus,Lamborghini, and BMC. However, I am not aware of any examples of the three sports cars with those prototype disc wheels, and similarly I have never seen a photograph of a 23e Camper with disc wheels. This suggests to me that priorities may have changed within Lesney as the Superfast project progressed, with the development of a not very interesting camper being sidelined in favour of other, more exciting models to act as the flagship designs for the new concept.
Yes, I see what you mean, and that seems quite likely. Alternatively I wonder if the thicker axles might hint at an alternative wheel design for commercial vehicles - wasn’t there some thought that these might not follow the full Superfast route?

Anyway, it’s an intriguing item and someone got a bargain with the one that sold recently! As a child I found the camper enormously more interesting than the first sports cars.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

DrJeep wrote:...wasn’t there some thought that these might not follow the full Superfast route?
Yes, I think it's generally accepted that was the original idea, with Jack Odell digging his heels in over the conversion of anything other than cars (and I don't think he was convinced that that was a good idea either!). Also, one of the transitional period catalogues has a special symbol for Superfast wheels and it is only shown against non-commercials, plus there's the "Victor" advertisement dated 28/5/70 which proclaims "...we're adapting all our existing cars to Superfast. O course you'll still be able to buy our "MATCHBOX" trucks, buses and lorries for your collection.".
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:...the axle-ends NOT recessed into the wheel to prevent snagging your fingers.
Also probably an indication of these being an earlier design.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Idris wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:...the axle-ends NOT recessed into the wheel to prevent snagging your fingers.
Also probably an indication of these being an earlier design.
Yes, good point. I imagine there must have been lots of frenzied activity associated with the enormous change of direction - not only the new wheels but also the new, often less realistic, models. It’s great that this little slice of history survives.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

DrJeep wrote:I imagine there must have been lots of frenzied activity associated with the enormous change of direction
Hense the reason for suspending all the Models of Yesteryear production so they could concentrate on the Superfast project.