Vectis/American Presentation Sets

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
yellowfoden

Re: Vectis

Post by yellowfoden »

matchboxmarcel wrote:Am I right that only sets 1 and 2 were released ?marcel.

Hello Marcel,
Printed information suggests that 8 x PS were done for Fred Bronner for a New York City department store but I have only ever seen the first 5 outer boxes.

I have seen the first five American Presentation sets in various states of condition. An example of the American PS5 is shown on the Vectis site as lot 680. see attached image. However the description is incorrect as it says it is PS3 but the box detail and contents clearly indicate PS5.

As some of these sets have changed hands one has to be mindful of the fact that items sold does not equal items that exist as the same set has sold more than once. Another PS3 I am aware of is missing the end flap.

I know of another set where only 40 percent of the box exists but all the contents are original and this set has never come up for sale.

Here is a scan from a page I have, apologies for the quality but pages are getting fragile for a flat bed scanner, I will try again with a camera and see if I can improve it.
Initially years ago I thought this may have been an artist impression because I could not see the end flaps of the box but I now think they are folded inside the box just for the photo. If you study this pic you can see that the box is has the PS2 models e.g. ambulance and tanker on the front face but the models outside are number 41 to 48 for the PS6 set.

Here is a comment Phillip Bowdidge made back in 1986

“The first three sets were supplemented by Presentation Sets numbers 4,5 and 6 in June/July 1958, No.7 in early 1959, No.8 in September of that year... “

Please note I have edited my post above that had a couple of typos and added the exact wording to the contents listing as described in toy catalogue. I like the description used, some of which would not be familiar to the younger generation.

Bert

ps, thanks for adding your extra pics in your post above John
Attachments
1 PS-6 contents but PS-2 box.JPG
1 PS-6 contents but PS-2 box.JPG (76.38 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
1 lot 680 PS-5.jpg
1 lot 680 PS-5.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

great thread this and nice post.

These are the 2 Hardy has on sale.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

Matchbox1-75models wrote:Be more regular wheels, major Packs, king size, gift sets and displays. Covid kind of ruined the original plan so part 3 won’t be until rnd of this year at the earliest
Hi John, Any dated planned already for that sale ?

marcel
matchboxmarcel
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

matchboxmarcel wrote:great tread this...
I agree. Lots of interesting information, most of which is new for me.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I agree with others, this has blossomed into a very interesting and informative thread. Now that the thread is loaded with photos and information, I do recall seeing photos and descriptions of one of these sets in the past (but do not recall ever seeing any in person). Speaking with my brother about these, he says he has an old Sears & Roebuck Christmas wish list catalog which has one set available via mail order. I have asked him for photos but doubt he will be able to take and send me any in a timely manner (don't ask why).
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Until I can get a moment to photograph my catalogue here is an image I had on file taken from a Christmas catalogue of F.A.O. Schwarz of New York.

If you look at one of the images Marcel has posted of the the PS1 end flap, it has a FAO Schwarz label attached. I would like to know what the label detail means as it does not appear to relate to a price of $3.95.

The other thing that interests me is who was the printer of these boxes, as to whether they were done in the UK and shipped to Fred Bronner or done in the USA.
Note to John. I do not suppose that when the PS3 was in your hands did you notice a printers mark by any chance please?

I look forward to see if Joe’s Sears catalogue, sounds interesting.

Bert
Attachments
1 FAO Schwarz 1958.JPG
1 FAO Schwarz 1958.JPG (103.23 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
tractorboy

Post by tractorboy »

Below is information I found in - Collecting Matchbox Diecast Toys - Kevin McGimpsey & Stewart Orr 1989 that I used (with acknowledgement) in my updated guide.

The first Gift Sets were the idea of American importer, Fred Bronner. In 1957 three different sets were marketed only in the United States and numbered PS.1, PS.2 and PS.3. They contained 8 normally boxed models packed in a Presentation Box. They were sequenced PS.1: models 1 – 8, PS.2: models 9 – 16 and PS.3: models 17 – 24. In 1958 three more sets were issued, again with 8 models per set and finally in 1959 2 more sets were issued. No more sets were issued after this time so models 65 onwards were not available in such sets. By the mid 60’s the sets were phased out. These are some of the rarest Gift Sets and not often seen for sale. Values are estimated to be in the $8,000 - $10,000 range.

Screen shot of the 1st 5 sets (acknowledgement to Vectis for use of auction photos), again from my guide.
Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.54.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 3.54.54 PM.png (496.17 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
"What one loves in childhood stays in the heart forever." ---Mary Jo Putney

Rodger
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

great pictures Bert and Rodger !

marcel
matchboxmarcel
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Vectis/American Presentation Sets

Post by Idris »

Reverting to the original topic, surely the star of the show was the sea green 36c Opel Diplomat (lot no. 4230), with a hammer price of £11,000!
Attachments
36c-20 (S1).jpg
36c-20 (S1).jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
36c-20 (S2).jpg
36c-20 (S2).jpg (13.59 KiB) Viewed 2275 times