Matchbox Originals.

Non UK made Matchbox toys 1983 on
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Matchbox Originals.

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Tinman wrote:I put a copy of my pic in place of the original.
Kevin, you might want to redo my tinkering so every image is from the same cloud source.
I have now re-corrected (if the term exisits!) the text, the small and large print in that first box for the Tanker now both say 11b.

Ghosthunter.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Thank you sir, my OCD can rest now.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I would like to make it 'Sticky' so it remains near the top of the index but I do not have that permission on this occasion (Hugh!).

Ghosthunter.
Leave it with me. (It looks like there's an issue with the properties of this particular area.)
Sorted!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Thanks Hugh.

Ghosty.
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

matchboxmarcel wrote:The same red model (with diecast body) was introduced in the Heirloom Collection 10th Anniversary Matchbox Series collection under its number 52. Not much is known about this promotion and if anyone could supply more information, I would be interested. These were a Christmas time release, but I am uncertain of the year.
This reproduction model is actually made of plastic, only the eye is made of metal. The date printed on the inner box (i.e. the reproduction Matchbox box to which the model is affixed) is 1998. The model is glued on top of the inner box.

The item was produced by a company called Carlton Cards of Cleveland, Ohio and Toronto, Ontario. The outer box says "Contents Designed in U.S.A....Made in China." (One might argue about this statement as the model and box were actually designed in the UK, and it is a model of a racing car designed in Italy.)

Carlton Cards mainly produces greeting cards, but also markets the "Heirloom Collection" series of plastic items which seem to be mainly intended as Christmas ornaments. The items are numbered, and this item is number 48 in the series as printed in the lower right corner of the front face of the outer box. (The number 52 is only printed on the inner box as it reproduces the original Matchbox box design.)

There were some other companies involved, for the outer box also says "Box © AGC, Inc." The inner box features the text "Matchbox® is a registered trademark of Matchbox Int'l Ltd., used under license from Bliss House Inc. W. Springfield MA."

It is noteworthy that Mattel is not mentioned although Matchbox was already owned by Mattel when this item was issued. Tyco is not mentioned either, but as we know Tyco kept Matchbox Int'l Ltd. as its subsidiary company until the end.

The outer box states retail prices of USA $14.95 and CAN $17.95. However, I see that the item is available more cheaply on Amazon and other internet sources nowadays.

By the way, there is another licenced Matchbox reproduction item in the Carlton Cards Heirloom Collection, this being number 87 in the series. It is a crude copy of the MB 213 Ford Model T Van in a "Matchbox Toy Delivery" livery similar to the Collectors Choice issue from 1994. Its outer box is very similar to the one for the Maserati, but it does feature the Mattel name. It also says "Second in a Collectible Series", but I think this (sub-)series did not go beyond two items. Its success seems to have been somewhat limited.
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

Many thanks Christian for the added information.

I also have a Fire Engine in the Carlton series based on a Matchbox models.
Will try to post a picture here soon.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

matchboxmarcel wrote:Many thanks Christian for the added information.

I also have a Fire Engine in the Carlton series based on a Matchbox models.
Will try to post a picture here soon.

marcel
You probably refer to the Denver Pumper reproduction from 2002 (smaller than the original, and made of metal IIRC). That was not issued by Carlton, but by Hallmark. A similar series, but from a competing brand.
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

yes, you are right Christian
I have that model too.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
mmi

Post by mmi »

thanks for updating...interesting article
should have 50+ of these, but as yet.....boxed somewhere....
mmi

Post by mmi »

found a pair of 30141
and 11964 in with some corgi.......47 to go