Classic Super Kings Muscle Cars from Yesteryear toolings

Non UK made Matchbox toys 1983 on
bobneumann

Re: Classic Super Kings Muscle Cars from Yesteryear toolings

Post by bobneumann »

At the 2021 line preview we were told that there will be a new Matchbox website and they will be selling upgranded miniatures on "environmental" bases, i.e. kind of like a diorama. We will have to see how that comes to pass....

Bob
francipe

Post by francipe »

bobneumann wrote:.

The Retro New "Superkings" range was a wonderful series, espiecially for those like me that collected original Superkings in the 1970's. That same magic all brought together again. The models rolled well for a toy, but had gorgeous paint and metal baseplates.
Bob,
This model has taken me back to my childhood. It was only when I was putting it back into it's box that I realised it had suspension. I can't remember which toy was the first I had with this feature but I recall it was such a stunning idea. Now I thought about that but the collector in me realised 'that's why the wheels and baseplate are different to the Yesteryear, it's a TOY!' Like Woody to Buzz in Toy Story.
I resisted the urge to roll it across the floor. No insurance and any resultant RTA would have been a costly nightmare.
Last edited by francipe on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
francipe

Post by francipe »

bobneumann wrote:.
I was very dissapointed that the range was canceled. It was always hard to find in the stores byt then Mattel canceled the range due to poor sales. Go figure...
Tinman wrote:
Their whole approach to a web site for the Matchbox the line has been pretty piss poor in general.
Mattel's only real competition back in the '80s and '90s was Matchbox. When the opportunity to buy Matchbox came up they grabbed it. Any fool would have used the brand to increase their overall sales but they were only interested in removing the competition. Their greed blinded them and that's why we're here.
Those 4 Yesteryear re-introduction models of 2007 can only have been released to prove that nobody was interested in the range. They didn't know where half the toolings were because they didn't care.

I'm sure you guys already know this but I just get the urge to kick Mattel in the nuts when I can as they took away my Yesteryears. I swore I'd never buy a Hot Wheels toy and now I've discovered the American Classics also based on the YMC Muscle Cars and they're gorgeous. They're also expensive. Ho hum.
francipe

Post by francipe »

I took delivery of the only Code 2 in this series, released for the 2005 Hershey Toy Show. It's available in the UK for £60 plus postage. I paid £7 for mine so that's quite a steal for a brand new, still sealed in the box item, even allowing for shipping at 3x the price of the model. At least this time I didn't have to pay import duty.

As noted above in the thread these Super Kings are much more toys than models and this is even more noticeable on a convertible where the yellow plastic interior screams 'cheap'. Here it is next to the original YMC11 model. I don't think the black plastic is less shiny, just more understated. At least the Super King kept the sun visors and rear view mirror.

The side view shows the same sort of cost efficiency as previously, which is a pity as the side stripe was very well done on the Yesteryear.

matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

Hi Peter,

I would not call this a code-2 but a code-1 promotional.
Was released by Mattel. Th seats have a different color compared to the other green model which was on general release.

A nice model to have,

marcel
matchboxmarcel
francipe

Post by francipe »

matchboxmarcel wrote:Hi Peter,

I would not call this a code-2 but a code-1 promotional.
Was released by Mattel. Th seats have a different color compared to the other green model which was on general release.

A nice model to have,

marcel
Obviously you're right Marcel, the seats are a dead giveaway. A Code 2 model would have had the original white seats repainted not manufactured in a different colour.

I did notice one thing on the box artwork when I put the model back - the body stripe is shown along the length of the car in white and looks good. The 442 logo on the nose is another feature that failed to make the cut.

matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

I real like the artwork on the boxes Peter.
I think these were made by an artist and not computer renderings.
I also think. they were made before the release of the model.
Hence these could be different.
How many do you still have to find from this series from my list ?

marcel
matchboxmarcel
francipe

Post by francipe »

matchboxmarcel wrote:I real like the artwork on the boxes Peter.
I think these were made by an artist and not computer renderings.
I also think. they were made before the release of the model.
Hence these could be different.
How many do you still have to find from this series from my list ?

marcel
Hi Marcel,
I still have to get the two Boss Mustangs and the Ford El Camino. I know the Camino isn't a Yesteryear but it's one of my favourite muscle cars so I might as well have the complete set. I also realise these are probably the most expensive, along with the GTO which I won in an auction on eBay Australia this morning.
The others are still in transit from the States.
francipe

Post by francipe »

I hadn't intended to show every model in this series but the Plymouth Barracuda bucks the trend of penny pinching.

The Yesteryear release is listed as the 'Cuda 440 6-Pack and is decorated accordingly on the hood intake. This isn't repeated on the Super Kings model and it lacks the door handle and sill trim but that has a few embellishments of its own. The front and rear indicator repeater lights are edged in silver, the rear three quarters panel is now finished in matt black and a different shape, completely covering the wheel arch. More surprising is the 440 legend now applied as a lime green outline replacing the solid yellow number on the Yesteryear model.

Surprisingly the interior gets some detailing which would have been put to better use on the open cockpit of the convertible. The steering wheel has a 'wooden' rim and the gear shift is still there but nigh on invisible in the surrounding black plastic.

The front view shows less work done with the YMC02 version having a grey painted grille and more accurate indicator lights.

The rear end sees more tampo printing with the registration plate reading MAH SUPERKINGS 2006 over 71 CUDA, a nice touch.

The overhead shot reveals that the air vents below the windscreen and the 440-6 legend is not longer printed on the hood intake and the roof is now painqted matt black, edged in silver, presumably to hide a not so sharp definition between the roof and body colours. The hood catches are retained on this model and one of the spoilers has been mounted back to front. Surprisingly, the rear window slats are still made of the original material where I would have expected Mattel to go for a cheaper plastic version.

Finally the artwork on the box shows what might have been, illustrating the probable alternative colour choice. It uses the original shape body highlight but not in black and without the 440 logo a silver door handle and a grey grille. It's a pity this didn't make it to production.

matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

super detailled pictures of these models Peter.
You must have a good camera !
Many thanks for posting these.

marcel
matchboxmarcel