6b with silver trim

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Tinman

Re: 6b with silver trim

Post by Tinman »

Idris wrote: I'm sorry Joe, but I strongly disagree with this approach.
OK, I don't wish to argue with that point (seams reasonable/rational).

Perhaps we can talk about the fact that it's not mask sprayed. Would you agree to entertaining a discussion about hand applied trim when mask spraying was the method now in use?
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Tinman wrote:Perhaps we can talk about the fact that it's not mask sprayed. Would you agree to entertaining a discussion about hand applied trim when mask spraying was the method now in use?
By all means. That is an extremely important aspect of whether any of the models shown might carry genuine ex-factory trim, and one which needs to be bottomed out.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

By the time this one was made, the only 1-75 model receiving hand applied trim was the Milk Float horse.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Would a mask be feasible given the protruding angular front bumper? If the intention was to paint, let's say, only the front face of the grill and maybe also the header tank, wouldn't that present problems with getting the mask in close enough to prevent significant overspray onto the model?
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Mask spraying can be accepted here as a quicker method of getting gold or silver trim to the required areas on models but there must have been some models that a mask was difficult to use and hand painting carried on for the duration of that models production.

There is also the possibility of not enough masks or a damaged mask so a revertion back to hand painting must have taken place for some models.
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Idris wrote:Would a mask be feasible given the protruding angular front bumper? If the intention was to paint, let's say, only the front face of the grill and maybe also the header tank, wouldn't that present problems with getting the mask in close enough to prevent significant overspray onto the model?
The mask could be recessed in line with the bumper so that when the model is presented to the mask only the grille and header tank in line with what is cut out in the mask is sprayed.
However if the lady presenting the model to the mask is off line then overspray most likely to one side would occur.

However to date I have not seen any photos that are good enough quality to convince me of mask spray on the 6b.

From what I have learnt with the mask spray stations there may have only been 2 stations per model.

Some masks were delicate like for the 72a Fordson spraying the grille with a vertical separation line. Some brilliant spraying on these.

Masks were also curved and had horizontal slits for the bumper to be trimmed along with curved grille and lights like the 50a Commer with little overspray.

A mask to suit the 6b grille only would be one like that used to mask spray the grille only of the later 40a Bedford tipper as per Nicks code 13 and 14. the bumper protrudes and does not get sprayed. None of mine have overspray.

Given that so far we have not seen a 6b with mask spray I would suggest there was some other reason for not spraying them.

Bert
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Well if they can mask spray the 7a milk float, a mask can be designed for just about anything. Mask design and casting seemed to be a fairly simple process as many models saw multiple different mask designs over the life of the model. The 6c began life with mask sprayed trim until it was discontinued as a cost cutting measure. If the powers that be at Lesney wanted the 6b to have trim, why was a mask never made? There are several examples of hand trimmed models that converted over to mask sprayed trim as soon as the equipment went online. The fact of the trimmed models are so varied in their trim application, the trim being randomly applied to models that progressed through the time line, the sheer minority of trimmed models and the information above has all gone into my belief that the models were not factory trimmed.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Joe, we have to attempt to separate the wheat from the chaff. At the moment, the waters are undoubtedly muddied by numerous examples with post-factory painting, most probably applied so they could be used on model railway layouts (despite the fact of the real thing not having a silver grille/radiator).
I still hope that when we have all the information before us, it will become clear whether there is an underlying pattern and, if so, exactly what that pattern is. I expect that the genuine silver-trimmed models (if such things exist) will fall under a single variation code, and suggest that they represent a failed trial.
One idea which I am toying with is that such models might be a very late pre-production batch, which could possibly explain why they are hand-trimmed. (Too much trouble to prepare a mask and then commandeer a spray station for a small number, say one gross, of a model yet to be put into full production.) I know it's a bit far-fetched and currently not based on even the slightest shred of evidence (channelling my inner SMS88 :D ), but it's the best i can come up with at the moment.
tractorboy

Post by tractorboy »

My original thought was that the one I showed was mask sprayed due to the fact that only the front facing surfaces were covered. It was the micro photo that altered that view because of what appeared to be the uneveness (not really a word apparently according to spell checker) of the paint. I'm going to check other models that had trim applied in that period using digital viewer for comparison of paint application.
S20200929_001.jpg
S20200929_002.jpg
S20200929_003.jpg
S20200929_004.jpg
S20200929_005.jpg
S20200929_006.jpg
S20200929_007.jpg
S20200929_008.jpg
S20200929_009.jpg
Not sure if this was masked or hand applied
S20200929_011.jpg
S20200929_012.jpg
I assumed that mask sprayed application would give an fine, even coating allowing casting details to show through as opposed to brushing which would be heavier and obscuring detail. From what I can see this is not the case, application is not consistent being quite heavy in places. Headlights are only partially tip covered but generally round, I guess because mask openings would be small to prevent overspray on the behind.

The paint application on mine still veers towards hand applied - welcome comments.
"What one loves in childhood stays in the heart forever." ---Mary Jo Putney

Rodger
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I've seen mask sprayed models with so much paint applied that there were runs on some and smearing on others. Regardless, of how heavy it was applied, there were always the tell tale signs of mask spray painting.

That said, I don't see any signs of mask spray in the digital microscope photo. That, compounded with the needless separation of the radiator top, makes me think (if it was a mask) such a mask was not of the Lesney style.

On an off topic note, last year I was at a NASA surplus sale and they had one of those digital microscope cameras (complete with monitor) for sale. The asking price was $50.00 (likely a fraction of what NASA paid for it). I did some quick research on my phone and decided it was a good deal and went back in to buy it. In the 5 minutes I stepped out to look up the item and research the price of such a thing - it was gone/sold.  :cry: